PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Auto Darkening welding helment

Rezarf
08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Howdy-

Looking for a good quality, safe, and used auto darkening helmet, like Jackson, Miller, Speedglas etc.

A long shot I know, but let me know what you got!

Thanks!

Drew

Uncle Ben
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a Speedglass and it's the best helmet I have ever used. Don't see used ones very often but I bet there is some floating around.

Rezarf
08-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I have been leaning towards the speedglas utility, it is the non adjustable, but autodarkening mask, about 1/2 price of a fully adjustable lense.

What do you think UB?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
not a fan of the A/D
i went with a flip down hood and my eyes don't hurt anymore :thumb:

Uncle Ben
08-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I have been leaning towards the speedglas utility, it is the non adjustable, but autodarkening mask, about 1/2 price of a fully adjustable lense.

What do you think UB?

What is the darkening range? I never adjust mine...it sits on 10 and about middle of the dial sensitivity. It also is great for Plasma cutting as I leave it turned off and the "off" shade is perfect.

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
not a fan of the A/D
i went with a flip down hood and my eyes don't hurt anymore :thumb:
I have a Harbor Freight cheapie, and yeah, the eyes hurt after a bit.
My lovely bride bought me a quality A/D to replace it and no more eye ache!!

The Western Safety A/D would make a great trail mask though.

art hog
08-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a NEX GEN and I like it allot. I weld for 8 hrs at a time and I have no eye strain. Bought it online from Welding depot. $250. Goes up to shade 13 has 4 sensores and is the large view window. 9sq in.

Terry

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
As luck would have it, that is the brand my wife and son bought me. Ditto on the comfort level.

Rezarf
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys, I have been using IanB's nex gen from Jackson and it is a super comfortable hood. My eyes haven't hurt even a little.

The Speedglas is a 10 shade fixed... I think I am going to spring for it... time to sell a few more things on Craigslist. :D