PDA

View Full Version : Tools - What a person should have...

corsair23
08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Need some experts to point me to what a well outfitted tool box should have - I have the typical tools (standard and metric wrenches and ratchets, screwdrivers, pliars, vice grips, etc.) but what about specific items that you need when working on 40 and 80 series rigs? Things like front axle rebuilds, rear axle rebuilds, PHH replacement, brake jobs, etc?

Here is what I've thought of so far:

Torque wrench (have a ft/lb big one, probably need an in/lb little one?)
Metric ratchet wrenches
54MM hub socket (have one for 74 FJ40 - same for the 80?)
Seal and bearing pullers
Brass drift punch dealyoWhat else? It appears I may have the ability to buy some Craftsman tool this weekend for 20% off (sister-in-law's boyfriend works at Sears) so it might be a good time to do some tool shopping :thumb:

subzali
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I would suggest a 3/8" drive torque wrench as well. For diagnostics, compression gauge, vacuum gauge, timing light, multimeter.

I heard today (new one for me) that if a birf just expands but doesn't break then you can't get it out of the knuckle and you have to resort to chiseling - in that case hammer and chisel.

-Metric tap set. At least M6 and M8 (with corresponding JIS thread pitch).
-hub socket should be the same.
-snap ring pliers for outer front axle shaft - can't remember if it expands the ring or compresses it?

nuclearlemon
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
-snap ring pliers for outer front axle shaft - can't remember if it expands the ring or compresses it?

expands the c clip. it should have a flat "foot" on each end. definitely a huge timesaver.

Romer
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
10 mm flare wrench for brake line. Razor blades, trash bags, work gloves, paper towels, work light, voltmeter, wire, crimps, misc connectors, wire cutters and strippers. Soldering Iron, rubber mallet, big hammer, small crowbar, extension magnet to get those dropped screws.

Sometimes I need a deep socket and sometimes thats won't fit and a short socket works.

nakman
08-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Hose clamps. Useful for all sorts of things, not the least of which is compressing the birfield snap ring so you can smack the axle through it. Much more effective than 4 guys poking screwdrivers at each other..

Red_Chili
08-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Not near as much fun though.
Guess what I saw at Checker last night? A Dorman (not chinese, now, but Dorman) JIS (not DIN, though they had those too) fastener assortment in a fishing tackle style plastic box. All ready to go on the trail. Don't forget fasteners!

subzali
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Hose clamps are also good for falling into your intake and then getting dispersed by the law of "equal opportunity" per Mark A. into 3 of your 6 cylinders. On opposite ends of the engine.

Beater
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
bfh

SteveH
08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
How about a set of 3/8" drive, 6 point, deep well metric sockets? Maybe a 1/2inch drive set, too, since you're getting Sears deals. A brass hammer, for sure.

A set of those long needlenose pliers with the bent-over tips - Harbor Fright sells them. Very handy for hose clamps in odd locations. You can get them with 30, 45, and 90 degree bent tips. Wish I bought a set of those years ago. Newer vehicles have more small hose clamps that are harder to get to.

Don't forget the hook-shaped seal puller ($8 at Sears) for removing inner axle seals from the axle housing. Very, very useful on 'cruisers. It's a handle with a hook head that has two hooks - one on each side - for pulling internal seals.

Red_Chili
08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Fish scale. Bearing preload.

Bighead
08-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Fish scale. Bearing preload.
Where do you find those?

BogusBlake
08-17-2007, 08:28 AM
A big hammer, a small hammer, and a spare hammer.

Since you're getting stuff cheap at Sears, you might think about picking up a creeper, big floor jack, or some jackstands.

Is your deal only for Craftsman brand tools? Sears sells DeWalt stuff and Lincoln welders too.

corsair23
08-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Since you're getting stuff cheap at Sears, you might think about picking up a creeper, big floor jack, or some jackstands.

Is your deal only for Craftsman brand tools? Sears sells DeWalt stuff and Lincoln welders too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! Been trying to get a better jack and stands for 6+ months but Sears rarely has them in stock :mad:

I'm not sure if the deal is only on Craftsman brand tools or not...I'll have to check with him. Now I have to prioritize my list because I can't afford to get everything on it :hill: