PDA

View Full Version : howdy

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 12:58 AM
hey there

my names Tasso, just moved up to 4 mile in boulder from cali and found out about this club from ih8mud.com. just stoppin in to say hey and meet some new people, maybe find some wheelin buddies:thumb:

heres a pic or 2 or 4 of my baby, 85 fj60 on OME and claws (with some other minor mods), hope to see some of you guys around... im always down to explore some new places...

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v121/57/58/6419766/n6419766_33452681_9468.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v121/57/58/6419766/n6419766_33452690_2700.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v121/57/58/6419766/n6419766_33452691_3048.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v116/218/23/504586869/n504586869_98006_5662.jpg

Shark Bait
08-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Looks nice. Welcome. :D

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 01:01 AM
also jsut realized all my shots are from driver side... weird... so heres one more, even if its a poser flex shot...

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v121/57/58/6419766/n6419766_33452687_1648.jpg

Uncle Ben
08-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Greetings from a fellow Northsider! ;) Sweet 60! Flex shots look like the top of Carnage in Left Hand Canyon? Great to see the Northside contingent growing! Welcome, looking forward to meeting up with you one day soon! You should check out the Yankee Doodle Kiosk thread....thats not far from you just up above Netherland. :thumb: :thumb:

Romer
08-17-2007, 07:22 AM
welcome to the area, too bad to moved to the North side. Us southsiders are more fun :D

Hulk
08-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Nice looking 60! Welcome!

MDH33
08-17-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm MDH33 on MUD, cool you made it over the RS forum. Welcome. :beer:

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
ooo is there a lil northside southside rivalry? ive been looking for something to replace my norcal socal thing... (im hella norcal...)

anyways, the wheelin shots are all from hollister, ca (it was about an hour south of where i used to live) and the other shot is in my driveway in california... though i do hear good things about carnage...:cool:

so id love to find someone that knows the area up in the hills here to show me around to a few fun and not completely hardcore spots, just some places to kill a day or 2 before classes start... also, i need some advice:

theres a ton of people that have said this and that about tires for the winter, but i figure you guys live here, and actually wheel here too, so yall might have a good answer for me, the california kid. I used to run the bfg a/t before i got my baja claws, and they seemed alright... do i stick with a well known tire? or can i get away with grooving the claws maybe? im a complete newbie to snow and ice, so any advice is nice...

MDH33
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Are you locked? That's also something to consider as lockers and snow don't mix well. A selective locker vs an autolocker is a good choice if you're driving in snow a lot.

AT's are great in the snow, but you would probably be OK with your current tires and siping helps too. I would get a set of chains or two and keep them in your rig for winter.

For a comparison, I have a 60 with open diffs on AT's and it owns the road in the snow. My 40 has an autolocker and rides on Swampers and it's sketch city (but fun with lots of snow driving experience).

Romer
08-17-2007, 12:06 PM
BFG AT KO's perform well in snow. Most problems in snow are caused by driver inexperiance or not understanding the capabilities of their equipment.

I have BFG AT KOs on one truck and Toyo MTs on another.

Sometime having the tires "Siped" at a tire store next time you get them balanced will help with winter traction.

subzali
08-17-2007, 12:24 PM
My 40 has the Lockright in the back with 31 x 10.50 MT/Rs. Last winter it was one of those nasty days where the roads are slick with spotty snow and ice, below freezing temp etc. I was driving Wolfensburger (windy road west of Castle Rock) on my way up to Golden in 4wd. Taking corners hard, throttle down etc. I was amazed at how well the truck did because 40s are notorious for kicking the butt end around on slick stuff.

When I got to Golden I realized that my hubs weren't locked.

YMMV

Oh yeah, welcome - come to a meeting, either drive or hitch a ride! :thumb:

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
not locked, and was plannin on chains already, so maybe some siping i guess... i need a rebalance badly... im also not locked, so thats not an issue... guess ill see what a good tire shop around here can do for me. got a reference for some shop sorta near charleys garage...

as for the meeting, sept 5 i hear, ill be out there unless something random comes up...

corsair23
08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Tasso,

Glad to see you made it over here :thumb:

Looking forward to meeting you and the 60 at the September meeting.

As for the tires, I'll stick with my original suggestion and that is to go to Discount Tire or similar near you and have them rotate, balance, and sipe the Claws and see how they work. Call ahead and see if you can work a deal. I think I paid $15-$20 per tire to have the MTRs on my 40 mounted, balanced, and siped at Discount down at the Littleton store (I didn't buy the tires from them but did buy my Toyos from them). For the most part it is pure profit for them and the better Discount Tire stores are usually willing to negotiate - might not hurt to mention that if the tires end up sucking in the snow you'd come back to them for some ATs :)

On the siping, just get the center of the tires siped. This will help to avoid the tires 'chunking' on the edges when going off road in the rocks etc. (see my lame-o pic :)). The claws may still in the end just be too hard of a compound for snow/ice driving. It isn't the deep stuff you'll worry about, but the hard packed ice type stuff.

If you end up needing different tires the BFG ATs have had good reviews as well as others. I had some Revo ATs on my old Durango and they did good but I'm not sure how big they go up to. If you want a great all season tire the Toyo MTs with siped centers seem to be the bombed! Expensive, heavy, but it seems everyone that has them loves them. Might want to wear out the claws first though :)

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 05:19 PM
hey bud

looking forward to meet yall too... btw, dont make fun of its dirtiness or damage when you see it... she gets riddin hard, and is sometimes a lil shy about it... but shes my baby:Princess: (along with my bikes:hill: )

but ya... next stop, tire shop:snail:

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
o ya, and heres why today got me incredibly stoked on this area....

i figured id just go explore up 4 mile a lil, maybe this lil trail i found that heads over a hill and into gold hill (i forgot its name), and wow... i used to have to travel to hollister or someplace like that to get places like that... now its just 5 mins out of my driveway, and near the top somewhere, maybe closer to gold hill, i found what looked like some lil wheelin place, and a big picnic area with a big fireplace thing... all on one short hour round trip drive... ive always loved colorado, and now i cant believe im livin a dream...

60wag
08-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Welcome to Boulder. The road you were likely on is the Switzerland trail - its an old railroad grade. The picnic area is Mt. Alto. It used to be a notorious place for people to have a high school keggers. Maybe it still is but I had heard that they had come down hard on that lately. Four mile Canyon is beautiful but mostly private property.

You should join us for the Jenny Creek work day next week. Its one of the better close in trails.

Uncle Ben
08-17-2007, 06:20 PM
ooo is there a lil northside southside rivalry? ive been looking for something to replace my norcal socal thing... (im hella norcal...)

anyways, the wheelin shots are all from hollister, ca (it was about an hour south of where i used to live) and the other shot is in my driveway in california... though i do hear good things about carnage...:cool:

so id love to find someone that knows the area up in the hills here to show me around to a few fun and not completely hardcore spots, just some places to kill a day or 2 before classes start... also, i need some advice:

theres a ton of people that have said this and that about tires for the winter, but i figure you guys live here, and actually wheel here too, so yall might have a good answer for me, the california kid. I used to run the bfg a/t before i got my baja claws, and they seemed alright... do i stick with a well known tire? or can i get away with grooving the claws maybe? im a complete newbie to snow and ice, so any advice is nice...

No...no real revelry just some fun poking and prodding! You know the story....the Southsiders are always jealous of the Northsiders and the Northsiders get tired of their whining! :lmao: :lmao: Seriously, the Northsiders have been a smaller minority but the last few years we have gained strength in numbers. Fact is both poles have some pretty awesome people...and we have to share Perry as he lives in the middle! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :hill:

Nemesis Gnat
08-17-2007, 08:54 PM
ya that trail sounds right, and also, a lil closer to gold hill, there was a set of trails that went off up the hill some, they were marked as multi use trails (fo 4x4s too...) kinda wondering what that is...

as for this norside soside thing, wheres the line drawn? I want in on some heckling...

Uncle Ben
08-17-2007, 09:13 PM
ya that trail sounds right, and also, a lil closer to gold hill, there was a set of trails that went off up the hill some, they were marked as multi use trails (fo 4x4s too...) kinda wondering what that is...

as for this norside soside thing, wheres the line drawn? I want in on some heckling...

Wynkoop Brewery (http://http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&output=search&q=Wynkoop+Brewing+Co&fb=1&near=Denver,+CO&cd=1&cid=0,0,16008638522576418560&li=lmd&z=14&t=m)! :lmao: