PDA

View Full Version : How much for this '81 PU?

mhdsummers
08-18-2007, 10:33 PM
This is my bother in laws 1981 pickup.
173,000 miles
Power steering
??? What else should I know about these trucks?

The only bad thing I can see is the frame near the rear leaf hanger. I am not sure why it rusted so bad there. Looks solid everywhere else.
Can this be repaired? I have tools to replace the steel but I am not sure if its worth it or if it would be safe.

It runs and drives well but he hasnt drivent it for a few months after he noticed the frame. He would sell it to me for really cheap (less than $500). What do you guys think. I really like these old trucks.

More pics here:
http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/mhdsummers/81%20Toy/?action=view&slideshow=true

mhdsummers
08-18-2007, 11:17 PM
The rust is pretty bad on the frame. I probably dont want to mess with this thing but the body is in great shape IMO. Anyone want a parts truck for real cheap? Doors are in great shape and sound like new when you open and shut them. Bed looks good too.

corsair23
08-19-2007, 01:40 AM
I had a '82 SR5 PU way back when...I loved that truck! Sold it for flying $$ and to get through college :(

Is it just that one area that the frame is bad? I'm not interested but you might be able to have it repaired well enough and have a nice mild off-roader/utility truck :)

Magoo
08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
for under 500 i would snag it to part it out.
that frame is fixable,i have seen it done in mass where i grew up.i bought my first 83 there and it had been fixed at the frame right there and didnt last long.some last some dont it depends on the quality of the fix.

Red_Chili
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I have never seen frame rust so bad the spring hanger rotated into what used to be frame rail!! Obviously, do NOT drive it. This location is very typical for Toy trucks. The other side, by the gas tank, is likely as bad. The truck I made a trailer out of was bad but not that bad. I basically made new frame rail sections in that case.

The frame is fixable but likely will have to have a large section replaced, more than my trailer needed. You could probably part it out for more than $500, but really is the work worth it?

On the other hand, a good cab and bed would be rare for that era and if you need a truck and a project it could be a fun one. You could build all kinds of things out of it, or you could do a frame-up resto if you wanted.

But the frame is about to reproduce by fission.

mhdsummers
08-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I thought it was very strange too that the body was in good shape but the frame was so bad. The rest of the frame looked like it was perfect. Very strange. I am pretty sure there is no bondo on this truck. It has been in their family for quite a while.
I'm not really up for all the work it would take to part this truck out. Does anyone want it for $500? It is near camp IdRaHaJe between Pine Junction and Bailey. PM me if you want my brother in laws number to take a look. He could probably be talked down on price quite a bit too. He obviously does not drive it in this condition so its not worth much to him right now. One other thing is it needs starter fluid to start but I was told it runs well once started.

Let me know. He will probably have it hauled off to the scrap yard soon if he cant get rid of it any other way.

beatdown83fj60
08-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I'll take the complete cab with the title if the price is right.

Evrgrnmtnman
08-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Looks like a warranty issue! I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them what the "heck" is up with this workmanship....

mhdsummers
08-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll take the complete cab with the title if the price is right.

I am pretty sure he wants the whole thing gone.