PDA

View Full Version : Which week do you prefer for Cruise Moab 2008?

Hulk
08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Neil Quigley is out in Moab today and met with Chad from the BLM. It looks like we have two options for scheduling Cruise Moab 2008:

Wednesday, April 30 - Sunday, May 4, 2008
Wednesday, May 7 - Sunday, May 11, 2008Chad is checking to make sure that he can offer us either week, but all signs are looking good that we can choose.

So here's the question: if we do get a choice, which should we choose?

Neil and I would both like to try the later week for 2 reasons:

Maybe we can avoid the cottonwood mess.
Better weather.I'm posting up a poll. If you don't care (either week is fine, or you don't plan to attend), simply don't vote. ;)

Hulk
08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
FYI, we are planning to tell Chad our preference on next Monday (August 27). So vote now or forever hold your peace.

nuclearlemon
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
will one week really make a difference in the cottonwood? :confused: also, we should consider whether or not anyone has other events going on in moab. the current week is popular because of the car show.

Cheeseman
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM
At this time I am not sure which one to pick. Sounds ambigous I know. I'm not sure how many actually go over on Saturday or the Friday for that matter for the show but I don't think it's as many as we might think. The cotton would be a big influence on me if the later week is better. The calendar in Moab should be consulted in May '08 to see what is happening in town. I'm leaning towards the second week kind of.
________
Religion forum (http://www.religionboard.org/)

subzali
08-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I would say the second week - weather is getting more warm for those of us with topless 40s! :D

Red_Chili
08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
I voted first week, for two reasons:
1) It won't make much difference in the cotton. Even Memorial Day saw tons of cotton.
2) The car show was a hoot, for those who come in the weekend before.
2a) OK three reasons. I like weather and my top rolls down!!:tongue2:

But take my vote with a grain of salt, I will likely not come in early for the car show. Next year will likely see me (and my bride? Dunno) in a cabin. (AC!:thumb: ) The windstorms this year were a real edjumacator. My tent went into the dumpster.

Shark Bait
08-22-2007, 01:42 PM
The folks who love the car show as a prelude to Cruise Moab will be disappointed if the two aren't back-to-back. The first week is the traditional time. I agree, I don't think a week will make a difference in the cotton. If anything our chances for missing the cotton are probably better the earlier we go, not later. :D

wesintl
08-22-2007, 01:51 PM
same week as it's always been

One week won't make a difference in weather or cotton.

Chris
08-22-2007, 02:07 PM
No change is my preference but the hotel I stay at doesn't have any issue with the cottonwoods. :p:

Romer
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
So we want to be fair in voting.

On one hand Rachel, Sarah and me should get one vote because we are the same family.

On the other hand we are also each paid registrants to CM and should each get a vote.

I look to Matt to provide the answer as he is the grand pooba of the club.

Hulk
08-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Just checked on the Moab web site (http://www.moab-utah.com/aprilaction/). The annual car show is April 25, 26, 27, 2008. That's a full week earlier than usual. So we'll miss the car show regardless of the date picked. :(

I think a week later will make a real difference in cottonwood. Remember, it always seems to be finished just about the time we're leaving. That's my $0.02 anyway.

ROD!
08-22-2007, 04:51 PM
So i know that this won't really matter to most of you out there, but being a high school kid, i have Adavance Placement tests during the second week that get me out of college classes so i really can't miss them. SO for selfish reasons i really would like Moab to be from april 30th to May 4th so that i might be able to make it this year! But that is just me. I understand if you don't want me there............*sniff sniff*

Hulk
08-22-2007, 04:55 PM
So we want to be fair in voting.

On one hand Rachel, Sarah and me should get one vote because we are the same family.

On the other hand we are also each paid registrants to CM and should each get a vote.

Any registered user on the forum can vote in this poll. And since all three of you are regular participants in club activities and Cruise Moab, it seems fair to allow all of you to vote.

The Grand Poobah has spoken.

Shark Bait
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Just checked on the Moab web site (http://www.moab-utah.com/aprilaction/). The annual car show is April 25, 26, 27, 2008. That's a full week earlier than usual. So we'll miss the car show regardless of the date picked. :(

I think a week later will make a real difference in cottonwood. Remember, it always seems to be finished just about the time we're leaving. That's my $0.02 anyway.

The people who attend the car show always go out the weekend before Cruise Moab, which will still work if the dates are April 30-May 4. :D

According to an earlier post from Red_Chili, there was cottonwood flying when he was there one Memorial Day. :confused:

Romer
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I looked it up and Mothers day is May 11th in 2008. That and Sarah's school situation I will vote the first week.

corsair23
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I had to vote for the first week. That is the last week of my oldest being off track from school...If it is the second week she can't attend which means the wife can't attend and possibly that I can't attend :eek:

As for the car show being earlier? Maybe I'm calendar challenged :) but if the car show runs 4/25-4/27 and CM08 runs 4/30-5/4 doesn't that mean that the car show would run the weekend before CM like it did this year?

Edit: Chris beat me to the car show and if the 11th of May is Mother's Day as Romer pointed out that could be bad for many folks...

Romer
08-22-2007, 05:45 PM
The Grand Poobah has spoken.

oh yeah, thanks Grand Poobah:bowdown:

farnhamstj
08-22-2007, 09:55 PM
1st week 'cause it's closer to the end of ski season and I usually of travel the rest of May. So, I get a longer vacation the earlier it starts. Maybe Amsterdam to see some tulips and ride bikes.

bh4rnnr
08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
If I do end upmaking it this year, i'll vote for the dates closet to the rod show. But looks like i'll be in Spain instead of Moab this time around :cool: :beer:

Uncle Ben
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
The Grand Bah has spoken poo.

Fixed it for you...:lmao:

Shark Bait
08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I But looks like i'll be in Spain instead of Moab this time around

Usted habla Espanol?

bigbluefj
08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
keep running perry

kevin

PortFJ62
08-23-2007, 12:26 AM
1st week cause we wont be able to come the 2nd due to my wife's freaking job. :bowdown: Please 1st week:bowdown: Freaking wife. Plus if its the second week I wont come cause Im afraid of the number 2.

Hulk
08-23-2007, 08:15 AM
The people who attend the car show always go out the weekend before Cruise Moab, which will still work if the dates are April 30-May 4. :D

According to an earlier post from Red_Chili, there was cottonwood flying when he was there one Memorial Day.

Car show weekend before: right. :doh:D'uh! Sorry for the mathematically-challenged response.

Cottonwood lasts the whole month of May? Yikes.

Mothers Day is part of the 2nd weekend? Looks like we have another good reason for keeping it on the 1st weekend.

Red_Chili
08-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Nature abhors a vacuum.

Apparently she abhors a cottonwood vacuum as well. In Slickrock at least.

Hope the fella who bought those things for shade in 1950 got a really good deal on 'em. I can just hear the tree salesman now... "He bought 'em! I can't believe it. Cheap son of a gun..."

Romer
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a couple of cottonwood trees in my back yard. I love them. The grow fast and provide great shade.

Course, I bought the cottonlesss cottonwoods. I always wondered why it's still a cottonwood if it's cottonless.

nakman
08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
[cottonwood hijack]
I've got a cottonwood in my back yard and it's as bad as Slickrock. Only lasts for 2 weeks though, right around Father's day. My neighbor hates it, because they have to vacuum their astro turf on the porch before the grand kids come over... last year they hired to crew to trim it (yeah they asked, I said you paying? trim away!) and this year that tree came back with a vengence.. I think it was pissed.
[/cottonwood hijack]

Point being, I think those cottonwoods do only spew for a couple of weeks, but it's possible we woudn't reap that benefit unless we did this right around Easter, or Memorial Day. And neither one of those is going to happen obviously.

Remember also it's possible the new committee decides to change campgrounds again, for this very reason. :)

Red_Chili
08-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Uh-oh.

:lmao:

subzali
08-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I retract my first statement: I'll have my hardtop with me anyway (not doing a repeat of this year coming back over the mountains) - plus if there's a free day then we can do a snow run in the LaSal's! :D

nuclearlemon
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
- plus if there's a free day then we can do a snow run in the LaSal's! :D

be a man, do the snow run in shorts, a t shirt and with the cruiser topless ;)

Uncle Ben
08-23-2007, 03:37 PM
be a man, do the snow run in shorts, a t shirt and with the cruiser topless ;)

Ya....what she said.....

Rzeppa
09-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Thank you Wes for pointing out this thread to me; unfortunately the poll is closed, but if it were still open my vote would be for the first week.

Rezarf
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I couldn't vote either.

But if I could the later day works better for me, and I am planning on attending.