PDA

View Full Version : what kind of bug is this?

nakman
08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Praying Mantis? Was on my screen door just a minute ago, now sitting on the deck out front.

edit: yup. http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/mantids/praying/ first one I've seen here..

Jenny Cruiser
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Cool. I've seen them around a few times, but not very often. Feed it a cricket. :D

corsair23
08-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Put a microphone close to it and see if it is really praying. I bet it is just your garden variety Mantis :hill:

Kidding aside that is cool...I thought they were always green but guess not.

nakman
08-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Pretty sweet how well he blended in with the deck, I almost didn't see him when I went back out with the camera. Big bugs give me the willies though..

corsair23
08-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Big bugs give me the willies though..

I think he knew that...Sure looks like he is trying to "stare you down" in that second pic :D

Corbet
08-25-2007, 10:15 AM
We had the green ones in our yard all the time in SLC. I don't think they like the climate much up here in Frisco.

Jacket
08-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I caught one of those in my garage on Thursday. We kept it for a few hours, and my wife claims she fed it a bug.

They must be invading the north end of town....:p:

Uncle Ben
08-26-2007, 07:11 AM
If you check your juniper spitzers you will find several of the beasts! The change colors depending on where they are feeding! When they are deep in the junipers they are different shades of green. Maybe it is a Northside thang! :cool: :rolleyes:

Nay
08-27-2007, 08:13 PM
You gotta love them, not only are they cool looking, but they eat a ton of bugs you'd rather not have and don't bite people. One of the best pest controls in nature, keep 'em around :cheers:

Red_Chili
08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
My son caught one and we kept feeding it flies. It starts with the legs and pretty much all that is left is wings. The fly sort of twitches for a while, then stops. <shudder>

Of course we released it after a while. It burped, which I suppose is Mantis for "Thankee!"