PDA

View Full Version : couple random questions

subzali
08-25-2007, 09:41 PM
With Toyota overbuilding pretty much everything on a Land Cruiser, I was wondering why there are 4 main bearings when the H**P 258 cu. in. I-6 has 7. I'm sure there's a reason but I couldn't even wager a guess as to why.

I had another one but I think I forgot - this getting old stuff is for the birds ;)

Well I did have another one - Red Elephant Hill - if you're on the frontage road from Downieville to Empire, you cross under the interstate, pass the turnoff for Spring Creek, then cross under the interstate again. Is the turnoff for REH on the immediate right? Then you go past a few houses and then begin a long rocky hill climb that ends up spitting you out in the vicinity of Bill Moore Lake?

I'll try to remember what else I was wondering about...

subzali
08-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Another question: so say hypothetically that I've been working on my hard top, repairing the fiberglass. I haven't really seen anything on MUD (maybe I'm just not a patient enough searcher), but I've been taking pictures of the process. Now I haven't done Ige quality soft door repair or buckroseau quality everything repair, so I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to do a writeup for TT. Or if I should just post up pictures here and call it good. I'm just being indecisive and need some opinions to push me one way or the other.

Uncle Ben
08-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Another question: so say hypothetically that I've been working on my hard top, repairing the fiberglass. I haven't really seen anything on MUD (maybe I'm just not a patient enough searcher), but I've been taking pictures of the process. Now I haven't done Ige quality soft door repair or buckroseau quality everything repair, so I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to do a writeup for TT. Or if I should just post up pictures here and call it good. I'm just being indecisive and need some opinions to push me one way or the other.

Matt,
You are doing repair and that is quality! Send it to Todd! Let Todd decide if it's getting published! I have never done hard top repair and I would be very interested and I'm sure at least 90% of the rest of the 40 herders would also appreciate your procedures and solutions!

Hulk
08-26-2007, 07:49 AM
You can even e-mail Todd with the same question and send him what you have so far. He might suggest some ideas that will make your article even better and more useful. I would think this kind of repair is exactly the kind of stuff that Todd is looking for.

SteveH
08-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I read an article years ago complaining about the 4 main bearings (albiet large ones) vs. seven.

I hear of a lot of main bearing failures or snapped crankshafts in 2Fs, so they hold up. Question: Does the 236/250 cubic inch Chevy 6 on which the 2F design was based have 4 or 7 main bearings?