PDA

View Full Version : plow truck revival - 71 Scout 800

nakman
08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Putting this in chat, don't let that stop you from flexing your technical skills though, just want to also encourage other options and the always enjoyable, friendly banter. So I just purchased a 1971 IH Scout 800. Have a clear title, one key that I was told works (haven't tried), and a plow that appears to go up and down, but not side to side. I won't say exactly what I paid for the thing, suffice it to say the car payments are going to be a bit of a stretch for us. But it came with 3+ acres, and a house. ;)

nakman
08-26-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't think the truck's been running for at least 5 years. There is oil on the dipstick (at the full line!), the radiator appears to at least remember being wet inside at one point, though is pretty low on water. The valves look like they've had oil on them at some point in their live. There's a newish (not 70's) Napa oil filter..

I measured 0.18v on my battery with my multimeter.. so yeah it's gone dead but maybe that ol' die hard wants to hold a charge again. Hard to say...

60wag
08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Sweet. Give each cyl a squirt of motor oil in the spark plug hole. Turn the crank with a wrench at least one full rev. Fill it up with juice and then grab one of the spare Orbital batteries you're storing in the front of your 80 and plug it in. I'll bet it starts on the third try :)

nakman
08-26-2007, 08:51 PM
The interior is definitely rough, could use a vacuuming and maybe an air freshener. But it also kinda has that cool old truck smell..

nakman
08-26-2007, 08:56 PM
The guy with a tractor who dug out my old & installed my new septic tank used to know the guy who lived here. Told me who he bought it from, also said he never really got it running but the guy wasn't exactly the handiest of fellas. There's a lot of his un-handiness throughout the property..

anyway he was hoping to score the Scout somehow, wants to put those axles under a 52 Willys project truck of his, said they're Dana 44's? I admit they kinda look like Cruiser axles to me, the difference must be on the inside... in fact the engine kind of looks like a Cruiser engine too, doesn't it? I'm sure the talent exists within the club here to get this going... the shocks are some sort of Ford blue things.. it's leaking plenty good around the inspection covers so that means there must be some gear oil in there, or at least was at one time.

nakman
08-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Last couple pics... one of the plow contraption, the other is a picture of what we're up against.. good sized driveway, pretty good slope too. I actually have 4 chains that will fit this thing, not really worried about the hill as much as I am worried about the thing starting at 06:00 in January...

nakman
08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Sweet. Give each cyl a squirt of motor oil in the spark plug hole. Turn the crank with a wrench at least one full rev. Fill it up with juice and then grab one of the spare Orbital batteries you're storing in the front of your 80 and plug it in. I'll bet it starts on the third try :)

Ok thanks Bruce, so how much is a squirt? Like a capful? And the jury's still out on if I can figure out which one is the crank.. :rolleyes:

If I can't get this running fairly decent my options are either try to pick up another plow truck, or maybe give this Scout to the tractor guy and ask him to plow my driveway all winter. That at least would buy me a little time, but he only goes out when it's 6-8" or more, so I'd be on my own all other times.

PabloCruise
08-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Sa-weet!

Where did you guys move? Looks beautiful!

Shark Bait
08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
If I can't get this running fairly decent my options are either try to pick up another plow truck, or maybe give this Scout to the tractor guy and ask him to plow my driveway all winter. That at least would buy me a little time, but he only goes out when it's 6-8" or more, so I'd be on my own all other times.

Sounds like a plan. Or maybe eBay or Craigslist. :D

Seldom Seen
08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
.... said they're Dana 44's?

Nope. Rear maybe, but I doubt it. Front is most likely a Dana 27. Dana 30, if you're lucky, w/ 27 knuckles.

nakman
08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks TJ, between Indian Hills & Aspen park, closer to Indian hills (n. turkey ck). And yeah one of those sub-$1000 rusty 60/62's that keep popping up would be perfect for this if I can't breathe some lift into the Scout here.. would be a fine last leg of a long journey for it. I'd just have to resist the urge to do a bunch of maintenance & mods.. :)

nakman
08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Nope. Rear maybe, but I doubt in. Front is most likely a Dana 27. Dana 30, if you're lucky, w/ 27 knuckles.

so you're saying other than making this old boy run up & down the hill a few more times these axles aren't really worth much.. ?

corsair23
08-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Sell the Scout and put a plow on the 40 :D

My in-laws live outside of Conifer off Richmond Hill Rd. After sever years of relying on someone else to plow their driveway he finally bought a plow for his Dodge Ram PU with the V10. I tried to talk him into a 40 with a plow on it that a co-work that lived 5 miles from them was selling.

I think in the end you'll spend as much on that Scout to get it running as you would to put a decent plow on the 40. And, you would have yet another vehicle needing attention and probably even more so due to its limited use.

With the 40 you know it well already and during the summer it won't just sit waiting for the next snow to fly :). If you need any info on plows let me know and I can find out who my FIL bought his from.

Uncle Ben
08-27-2007, 05:05 AM
I bet the Scout will run! Unless it has been froze or a bearing has spun. That is the most basic of drive train and even with your lack of confidence I have no doubt you could be playing with it in less than a day. Contrary to Mud belief it is very possible to work on things without a FSM! Yank the battery and swap in your second one. Pull the coil wire and spin the engine over until it has oil pressure. Hook the coil wire back up and start it up! IH engines all have a weird oil drain back system and it is important not to rev it up after you first start it for a few seconds! Start it up and see what happens. Be careful when you move it as the brake wheel cylinders might have leaked down.

Congratulations on the new acquirement of the Scout AND the home! Sounds like you're neighbors with Mr. Zepp?

Beater
08-27-2007, 07:07 AM
those aren't 44's, and they are oil bath type, like the fords used to run. The 800's are not very highly sought after, but they make GREAT work trucks. The motor will start, but you will need to re-gasket the carb. The base gaskets are fairly plentiful, but problematic.

GO HERE: www.binderbench.com or .org... can't remember. I LOVE IH trucks... the tolerances in those motors are amazing.

MDH33
08-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Congrats Tim, I always thought old Scouts were pretty cool (although not as cool as an FJ40 ;) ) I think it's worth getting it running and it will make a perfect plow truck. :thumb:

How about some pics of the new place too? Kim and I are sort of looking around that area (and many others) too for a house. Let me know if you see anything available that's a bargain. :)

DaveInDenver
08-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Man, even I could probably figure out how to get that engine running well enough to plow snow.

nakman
08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Man, even I could probably figure out how to get that engine running well enough to plow snow.

Yeah but only after you wrote 22RE on the valve cover with a sharpie.. :lmao:

Ok so I'm going to pull all the spark plugs, drip some oil down each hole, then disconnect the wire from the coil give it a battery and crank it over a few times. I didn't peek in the air cleaner, so I suspect I'll need to shake some of the leaves out of it.. then hook it all back up and fire!

John, you're saying I need a new gasket below the carb? Neither of those web sites worked but I'll try a little harder later... will that prevent the thing from starting, or just prevent it from running well?

And Jeff I don't have the stomach to put a plow on the 40, I have considered it but I would hate to beat it up, poor thing. And it's kind of on the bubble anyway so I can pick up a commuter vehicle.. :bawl:

MDH33
08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
And Jeff I don't have the stomach to put a plow on the 40, I have considered it but I would hate to beat it up, poor thing. And it's kind of on the bubble anyway so I can pick up a commuter vehicle.. :bawl:

I wouldn't beat a nice 40 by plowing with it either. I thought you had a prius as a commuter??

nakman
08-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't beat a nice 40 by plowing with it either. I thought you had a prius as a commuter??

technically, the Prius is hers.. :rolleyes:

SteveH
08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
No Dana 44 fronts in Scouts until about 1974 - I suspect a D30 or less. Nice ride!

There's a very good chance that thing will make a fine plow truck. It would be nice if it had a higher-end plow on it (power angle, etc.), but no big deal. The 4 cyl engine is literally 'half a v-8' and you can directly bolt in an IH V8 if the 4 is total junk. Compression test it and let us know the numbers.

The Scout bulletin boards should be helpful. With good compression, a good starter, good electrical grounds, new ign. components, and a manual choke, there's no reason that should fire right up in the winter. Install a coolent heater in the lower radiator hose or block and plug it in if it's balky. I don't think you'll have to put thousands in it to get or keep it going. If any leaks are slow, just leave 'em. No need for a parking brake - just set the plow blade down. You can always get it running/driving and keep your eye out for a better plow truck and trade up. You will need tire chains on all 4 wheels to do any serious plowing. I leave mine on my plow truck year round.

Steve

DaveInDenver
08-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah but only after you wrote 22RE on the valve cover with a sharpie.
It's funny, my engine right now is completely stealth, no markings. When I brushed the aluminum on the valve cover (yes, it's brushed aluminum, how froo-froo, eh) I peeled the 22R-E sticker off. But like the saying goes, it does not have to run well, just well enough to plow snow. Seems sooooo simple and being a plow truck...emissions, what emissions?

sleeoffroad
08-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Tim, fwiw, don't spend a lot money on this truck. Plows with old trucks are pretty easy to come by. Last year I bought a running suburban with a pretty new plow on it for $1000. Used to have an old blazer that ran on 7,6,5 then 4 cylinders before I finally sold it on craigslist for $500.

I am currently looking for a 93/94 80 series to replace the suburban.

Romer
08-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Mickey Rubicon is selling his

Shark Bait
08-27-2007, 11:07 AM

FJ80 for $2250

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/405413015.html

Sounds like this one's just what you're looking for Christo.

Hulk
08-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I think this old beast is pretty cool, personally. Has a lot more character than some newer piece of junk. Get it running! :)

Maddmatt
08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Old Scouts are cool, as you know - but I remember last year a lot of cheap, running plow trucks on Craigslist. I'm talking full size Broncos for $1k, stuff like that. Remember your old yellow Datsun? Something like that would kill 2 birds with one stone, you get a plow truck and a wood truck. If it was me, I would spend this weekend getting it running. If it runs, great you're set. If not, get what you can from the plow guy and cruise craigslist.

Of course, plow trucks on Craigslist probably follow the rule of '40's: when you're not looking they're on every street corner for $2500 with no rust, when you are looking rusted out versions with back yard Chevy V-6 swaps (engine chained down for extra strength! Wiring harness from a Pontiac!) are going for $10k after serious bidding wars.

If the Scout doesn't run, I'll search Craigslist for you. Since I'm not looking, all the good ones should be there.

I should get back to work now, just wanted to join in the fun.
-Matt

gr8fulabe
08-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Funny, looking at your driveway, I thought you were going to say you are living at my house!

Congrats on the new house, it looks like a cool place. Even more congrats on scoring a cool old truck with it. I agree with the others when I say get it running. Nothing better than having a plow truck with character!

If you can't get it running, let me know what you want for it. I need a plow truck myself, & if it's cheap enough I might try to get it running as well.

Best,
Abe

treerootCO
08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Funny, looking at your driveway, I thought you were going to say you are living at my house!...
Best,
Abe

I was going to say the same thing. I though Tim bought your house.

wesintl
08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=103839

<3 me some international 800's

nakman
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=103839

<3 me some international 800's

Ouch. kind of a lot of Scout bashing in that thread.. I like the "gets lighter every year" comment though :D .

If this doesn't pan out I should get something like this instead http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/397860779.html

Squishy!
08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I've got a buddy who's friend had one and they were 44's

wesintl
08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I've got a buddy who's friend had one and they were 44's

In Tim's no.. in scout 2's yes..

Time to read up on scouts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_Scout

corsair23
08-29-2007, 03:47 PM
If this doesn't pan out I should get something like this instead http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/397860779.html

Do you like to be cold? :lmao:

Seriously though, unless you are just doing a small area an ATV won't cut it. I don't know how much "driveway" you have, but if it is anything like my in-law's place, you need a truck/plow combo. IIRC it takes my FIL an hour or so to clear off his driveway using his chained up Dodge Ram PU. I guess a lot of it depends on whether you have good areas to push the snow to.

For sure though the first big snow you'll need to invite folks up to have some fun pushing snow around :thumb:

nakman
08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
The picture on the first page shows about 2/3 the driveway. It's pretty good sized, more than I'd want to do on your typical quad or lawnmower with a blade, but I think that 6 wheel jobby would do it. Not worried about the cold, I have a hat.. but yeah at least some heat is better than none.

I'm going to try to get this running on Saturday.. don't have internet at the house yet so it may be a while before I can post up results though. here's an arial view of the driveway before me... :)

corsair23
08-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Dude, get that Scout running or buy a plow rig. That 6-wheeler is cool but IMO wouldn't be good for anything more than that first part by the house before the turn, if that. The distance you have looks to be about what my in-law's have distance wise just straighter and not as steep.

I think the biggest problem my FIL runs into is when the snow is 6"+ deep it starts piling up real quick, gets heavy, and you start getting pretty high "berms" on the sides. If the snow is really coming down he usually plows multiple times but when they got hit by the blizzard it was all over...Front loader time to get them dug out :)

Nice land and house :thumb:

Here is a pic of the in-law's place for comparison

subzali
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
IIRC Scout IIs are the ones with D44s, which many CJ dudes consider upgrades but they are still smaller than Cruiser axles! :lmao:

-Don't put a plow on your 40. Many trucks die deaths due to plowing, mainly (I've heard) from stress on the frame bending it or breaking it.

Binder Bulletin (http://www.binderbulletin.org/)

That truck is easy to work on. It will run. Easy. But don't spend money on it and do not upgrade or tweak it. Let it sit during the summer with its chains on like has been suggested, start it up again in September to make sure it runs, then work it hard during the winter.

:twocents:

Hulk
08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
I just spent an hour at Binder Bulletin, reading all about the old Scouts. I've always thought the original Scouts (not the II series) were pretty cool. I missed an opportunity to bid on one at an auction some years ago. Now I kind of want one of these old machines.

SteveH
08-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Jeff Z. brought up some good plowing tips. Here's a few I have:

Don't let the snow get deeper than 6" before plowing. Set your alarm for 3 AM and get up and plow, if needed. If it's super-deep, try skimming off 6" from the top and making a 2nd pass.

Plow your road/driveway twice as wide as you think you need to, so that when you get another foot or two, you have a place to put it.

Before winter, study where to stash snow, and where to turn the truck around. That first blizzard will be more fun if you've done a bit of planning.

Try not to plow uphill - but sometimes you have to. If you must and the snow is deep, put the plow at the max side angle to plow the least snow possible or raise the blade and leave 4" on the road.

If you're running a big load of snow into a snowbank, put in the clutch as you feel the snow building up to avoid massively shocking the drivetrain when the truck and snow pile stop moving.

4 tire chains are necessary, but if you get stupid, you can get so much traction you'll bust hubs, ujoints, and ring and pinions. If you put chains on the rear only, the mass and force of the snow will tend to push the front of your plow truck off the road.

Buy several sandbags for the rear of your truck. 300-600 lbs. really helps balance out the plow weight and improves control.

If you get the plow truck really stuck, disconnect the plow, pull out the plow truck, then winch/drag out the plow blade. Imagine a heavy truck with another 600# on the front end and a huge pile of wet snow between the blade and truck, and you'll get an idea what 'stuck' is. Put a shovel in your plow truck - it will bring good luck and prevent you from getting stuck - or so it seems if you don't have one in your truck.

Unless the snow is light, you usually don't want to plow at a great rate of speed. I see guys going 40 in parking lots - if you hit something, it's going to hurt more parts.

Replace the wiper blades and keep the spares - tree branches will snag and remove your wiper blades, launching them far away. The flying snow from the plowing job will require good/functional wipers.

Check the plow-frame-to-truck-frame mounting bolts (they will work loose - replace with Grade 8 fasteners and loc-tite).

Check the plow frame geometry. Some bubba-built plow frames seem custom engineered to snap your truck frame in half. The runners (supports) from the bottom of the plow frame should go WAY back on the truck frame (like behind the front axle) to minimize the leverage on the very front of your frame. I've seen plows with no lower supports at all - a sure way to bend over the frame ends.

If plowing on dirt, set the plow feet so that the blade rides a good 1" above the road surface. If you don't, you'll be bulldozing a lot of dirt and catching the plow blade and tearing up your road.

After plowing with a tractor for years, a plow truck is a big step up - tunes, heat, comfy seat - plowing is actually fun.

You might add some gauges to your truck - old, tired, trucks can overheat when worked hard with a plow and alternators/batteries get stressed by the lights, heater fan, and plow pump motor.

Maddmatt
08-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Plow and wood truck: http://denver.craigslist.org/car/410955983.html

Just need to find a cheap plow.:)

MDH33
08-31-2007, 07:35 PM
I know you don't want to beat your 40 by putting a plow on it, but i thought this would be pretty cool to do if you don't get your Scout going and you can find a rusted out 40:

Buckroseau from MUD built a plow rig from a rusted out shell of a 40 and it turned out pretty cool. I like how he just cut off the rusted out bed and added a custom dump bed.

here's his site (http://www.crustycruisers.com/mattplow.htm)

and some pics:

http://www.crustycruisers.com/ps33.jpg
http://www.crustycruisers.com/ps34.jpg
http://www.crustycruisers.com/ps36.jpg
http://www.crustycruisers.com/ps40.jpg
http://www.crustycruisers.com/ps42.jpg
http://www.crustycruisers.com/pos45.jpg

Jenny Cruiser
08-31-2007, 09:02 PM
IIRC Scout IIs are the ones with D44s, which many CJ dudes consider upgrades but they are still smaller than Cruiser axles! :lmao:

-Don't put a plow on your 40. Many trucks die deaths due to plowing, mainly (I've heard) from stress on the frame bending it or breaking it.

Binder Bulletin (http://www.binderbulletin.org/)

That truck is easy to work on. It will run. Easy. But don't spend money on it and do not upgrade or tweak it. Let it sit during the summer with its chains on like has been suggested, start it up again in September to make sure it runs, then work it hard during the winter.

:twocents:

Matt's right. You shouldn't have to do much to get the 800 going. Mine's a 66 and it has never broken down. The longest I've let it sit without starting it was two years. It started right up. I've got the slant 4 152, which is half of the 304 V8. I can't remember what the 6 cylinder variations are, but I'm pretty sure you have dana 44s in the rear and dana 27s in the front. I know all the V8s were set up that way. The 6 cylinder should have the same set up. The Scout IIs are 44s front and rear. Mine has 27s in both axles and what the factory called a "power-lock" posi rear. I can climb just about anything until the angle gets to the point the float sticks in the little single barrel holley. It's been about six years since I called them, but Get em Up Scout in the Springs should be able to set you up with parts if you need them. Ebay is good too. IIRC IH had a turbo charged 4 or 6 cylinder at one time.:)

nakman
09-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Ok, got it going! Wow you guys were right it essentially started right up. I put about an oz. or 2 of oil in each spark plug hole, topped off the coolant then put in a battery. After about the 4th try I put some gas in the tank, then took the air cleaner off and squirted a bunch of carb cleaner at the carb. Put that back together and it fired right up.

So somewhere between the M1 in the cylinders, the carb cleaner in the carb, and the chainsaw gas in the tank lied the magic potion to get this thing running. I let it idle for about 10 minutes while I met my neighbor (who's lived there 5 years and never seen that Scout run), then went back and did a small test drive. Went about a third the way up the driveway, then wondered if the brakes worked. So I stopped, pushed the pedal to the floor, and then rapidly made it back down to my starting point. Quite the excitement, I was really close to aiming for a tree, luckily I had enough space to run it out.

Today I filled the brake MC with some Dot3, it has two reservoirs, one was down about half way, the other empty, so I topped them both off. Now there is a very "hard" pedal feel, and if you stand on it the truck will actually come to a stop. So I took it all the way up the driveway, turned around, then back down, turned around, and parked it after a successful victory lap. I'm thinking maybe I ought to bleed those brakes, possible I'm pushing air?

corsair23
09-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Congrats Tim :woot:

I'm no help on brakes but congrats on getting the Scout running! I was hoping to make it by your place this weekend but of all the weekends the wife decided we weren't heading up to her folk's place, this was the weekend...Go figure...

wesintl
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
You don't need brakes pushin snow :hill:

Glad to hear you got it going :cheers:

sleeoffroad
09-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Good deal on getting it starter, now the question is will it start when it is -10 outside :D Or keep it garaged when the big storm comes.

subzali
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Sounds like you might be pushing air, especially if one of the cylinders was empty. Good work Tim! Gotta love old engines, no matter what they're off of!

trucruiser
09-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Good job,
I think that will make a fine plow truck.
scouts are pretty good.
My dad had a few when I was growing up and they always have been pretty capable.

PatrolMan
09-07-2007, 10:10 PM
So just as a all-around general 4x4 nut, I have some info for the Scout. All this is from the Standard Catalog of 4x4s by Robert Ackerson. Technically there wasn't a 1971 Scout 800. There was a strike at the plant and all the Scout 800's were labeled as 1970's even if they were made into early 71. Later 71 the Scout II was made for the 1971 model year. The Scout has a 6 cylinder based on the pics. It is a 232 engine that is actually a AMC/Jeep motor. A derivative of the 258. Good solid motors and parts are easy to get. 1973 was the first year to offer the Dana 44 up front. It was an option in earlier years but usually only put on V8 vehicles. The non-44 axles aren't worth much more than scrap. The engine isn't either really. Apparently the body isn't much more than that either.

Plowing is torture on a vehicle. I have stripped out plow trucks before. If you are going to want to plow, this should be the perfect vehicle if it starts in cold weather. I would keep a block heater on it when you think you need it. Also, as stated before, I would just keep the chains on year round. I would air the tires down, put the chains on, air the tires up. Then they will be snug and won't need tensioners. Also as stated, anything more than about 6 inches piles up fast! It is also best to plow downhill if possible. I always kept my truck pointing downhill. Unless you have the $ to buy some sort of tractor/loader, I would just use it till it pukes. At least it is a good rig.

If you wanted another option besides the ATV, take a look at my newest "toy".
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cushman_Trackster/?yguid=105934776
Sweet little rigs. Mine is getting a plow and has a full hardtop and hard doors. Has a 0 degree turning radius. Should be a great winter ride!

Best of luck! Let me know if you need some advice. I used to have a 258 Scout. It rotted out and now I have a 345 V8. Still have some of the 258 parts. Easy engines to work on.

nakman
09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
This is great stuff, thanks.. Man, that Cushman looks like a ton of fun, but that's starting to border on snow-cat. Hey maybe I should just pick one of these up http://www.snotrans.com/equipment2.html

but as for the Scout I'm going to bleed the brakes later this fall, put in a new battery, and fill the tank. I've got a spot up next to the house where I can park it, then it's an all downhill shot to the road, also I'll get my chains on there as well.

Can you tell me the shift patterns? On the tranny it appears that up and left is reverse, then down and left must be 1st.. that's as far as I got though in the driveway, so must be just like a 3-speed cruiser, where to the right is just 2nd up and 3rd down? What about the t-case? "forward" seemed to be geared lower than "back," so I guess that's low and hi? No idea if I was in 2Lo, or 4Lo, or 2Hi, though, couldn't find a shift pattern anywhere on the glove box or visor. My next though is to just take the plow off, then get crossed up against a bank and see what spins. But would like to verify that the front axle is actually engaged, I think that will help with plowing ;)

PatrolMan
09-07-2007, 10:49 PM
The pics of the 'cats are cool! They won't do a 360 on a dime though. That is one cool part of the Cushman. And it only weighs in at 1,000 pounds. Can fit into a 8' truck bed...

This is certainly drum brakes. Discs weren't offered till 1974. Makes the axles worth that much less. Anyways, I would bleed them out and see if they work better. If they still don't grab, I would really push HARD on the pedal a few times. Maybe a couple wheel cylinders are locked up. Hopefully this will bust them free. Master cylinder could also be locked too. Should bust it free as well.

In regards to the shift pattern, if it is a stick, it should be up/left for reverse. Then down/left for 1st. Up/right is 2nd and down right is 3rd. Just a standard "H" 3 speed. Probably not syncro'd on 1st and reverse. Easy to work on though if needed.

Post some pics of the t-case lever and I can help you out. Some had dual stick, some were single. If it is a single it is likely a Dana 20. That is the same as the Scout II's had. Just trying to remember shift pattern in my head. :) Forward is 4low. I think that 1 shift back is neutral, 2nd shift back is 4 high and all the way back is 2 high. Will have to look at my shifter to confirm that. I likely even have an extra shift knob with the pattern on it.

subzali
09-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Just a note of caution about airing down then filling up after the chains are on: Brian (SeldomSeen) has done that before and ended up having to cut the chains off because they implanted themselves into the tire after they were being used when the tires were full. I personally made up a set of chains for my truck that have the cams, so you get it as tight as you can by hand then tighten the cams. I don't need tensioners but the chains aren't so tight that they don't revolve around the tire. You actually want a little revolving. :twocents:

PatrolMan
09-09-2007, 01:50 PM
How about this ride? Something tells me they won't trade for the Scout though...
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/417628848.html

nakman
10-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Ok, only a couple inches today, but a good warm-up run in the Scout nonetheless... I've also got a new pet, have seen this one (or one just like it) about 4x now, today was the closest I've been to it though.

powderpig
10-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Having Fun are we? The old owner used to feed the wildlife here at the house. So we have some visiter from time to time. About a week back we heard the big cat of the area at about 3am. The lady still lives near by and feeds the wildlife near where she keeps her car, which is a good walking distance to the cabin she lives in, but with in site of where of our bed room. We did not get the snow here, but was wanting it for the mositure. It looks like Colorado Springs got most of this storm. Looking forward to winter.
have fun with the tool

wesintl
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
that's awesome Tim. The scout looks good.

farnhamstj
10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
As my 3 son said,"who dat dog?" or 2 year old daughter,"was das doggie?"

subzali
10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Nice job Tim! Looks good! Not to hijack, but it looks like something isn't quite right with Farnham's truck in his avatar. :confused:

corsair23
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
As my 3 son said,"who dat dog?" or 2 year old daughter,"was das doggie?"

:D

Have to love kids...My in-laws have a regular visitor - a black/gray fox that my 4 yr old pronounces "box"...She gets REAL excited everytime she gets to see the box :thumb:

corsair23
10-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Nice job Tim! Looks good! Not to hijack, but it looks like something isn't quite right with Farnham's truck in his avatar. :confused:

Nothing wrong, it is just winking at you Radar :lmao:

farnhamstj
10-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Nothing wrong with the truck, but the driver.... that's another story. Just breaking trail.

subzali
10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Nothing wrong, it is just winking at you Radar :lmao:

That name's gonna stick isn't it?:hill:

Uncle Ben
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
That name's gonna stick isn't it?:hill:

What do you mean "gonna?" That is your name! :lmao::hill:

http://fasterthantheworld.com/radarbear.jpg

Looks like we need a new smiley....

wesintl
10-22-2007, 02:28 PM

subzali
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh great...

...maybe you could have an FJ40 with a radar on the hood? We don't have any 40s as smilies...but I'm no good at coming up with this stuff...