PDA

View Full Version : Street legal buggy and gun laws in CO

BogusBlake
08-27-2007, 09:03 AM
As my relocation to CO gets closer, I started thinking about a few things-

What does it take for a highly modified vehicle to be registered for use on the street in CO? In AZ, you pretty much just need brakelights (and mudflaps if your regist. says "pickup").

What are the gun laws like there, especially regarding transportation and storage in your vehicle while in the backcountry?

Thanks guys!

farnhamstj
08-27-2007, 06:19 PM
totally depends on county. Eagle co for example. I don't even need turn signals. Don't know about guns.

corsair23
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
You might want to start here --> http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MV_dir/wrap.asp?incl=titlereg

If you can't find what you need then I'd just give 'em a call and see what they say. Thinking of all the scooters I see running around with plates (death on wheels if you ask me) the rules might be pretty relaxed.

As for guns, that also depends I believe on county and city. However, I've never had a problem carrying my rifle in a gun case to the mountains. The restriction is probably more around where you can shoot the gun than carrying it. Obviously I wouldn't suggest walking around downtown Denver with a rifle though.

Magoo
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
80% freedom on open carry, but stay the hell outta denver with a pistol.
rifles must not have a round in the chamber but can be loaded while in the vehicle.other than that its pretty much a pro-gun state.just very few ranges to shoot em.

treerootCO
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I carry my "long rifle" all the time. It fits in the gun rack of the 45. :D

Red_Chili
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
rifles must not have a round in the chamber but can be loaded while in the vehicleRounds in the magazine OK, but not chambered (not loaded). Just bein' real clear.

Basic hunting/vehicle protocol...

BogusBlake
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Rounds in the magazine OK, but not chambered (not loaded). Just bein' real clear.

What if it's a revolver? :D

Good info- Thanks guys! I wouldn't carry in the city anyway.

You might want to start here --> http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MV_di...?incl=titlereg

Surfed around there for a while but didn't find any kind of requirements for a street legal vehicle. I guess Ill just call 'em up.

Hulk
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Might try over here:
http://www.colorado4x4.org/

Probably more folks with buggies.

Uncle Ben
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
What if it's a revolver? :D

Good info- Thanks guys! I wouldn't carry in the city anyway.

Gray area.... Technically, the law clearly states a gun may be transported as long as the chamber is empty. That rule sure doesn't make a revolver safe but it does cover accidental discharge!

No gun in the city is also an iffy subject! There are more reasons to be armed in the city than there is in the back country!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

As a rule I usually don't have a gun in my vehicle when it's day to day driving. I always have one with me if it's an overnighter or someplace I feel one could save my or someone else's life. I view guns as tools and I would never grab a tool unless I planned on using it! But like a toolbox in the vehicle......better to have it and not need it, then need it and.....

I also never get out a gun when wheeling as I feel there is a time and place and others probably would not feel that would be either!

BogusBlake
08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Uncle Ben- You and I think alike.

Ill check out CO4x4 and ask about my street legal issues.

Nick F.
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
In colorado you can legally carry a loaded handgun in your car for the purpose of self defense no permit neaded as long as you can legally own it.

Title 18 of the criminal code
article 12
18-12-105.1(2)(b)&18-12-105.5(1)(c)
and parts of 18-12-105.6

still, stay out of denver.

Machine guns and silencers and all the fun class3 stuff is cool with the proper tax stamps.

ZappBranigan
08-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Blake: Also, CCW permit is fairly easy here. It's handled by the sheriff of the county you live in. In Denver they make it a bit of a PITA but I've heard other counties are much more accomodating. If you are military or have a DD-214 less than 2 years old or a military/police pistol qualification that is less than 10 years old they waive the training requirement. With a CCW you can carry anywhere except where specifically prohibited (Elementary, Junior High and High Schools, Federal and State office buildings, secure areas like courtrooms.) Unlike some states, it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in a bar in CO, as long as you have a permit and the owner of the premises allows it. There is no state prohibition against carrying a weapon at a college or university, but most colleges/universities have their own no-guns policy. Interestingly, CSU in Fort Collins specifically allows persons with CCW permits to carry on-campus.

AFAIK, open carry is legal in any unincorporated part of the state. Not sure about cities and towns. We have a preemption law in CO, which in theory should pre-empt cities from levying their own gun laws, but I know Denver, for example, has an "assault weapons" ban that was upheld by the State Supreme Court.

I think regarding guns, as long as you use common sense and aren't being an idiot, nobody really cares what you carry in your vehicle or out in the boonies.

Magoo
08-30-2007, 02:07 PM
i dont have a ccw in this state cause from what i heard from the instructor was.
if you have a ccw and at anytime your weapon of choice is VISIBLE IN ANY WAY you are in violation of the law.
so i just throw the pistol on the dash if im driving around or at least keep it in plain sight.and in certain county's you can just walk right into stores with a gun on your hip.but i dont really carry in towns.just to many variables.
as far as the revolver goes,there is no way to keep it "safe"(to them) without emptying the gun,so its kindy got its own little niche.
funny to me that you can carry a loaded firearm(not chambered) in a vehicle out in the open but your bow must be in a case.dont get that.

Corbet
08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Where in CO are you moving to? This would help with the buggy question a little.

Where I'm at there are no inspections of any kind. Pretty much goto DMV with title walk out with plates.

farnhamstj
08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
And people wonder why there is so much gun violance in the U.S. You guys drive around with guns in the the car. What the hell for? In case some one tries to jack your rig? yeah right. Ok. maybe if a Guy with a stuck Jeep is throwing rocks at your tent in the middle of the night? Maybe if yor I agree with the right to own a gun but keep it under lock and key. If people break into cars for a $100 stereo....

nuclearlemon
08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
And people wonder why there is so much gun violance in the U.S. You guys drive around with guns in the the car. What the hell for? In case some one tries to jack your rig? yeah right. Ok. maybe if a Guy with a stuck Jeep is throwing rocks at your tent in the middle of the night? Maybe if yor I agree with the right to own a gun but keep it under lock and key. If people break into cars for a $100 stereo....

simple, single woman travelling alone. i've had some creepy experiences at rest stops. i don't leave it in there when i'm not there. if i'm in a hotel, or at a friends house, i take it in with me.

Uncle Ben
08-30-2007, 10:01 PM

EDIT: deleted post....removed foot before hitting submit......:rolleyes:

wesintl
08-30-2007, 10:18 PM
And people wonder why there is so much gun violance in the U.S.

Has nothing to do with guns... and everything to do with the people.

How about all the loss of life from drinking and driving:confused: I guess we should outlaw cars too.

BogusBlake
08-30-2007, 10:40 PM
And people wonder why there is so much gun violance in the U.S. You guys drive around with guns in the the car. What the hell for? In case some one tries to jack your rig? yeah right. .

In Southern AZ, some of our trails are very near the border. We see Coyotes (not the K9) and drug runners ALL the time- they are NOT friendly. You're stupid if you don't carry openly down there at least for the visual effect. I don't expect to encounter this in CO, but that's not the only reason I pack a gun when I'm in the backcountry- it's a tool.

Corbet- My job is in Littleton. I'm hoping to live near there.

Red_Chili
08-31-2007, 08:22 AM
...I don't expect to encounter this in CO, but that's not the only reason I pack a gun when I'm in the backcountry- it's a tool.
Ditto. And I always secure my tools. But make sure they are handy when needed.

Last I checked, all the gun violence in the US could not be traced to uses mentioned in this thread, but rather, quite different uses in quite different social situations.

I grew up in a part of the country where guns were endemic and part of everyday life, and gun violence was unheard of. This shaped my values and my views on the matter. Others have grown up in parts of the country where guns are rare, but gun violence and news of gun violence is rampant.

Is there an inverse correlation? Food for thought.

Magoo
08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Ditto. And I always secure my tools. But make sure they are handy when needed.

Last I checked, all the gun violence in the US could not be traced to uses mentioned in this thread, but rather, quite different uses in quite different social situations.

I grew up in a part of the country where guns were endemic and part of everyday life, and gun violence was unheard of. This shaped my values and my views on the matter. Others have grown up in parts of the country where guns are rare, but gun violence and news of gun violence is rampant.

Is there an inverse correlation? Food for thought.

I AGREE WITH THESE STATEMENTS 100% BILL
when the common law abiding folk are armed,well the thugs tend to back down.
when the common folk are not armed,well the thugs really have nothing to worry about, so they just are not afraid to stick a pistol to your head.
either way im really not afraid for my life,thats not the reason i carry a gun or have guns.im a hunter,AND IM A RED BLOODED AMERICAN THAT LOVES HIS COUNTRY AND WILL FIGHT FOR IT AT WILL,AND HIS LIFE OR SOMEONE ELSES.THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON FIREARMS,AND WAR,AND I SEE NO REAL REASON TO CHANGE THAT.IT IS MY RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS,AND I WILL BEAR EM.PERIOD.:D

Rezarf
09-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Where can you find the laws concerning carrying and discharging a weapon in the backcountry?

I always have my 45 with me in the backcountry on overnight trips, however, I am unaware of the laws when it comes to holstering it on a belt when out in the backcountry.

THis has been fun to read.

Magoo
09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
you can go to sportsman's warehouse.and on the gun counter there is a law book for firearms in all states.its a must have for the gun lover.

Corbet
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Corbet- My job is in Littleton. I'm hoping to live near there.

I believe you will need to pass a full inspection. What it will consist of I have no idea. Someone on the front range will have to chime in.

PatrolMan
09-07-2007, 11:20 PM
So 2 points...

When a vehicle comes from out of state, it must be emissioned and have a VIN verification. If the vehicle is older than 25 years, the emissions can be done at any station. If it is newer, it must be done at an Envirtest station on their "dyno" setup. Envirotest also does the VIN verifications. I would have it done there rather than at the county office or State Patrol offices. Envirotest frankly doesn't care what your vehicle does or doesn't have on it so long as the emissions stuff is intact and it passes. Emissions is $25 and VIN verification is $8 I think. Can be done at same time. Make sure you have small enough tires for the dyno emissions.

In regards to the firearms, I have to agree with the statements made about Denver. There was a law passed about 5 years ago regarding Denver. I believe it indicates that it is illegal to transport a firearm into, out of, or through the City. Since you are in Littleton this shouldn't be a concern. Just don't take it into Denver without knowing the laws.

Hope all that helps a bit...

BogusBlake
09-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Make sure you have small enough tires for the dyno emissions.

Thanks! How small tires do I need for that dyno? I have 37's and have had the buggy on the emissions dyno here in Tucson like that.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks! How small tires do I need for that dyno? I have 37's and have had the buggy on the emissions dyno here in Tucson like that.

Under 35"!

PatrolMan
09-08-2007, 10:44 AM
I know that 35's won't work. Not sure about a 33. A 32 or 31 should work no problem. Some people might have "emissions" tires for you to borrow. I have a set of 235's that I use on my trucks. Keep them around basically just for that purpose.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I know that 35's won't work. Not sure about a 33. A 32 or 31 should work no problem. Some people might have "emissions" tires for you to borrow. I have a set of 235's that I use on my trucks. Keep them around basically just for that purpose.

35" up will be denied! I do have a set of e-tires mounted on my spare set of 80 rims. 265-75rx16's. They are at Henleys house....I hope.

Bruce Miller
09-08-2007, 04:57 PM
The book you should buy is "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States", by J. Scott Kappas. Go to www.gunlawguide.com. It's a paperback book and worth the small price. The book cost $12.95 each, $15.95 each including shipping.

If you're moving from Arizona, a big difference between Colorado and Arizona gun laws is the castle doctrine. Arizona has castle doctrine enacted, Colorado doesn't.

Good luck with the move.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
The book you should buy is "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States", by J. Scott Kappas. Go to www.gunlawguide.com. It's a paperback book and worth the small price. The book cost $12.95 each, $15.95 each including shipping.

If you're moving from Arizona, a big difference between Colorado and Arizona gun laws is the castle doctrine. Arizona has castle doctrine enacted, Colorado doesn't.

Good luck with the move.

Awesome advice! I just ordered two which got me free shipping and got RS a nice door prize next meeting... Thank you for the great tip Bruce!:thumb:

corsair23
09-09-2007, 03:14 AM
35" up will be denied! I do have a set of e-tires mounted on my spare set of 80 rims. 265-75rx16's. They are at Henleys house....I hope.

Hmmm...When I e-tested my 40 it had 35's on it :confused:. I had it done at envirotest (or whatever you call it) but maybe they didn't put it on the rollers due to the age...can't remember now.

I know 285s are ok as that is what was on the LX when I go it e-tested

PatrolMan
09-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Any vehicle that is 1981 or older gets a non-rolling test. The test is 30 seconds at idle, 30 seconds at a high RPM, and 30 seconds at idle. This doesn't require the wheels to move, so any size tire is acceptable. Envirotest can complete this test, but there are also individually owned emissions centers around that can conduct the same test. There aren't many of these places though. I do find that they are typically fast and more courteous than Envirotest though. Also, keep in mind that any vehicle that doesn't need a dyno test is eligible for collector plates (older than 25 years). That negates a need for an emissions test until the vehicle is sold.

Red_Chili
09-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Just to complicate matters, Envirotest is required contractually to test any tire combo that measures 34" or less (which most 35" tires do). They are supposed to measure if in doubt, per the state fella that administers the contract (this is first hand knowledge). Nonetheless, they refuse to do so, and if the tire says 35" they don't test it.

Some have ground off the tire size... Not sure if they have been successful. Sometimes they refuse 34" tires.

And my son was able to get his truck tested with 35" Goodyear MT/Rs recently, a fact he is sure to remind me of every chance he gets... :lmao:

Aaron Bailey
09-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Yo Farnham- I'll be nice because I like you. Seriously, the last time one of my guns killed anyone or committed any act of violence... was... NEVER. Guns are not the problem my friend. The last time I checked the violent crime rates in the UK were through the roof... as well as Australia (after an all out gun-ban). Take the suicides in the US out of the figures and the UK and Australia have a huge problem with home invasions, knifings, and other violent crime. If you really think it is so bad in Colorado as far as gun violence goes move to DC where guns are banned. For that matter go live in the UK, preferably in one of the poor areas with the disenfranchised "youths". The US does not have a "violence" problem, and any problem we may have is definitely not caused by an inanimate object.

If your choice as a law abiding person is to defend your family with a baseball bat, by all means... but don't deny me my choice of "tools" to defend mine. You are living in a dream world if you think that banning guns will make you and your family safer-

A

PatrolMan
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Kind of off topic... A friend and I were talking about firearms and what causes violence. Anyways, I mentioned that I thought there was at least 1 nation that required every household to own a firearm. I think it was more related to national defense. Of course, this may have been something of the past too rather than current. Anyone aware of this? Just not up to par on my nations and gun laws. Thanks!

Uncle Ben
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Kind of off topic... A friend and I were talking about firearms and what causes violence. Anyways, I mentioned that I thought there was at least 1 nation that required every household to own a firearm. I think it was more related to national defense. Of course, this may have been something of the past too rather than current. Anyone aware of this? Just not up to par on my nations and gun laws. Thanks!

Switzerland! All military aged males are required to have a rifle!

Red_Chili
09-12-2007, 08:48 AM
And we know the problem with violence and murder there! :lmao:
Sorry, couldn't resist.
The increase in crime rates, even gun crime, in Australia is highly correlated with the complete gun ban there. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense: easy pickin's. There is a similar correlation between high crime rates and stiff gun laws here - sure, causality and correlation are not the same, granted - the laws came about due to the crime rates. But the stiff gun laws do not deter those who already own guns illegally; hence, the correlation continues. It only deters the legal gun owners, among whom violence rates are exceptionally low.