subzali
08-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Here's a hint: I am here all week.

nakman
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Hmmmm.. Utah?

bh4rnnr
08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Book cliffs in the background, so either Grand Junction, Thompson Springs, Cresent Junction(though I doubt your there) or Green River.

Romer
08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Tim that looks just like the place we passed on the way to flat nasty. I remember commenting about it. Somewhere along I-70 in Kansas or Mo.

Hulk
08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Dotsero?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
south sante fe drive. englewood :thumb:

ha ha! you told me where you were going but i forgot.

Jacket
08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Farmington NM

subzali
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
ding ding ding! We have a winner! Way to go Jacket!

Jacket
08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
It's not really fair since I was there wheelin a few weeks ago. Are you spending any time in Chokecherry Canyon?

Rezarf
08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Is that a real picture? Oh my goodness, now THAT IS FUNNY!

corsair23
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Is that a real picture? Oh my goodness, now THAT IS FUNNY!

x2...My guess was going to be that you are at a crossroad, about 1/2 between heaven and hell :hill:

subzali
08-30-2007, 11:57 PM
That IS a real picture, it's right across the street from me, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a picture of it. I'm actually down here working at the Giant refinery in Bloomfield this week.

subzali
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Okay, here's for round 2:

Where am I now? Those that already know can't give it away.

Hints: I've never been here before and I didn't fly here.

DaveInDenver
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Flagstaff?

Shark Bait
01-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Santa Fe, NM. :D

Old40Dog
01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
My gawd Matt! You really scared me when I read the beginning of the thread until I saw the dates. You said you were not happy about the new assignment, but that would have been downright frightful! I wouldn't wish Farmington on anyone...been there many times on business in a past life. :beer:

thefatkid
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Highway 64 between Blanco and Navajo City?

Or the Cortez/ Mancos area

Blackdiamond72
01-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Los Alamos or Taos NM

subzali
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Los Alamos or Taos NM

Ding ding ding! Good guess! My company has seen a downturn of new work lately, though we have a strong backlog of continuing work. My group has been on overhead basically for 4-6 or so months. Including my manager, there are 15 of us. He's been giving us a heads up that if we don't get good solid work coming in by the middle of January then some things will probably have to change for the good of the company. A couple weeks ago he had a quick sitdown with us and told us that the only work they've been able to get is an 8 month job in Los Alamos. He didn't say that if we didn't take the job we'd get laid off, but you could hear it in his voice. We had to give us his decision the next day, Friday, so he could send the resumes to our client and get us approved. 6 of us said we would go. A 7th might be coming with us. The following Monday we learned that we were accepted and should make plans to pack ASAP. I traveled down here the following Monday and started training today. So within 2 weeks I learned of the job, was worried that I was going to get laid off (what if they didn't accept my resume?), and ended up packing my bags temporarily and moving down here. Jacki is taking a class and has to finish up her school year and then we'll see where we're at. I heard today that 25 people were let go from my company today, 2 of them were from my group. So that leaves only 6 back at the home office. Interesting times.

Old40Dog
01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Ding ding ding! ... Interesting times.

Good luck Matt :thumb: and keep in touch! The good guys always end up bettering themselves when all this :mad: s**t we're going through right now finally passes. You guys will land with both feet (actually four total) on the ground...running in the right direction. Just be patient and see it through man!:D

Will you have the 40 down there at some point? If so, maybe we need to do a group weekend run down there sometime this summer :) Any ideas?

subzali
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
no plans to bring the 40 down here. Will only have limited time on weekends to run and home and see Jacki, or have her come down so we can spend some time together, and I'd much rather spend time with her than drive my 40 around, if you know what I mean. We are going to try and sneak in some hiking and camping this summer - there's plenty of it around here and all over the place if we want to meet halfway (like around Salida, Alamosa, etc.)

RedCreeper
01-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Good luck Matt. See you on the trails soon. I was allways told things happen for a reason. Take care.

Old40Dog
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM
no plans to bring the 40 down here. ... and I'd much rather spend time with her than drive my 40 around, if you know what I mean. We are going to try and sneak in some hiking and camping this summer - there's plenty of it around here and all over the place if we want to meet halfway (like around Salida, Alamosa, etc.)

I certainly understand that one...............Enjoy it while and when you can. Some day you'll be just another "Old40Dog" (OMG) like me, honey, I can't do that..anymore...trust me..I'll be long dead, but remember that "one thing" as it's damned important :lmao::lmao::lmao: You're on the right track Matt! :thumb:

Damned, It's good you have a keen sense of humor! :cool: (I hope!):lmao:

60wag
01-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Well, it good that you're still employed at the moment. Are you going to be living in Los Alamos? There are some great areas to explore around there. Get on the High Desert Cruisers web site and meet up with those guys.

Getting Jackie down to Albuquerque shouldn't be too tough with the cheap plane tickets from Southwest and Frontier. Good Luck.

subzali
01-20-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm looking into apartments in Los Alamos, yep. There are definitely a lot of things I'm going to have to start checking out around here - Valle Caldera, Chaco Canyon, Sangre de Cristo mountains, Taos, etc.

It'll be good :thumb:

RicardoJM
01-20-2010, 07:05 AM
PM me if you'd like to talk to someone who has been doing the commute to Los Alamos for a few years now.

I lived in the Jemez for a few years. It is great country down there. There is great hiking in the Bandalier National Monument (http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm). Make sure you stop by Blakes Lottaburger when you get a chance.

MDH33
01-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Sounds like an adventure Matt. So do you like it enough down there to consider staying permanently? Kim and I really like Taos and the country around there. We even kicked around the idea of moving out there at one time.

subzali
01-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Well I've only been here for a day, but so far it seems nice. I don't have a good feel for the work here, don't know if it's stable and exactly in line with what I want to be doing. So far I like the looks of the geography, but more exploring this summer will tell me more about that. We're not sure on Jacki's job just yet, and my stint is only supposed to be for 8 months. If Merrick doesn't have work for me in Aurora and Jacki ends up not having a job this next school year then there may be a possibility we would consider a permanent relocation for now. We'll just have to see. It hasn't been ruled out.

DaveInDenver
01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Should get a RS road trip going, we're looking at getting to Chaco Canyon in the very near future (like this year hopefully). Also want to try and visit Bruce and Barb down there some day.

Red_Chili
01-20-2010, 08:03 AM
If you get a chance visit the Santo Domingo Pueblo. Interesting blend of earnest Catholic faith and Native American culture, low alcoholism, solid families. South of Santa Fe. Interesting spiritual experience meeting the people there.

Oh, and if you have some spare change, take Jacki to the Corn Dance Cafe in the Hotel Santa Fe. Really good Southwest Native American food.

Squishy!
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Yup! I remember that sign from living down there for school! Funny! :lmao:

P.S- I wouldn't wish living there on any worst enemy of mine, so I'm glad you aren't ending up there. :thumb:

Blackdiamond72
01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Beautiful area, and the landscape has such a neat layout. Even the forest fire areas around you have a unique charm to them. Bandelier National Monument is a neat place to take first time visiters and Tent Rocks is a very fun place for day hikes and climbing. Santa Fe has a good night life plus many many galleries to wander through if you're into that. Get to like turquoise, its on everything!

That bridge over the Rio Grande just north of Taos is worth seeing atleast once as well.

subzali
01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
:cool:, thanks for the tips guys! :thumb:

subzali
03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
so i brought my skis down to check out the local ski area: http://skipajarito.com/

got some time in on the sticks tonight after work :)

within 20-25 minutes of being let off of work I was on my boards (including drive time and changing clothes) (I know that's pretty long for some of you but that's pretty good for any front-ranger) :)

25 minutes to skin up, 5 minutes to de-skin and get ready for the descent, and 4 minutes for the always-too-short trip to the bottom. :)/:( 6 minutes to pack up the truck and within 20 minutes I was home. It was my first trip out in two seasons so I didn't want to go for too long, since I'll probably be doing this almost every day for the next two months. :) I saw one person too, and had a couple inches of fresh on top of packed snow all to myself :) I had to learn how to ski again though, I only went once last year and my first couple of turns were a little shaky. At any rate it was nice to get out and exercise, and make the best of the time I'm spending here. And it was nice to go from work, ski, and be home all within 1 1/2 hours. Pictures would have been great tonight with the weather, but I didn't have my camera. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

subzali
03-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Here are some pictures from the area. This first set are from the Valles Caldera, which at some point in the past blew 50 cubic MILES of rock and volcanic ash into the atmosphere, some of it landing as far away as Texas. :eek:

Notice new BFG A/Ts :D

Anyway, this caldera you can drive into is about 12-15 miles in diameter, and is very breathtaking. Untouched blanket of snow covers the ground :)

subzali
03-02-2010, 07:18 PM
This next set is some skiing pictures after work today.

subzali
03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
and some more

subzali
03-02-2010, 07:21 PM
that little speck just barely on the other side of the road is my truck. Not bad for not having a chairlift...and not bad to have the whole place to myself (almost)...

SRT08BUS
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
nice pic's..looks fun!

Hulk
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, that looks sweet for sure. You're skiing tele?

DaveInDenver
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that looks sweet for sure. You're skiing tele?
Those might be K2 Sodos, but my guess is Shuksans. In which case he's a randonee skier. Randonee is roughly how the French pronounce 'can't tele.'

Old40Dog
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
that little speck just barely on the other side of the road is my truck. Not bad for not having a chairlift...and not bad to have the whole place to myself (almost)...

Cool for you....no people anywhere to be seen!:) Hope all is going well Matt!

subzali
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Dave, I find your lack of faith disturbing :scold:

I am on 2007 K2 Work Stinx, sporting the Black Diamond (EDIT:O1) bindings. Scarpa T1 boots, I love the setup! Freeheeling only makes this experience that much better! :)

Thanks guys, yes there are times when it's fun to be down here, but not a day goes by that I don't wish that I was home with my :Princess:

DaveInDenver
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Dave, I find your lack of faith disturbing :scold:

I am on 2007 K2 Work Stinx, sporting the Black Diamond O3 bindings. Scarpa T1 boots, I love the setup! Freeheeling only makes this experience that much better! :)
Nice sticks. Really I'm just jealous... Still rocking my very old (1999) 2-buckle T2 boots. But I am lucky to have two pairs of skis, 2003 Tua Nitrogens with G3 Targa bindings and my new 2009 Icelantics Pilgrims with Voile Hardwires. I'm too dense to know better so I never learned to ski in bondage gear, always telemarked. Truth is if someone would have turned me on to AT gear back in 1999 I probably would not have never known the joy.

http://armbrusterweb.com/public/webshots/DSC03168.JPG

http://www.telemarktips.com/Resources/StickerC_4_07.jpg

http://www.telemarktips.com/Resources/StickerB_4_07.jpg

Thanks guys, yes there are times when it's fun to be down here, but not a day goes by that I don't wish that I was home with my :Princess:

I hear ya, hang in there bud.

subzali
03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Wanted to add the "Omega Bridge" that I get a clear view of on my way home from skiing...just a neat structure.

PabloCruise
03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Matt,

I hope LANL is treating you well.

I was down there in 2000 and then again in 2002.

I sure do miss it at times.

We would swim in the morning (highest elevation olympic pool in the US) and then go out for coffee and breakfast burritos. I can still remember cold morning air, scorching black coffee, hot green chile and pure sun-shine...

Enjoy it man, you will be ruined for city living after this!

subzali
03-31-2010, 08:10 PM
well as the weather starts to warm up around here there's been some good trail exploring to do! There are TONS of trails around here, tomorrow going to take the bike for a spin and see how many miles I can cover before it's starts melting up higher and I bring the motorbike down! Anyway, some pics from the Tsankawi Ruin trail of Bandelier National Monument (this is about 10 minutes from work, maybe less).

subzali
03-31-2010, 08:15 PM
One more; there are remains of the Pueblo on top of the mesa, nothing more than a slightly visible rim of rocks now scattered among the brush. But on the side of the mesa there are these cavates which are hewn into the soft rock called "tuff" (solidified ash from the ancient volcanic activity in the area). They were used for living quarters, food storage, etc. There are some pottery shards scattered about, as well as some petroglyph and pictograph panels in the area. Not bad for an afternoon hike after work.

SRT08BUS
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice pic's, looks like a great place to explore.

Gmann
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
One more; there are remains of the Pueblo on top of the mesa, nothing more than a slightly visible rim of rocks now scattered among the brush. But on the side of the mesa there are these cavates which are hewn into the soft rock called "tuff" (solidified ash from the ancient volcanic activity in the area). They were used for living quarters, food storage, etc. There are some pottery shards scattered about, as well as some petroglyph and pictograph panels in the area. Not bad for an afternoon hike after work.

Subzali,
How long of a drive from Santa Fe? My inlaws have a home in Las Campanas and I should take the wife and check that area out sometime? Looks fun.

subzali
04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
It's probably just over a 1/2 hour from the north end of Santa Fe, say where Cerillos and 285 cross. You go up 285 to 502, head west towards Los Alamos. Take the turn off on Hwy 4 toward White Rock, and at the first stoplight (Hwy 501, E. Jemez Road) you will see a pulloff on the left hand side. It's $12/day or $30/year for a Bandelier National Monument permit, which you need in order to park at the pulloff. The main part of the Monument is a few miles past White Rock, but they sell permits at this location, about 50 yards in from the road.

This trail is about 1 1/2 miles and took us about 1 1/2 hours, and we took it pretty easy. There are about 3 or 4 ladders you have to climb (depending on which way you go) BTW.

subzali
04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Been doing some mountain biking...and to make Dave feel better about his skis here's my mountain bike :hill:

-2000 Gary Fisher Kaitai
-Shimano LX v-brakes
-Shimano SLX bottom bracket
-Shimano LX rear derailleur
-Shimano Deore front derailleur
-Panaracer Smoke Classic rear tire (26x2.1)
-Continental Vertical front tire (26x2.3)

Nothing fancy but it gets me down the trail. Tonight I did the Perimeter Trail and the Mitchell Trail. The Perimeter Trail is I guess akin to the Rubicon of 4 wheel drive trails. It just keeps coming at you. It's not a steep grinding trail like the trails around Golden, but it is just rocks and rocks and rocks and roots and more rocks to ride up, over, and around. The Mitchell Trail is just steep, steep, steep with loose rocks. I'm finding that the trails around here aren't exactly designed for mountain biking; for example the switchbacks are way too sharp and steep to ride; in some cases I'm not even sure one could do a track stand jump-turn one most of these turns.

But then I started getting a flat :( And I didn't remember to put my pump in my pack, so I had to walk most of the way back home :(

subzali
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
last couple.

bh4rnnr
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Been doing some mountain biking...and to make Dave feel better about his skis here's my mountain bike :hill:

-2000 Gary Fisher Kaitai
-Shimano LX v-brakes
-Shimano SLX bottom bracket
-Shimano LX rear derailleur
-Shimano Deore front derailleur
-Panaracer Smoke Classic rear tire (26x2.1)
-Continental Vertical front tire (26x2.3)

Nothing fancy but it gets me down the trail. Tonight I did the Perimeter Trail and the Mitchell Trail. The Perimeter Trail is I guess akin to the Rubicon of 4 wheel drive trails. It just keeps coming at you. It's not a steep grinding trail like the trails around Golden, but it is just rocks and rocks and rocks and roots and more rocks to ride up, over, and around. The Mitchell Trail is just steep, steep, steep with loose rocks. I'm finding that the trails around here aren't exactly designed for mountain biking; for example the switchbacks are way too sharp and steep to ride; in some cases I'm not even sure one could do a track stand jump-turn one most of these turns.

But then I started getting a flat :( And I didn't remember to put my pump in my pack, so I had to walk most of the way back home :(

Sorry, but i'm a Race Face and Sram kinda guy:p:, guess that's what I get for riding a Kona:eek::hill:. Glad to see you making the best of it down there Matt:cool:. Need to PM you about my summer project and see if you can join me on some outings:blah:.

subzali
04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
definitely Perry, let me know :thumb:

PabloCruise
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
You are in The Burn!!!

I went down there the summer of 2000, my start got delayed due to the fire.

I can hear you getting sucked in Matt, you will be ruined for city life after this!

subzali
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
nope, I'm counting the days until I can get out of here. Anyway, my college days in Golden ruined me for city life already...:)

subzali
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Today I had the most fun I've had since I got here...the pics should tell the story. It started off with a package of fun rolling down the road on Sunday...

subzali
05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
We just did some forest roads to the north/east of Los Alamos, but the Jemez mountains opened last week, so in short order I'm going to be getting up there...

All in all today we rode about 35 miles, about 1:45 of riding, and averaging just over 20mph. All for about $2 worth of gas :cool: I love this dirtbike. It's probably the most fun thing I have ever bought.

Saw some more cool rock formations today too...

farnhamstj
05-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Bbbrrrrpppp!!!!!!

rover67
05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Looks like a blast man. The truck and bike look nice all ready to go.. you even got the KTM straps.

I miss my old CR.

maybe someday i'll get another. Hey, you might be counting the days done there, but at least you are able to have a little fun :)

Beachboy
05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
We will be iin Chaco Sept. 29 thru 10/03 hiking the ruins and driving to the more remote ruins if anyone wants to join us. If you never been to Chaco and enjoy history this is the place.

subzali
05-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Bbbrrrrpppp!!!!!!

Exactly ;)

.. you even got the KTM straps.

Yeah, KTM was putting on a promotion when my dad and I bought our bikes that added about $1200 worth of extra gear to the package for free. The 5 gal fuel can, KTM straps, FMF silencer, a spare set of tires, bark busters, skid plate, fork breathers, new radiator shrouds, special decals, and some miscellaneous fluids. Not a bad deal...

We will be iin Chaco Sept. 29 thru 10/03 hiking the ruins and driving to the more remote ruins if anyone wants to join us. If you never been to Chaco and enjoy history this is the place.

I probably won't be down here then (I'm supposed to be done at the end of September but I may be done in June), but I am going to try to head to Chaco if I get a chance sometime this summer...

Anyway, here are some more pictures from today's exploration ride: I headed up road 442 into the burn area...

...I found something they have here is more single track for dirtbikes, so I found some of that which took me for a little ways and was super fun...but it ended in a steep rocky downhill (pictured) that I might have been able to ride down a ways but probably couldn't ride back up, so I turned around and continued into Guaje Canyon...

subzali
05-11-2010, 09:49 PM
At the bottom of Guaje Canyon the trail narrowed down really tight and came to a notch canyon that was pretty cool, so I had to take some pictures. The trail ended up following the creek bed for about 100 yards too, which made for interesting riding...

...after that I went back on some of the roads we did yesterday and explored around some more. This kind of stuff really helps take care of the explorer in me that wants to get out there. Oh and BTW yesterday's ride cost me $2.30 in gasoline :D

I will probably go tomorrow too and explore some more.

wesintl
05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
the poor kai tai won't see much time now.. sweet bike matt!

subzali
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
the poor kai tai won't see much time now.. sweet bike matt!

Yeah it's sitting in the kitchen with a flat tire...:rolleyes:

subzali
06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Thought I'd add some more pictures...been doing a lot of dirtbiking - put about 25 hours and a little over 600 miles on my bike since I've been down here...

...this first set is when I did an 88 mile ride after work. I took Hwy 4 west to 126, then took Forest Road 144 along the west side of the Caldera Preserve, and then headed north on 453 and 316 to Coyote. The first two are pictures of the terrain dropping into Coyote and the 3rd is just a rock formation along road 144.

subzali
06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
This next set is from a 102 mile ride (I hit the reserve tank at 97 miles - now I know :)). I took 144 again, but this time I skirted the west side of the Caldera and then continued on 144 along the north side. The first picture is just a picture of a high point on the north side of the Caldera. The second one is looking north down a valley off of FR 99, which contains a National Recreation Trail. So I guess it's pretty down there, will have to check that out sometime.

subzali
06-10-2010, 06:33 AM
A couple days ago I gave the bike a break and took the Tundra up FR 376 to San Antonio Hot Springs. I think it's supposed to be the best hot springs in the area...the guy in the foreground has taken it upon himself to do the upkeep of the springs...interesting guy. This springs is only an hour from Los Alamos, including a 1/2 hour on a pretty rough forest road.

subzali
06-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Yesterday I took the rental car to check out another hot springs, Spence Hot Springs. It's ok, but not as good. Luckily there were no naked hippies (I'm not into that stuff), but even then the springs was a little grungy...this is just north of Jemez Springs off of Hwy 4.

subzali
06-10-2010, 06:37 AM
I then continued down Hwy 4 past Jemez Springs and went up 428 to the Gilman Tunnels - apparently old railroad tunnels. Pretty cool.

subzali
06-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Then I headed back up Hwy 4 to Jemez Falls Trailhead. I hiked two miles (started at 7:15 pm) to another warm springs (not hot), it was okay but I didn't even take a picture, got back to the trailhead just after 8:15 (I was hot footing it, there was a pretty significant elevation gain for this little hike too), and headed the 1/4 mile down to Jemez Falls. I'm glad I did, will definitely be back. Got back to the car about 8:45. Whew, what an afternoon. Anyway, that's just some more of the sights around here...thought they might be of interest to some...

Hulk
06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Pretty falls. Only 1/4 mile hike to view the falls? Any camping down there?

subzali
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
there is a campground basically where the trailhead is at. It was full on the Thursday before Memorial Day, so I would expect it to be full most weekends during the summer.

RicardoJM
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Matt, I used to ride my bike up to the tunnels. Our house was right next door to the church that is about another 1/2 mile down on NM4. I'm sure it has change a little since the late 70s but I bet a bunch of it is exactly the same.

subzali
06-10-2010, 12:39 PM
yeah, from the looks of it I doubt a whole lot has changed...;) :D

Neat area though, and I am enjoying getting out and doing some exploring! I'm going to try to go to Pines tonight in the Tundra, hopefully the 4-wheel drive road isn't too rough! Wish I had my FJ40 for stuff like that, but...

subzali
06-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Wanted to go to the ghost town of Pines last night...apparently it's on private property :rant: even though from all appearances from the signage a person would expect to be able to get to it and check it out. :rant:

Anyway, did get some pictures of the Tundra earning its keep:

subzali
06-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Guess where me and my lovely bride went to on Sunday?

subzali
06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
...and then on Tuesday Jacki shot her first gun! An Enfield M1917 (.30-06) and my little Ruger 10/22. She wasn't much interested in the .22 after feeling the recoil of the .30-06 :p: Like my friend Nick says, girls are recoil junkies :p:

subzali
06-18-2010, 05:08 PM
and a couple more...

RedCreeper
06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Look out Matt.... she can use that thing.....

corsair23
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Guess where me and my lovely bride went to on Sunday?

Correction: "Guess where my lovely bride and I went..."

Always put the lovely bride first!! :D

Great pics. Glad to see you two are able to enjoy some time down there together :thumb:

60wag
06-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Are the pictures from Bandalier Nat Monumnet?

subzali
06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Ding ding ding! :thumb:

subzali
06-19-2010, 03:08 PM
South Fork Fire (~11,000 acres) yesterday...on the north side of the Valles Caldera...

PabloCruise
06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
South Fork Fire (~11,000 acres) yesterday...on the north side of the Valles Caldera...

Oh man, not again...

subzali
07-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Well the fire has reached about 17,000 acres, but is pretty much contained and is really only smoldering - the recent rains have helped.

This weekend we got to meet a new friend in Bandelier Nat'l Monument - and I got the rattle greeting :eek:

Also went up to Chama yesterday and caught the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad engine # 489 on top of Cumbres Pass :thumb:

Hulk
07-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Wow, that's a fat snake.

Cool that you did the C&TS -- I've always wanted to do that one!

subzali
07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
No, actually haven't done it yet - just happened to see the engine at the top of Cumbres Pass when I was driving by. It looks like it would be an awesome train ride though - highly recommend looking into it :thumb:

RicardoJM
07-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow, that's a fat snake.

Cool that you did the C&TS -- I've always wanted to do that one!

No, actually haven't done it yet - just happened to see the engine at the top of Cumbres Pass when I was driving by. It looks like it would be an awesome train ride though - highly recommend looking into it :thumb:

The line suffered a setback when fire damaged the Lobato Trestle, rendering it temporarily impassable to trains. Regularly scheduled service out of Chama continues, however, with motor coach transportation from the Chama Depot to the Cumbres Station, high point of the 64-mile route.

Jacket
07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
So are you permanently relocated to NM, or do you just stay down there most of the time?

subzali
07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
I haven't permanently relocated yet, my original contract was from January through September. I'm looking at the work situation right now to determine if there will be enough work to bring me back to Denver or it I need to follow the work down here...

...don't know yet.

subzali
09-01-2010, 06:09 PM
So after 8 months of being away from my beautiful wife, and to top it off almost being bit by a rattlesnake a couple weeks ago while I was hiking, we were told today that they are out of money for this project and they are letting the Denver guys go back to Denver. There is work for us back in Denver, at least for now, so I'll be home for good on Friday. Life is good, and it will be good to see y'all again soon :thumb:

MDH33
09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
So after 8 months of being away from my beautiful wife, and to top it off almost being bit by a rattlesnake a couple weeks ago while I was hiking, we were told today that they are out of money for this project and they are letting the Denver guys go back to Denver. There is work for us back in Denver, at least for now, so I'll be home for good on Friday. Life is good, and it will be good to see y'all again soon :thumb:

Great news! Welcome back. Hope to see you and your 40 on the trails again soon. :thumb:

rover67
09-01-2010, 08:50 PM
suh-weet!!!!!!

corsair23
09-02-2010, 01:29 AM
:woot:

Great to hear Matt :thumb:

FJBRADY
09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Right on!

almost being bit by a rattlesnake a couple weeks ago while I was hiking

:bolt:

RicardoJM
09-02-2010, 08:07 AM
It was good to talk to you yesterday evening, hope the MNG in Los Alamos went well. Great news to hear you are coming back to town. We'll have to get Brahma out and about on the trails this fall - plenty of opportunities are getting posted up on the forum.

DaveInDenver
09-02-2010, 08:16 AM
That's great news. Bet Jackie is estatic!

PabloCruise
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Well done Matt!

Jacket
09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Good thing. I was ready to have this thread changed to "Who's Subzali?"

subzali
09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Good thing. I was ready to have this thread changed to "Who's Subzali?"

Yep me too :lmao:

subzali
05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
I won't make anybody guess this time, I posted up a few days ago anyway and gave it away. Some entertainment though.

Stoplight like in the movie Cars lol

subzali
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
This is pretty outrageous. No front drive shaft lol

subzali
05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
The reason I'm here and some entertainment on the drive over here:

subzali
05-04-2012, 05:20 AM
I almost forgot. There's one of these bad boys in town too...

PabloCruise
05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I almost forgot. There's one of these bad boys in town too...

Wow!
Where are you?

Uncle Ben
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Wow!
Where are you?

He's in a really "Meek" place!

subzali
05-05-2012, 07:48 AM
He's in a really "Meek" place!

meeker than moab, anyway...

DanS
05-06-2012, 02:38 PM
This is pretty outrageous. No front drive shaft lol

Man, nothing says "suitable for mating" like a way jacked up show truck with a Z-bar relay rod!

Fathers: hide your daughters.

:LOL:

Dan

subzali
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Okay, here's a new one. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! :eek:

No "guessing" Nick...:scold:

Uncle Ben
01-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Okay, here's a new one. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! :eek:

No "guessing" Nick...:scold:

The clock tower in Hill Valley?

DaveInDenver
01-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Victoria St. Clock Tower
Christchurch, New Zealand

http://www.historic.org.nz/TheRegister/RegisterSearch/RegisterResults.aspx?RID=3670

CardinalFJ60
01-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Do I spy a Nissan Patrol?

Uncle Ben
01-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Traffic looks kinda heavy there, might be tough to reach 88 mph!

Jenny Cruiser
01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Looks like a Skyline beside the Patrol. :)

Uncle Ben
01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/4034/PreviewComp/SuperStock_4034-71008.jpg

subzali
01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Sorry everyone, yes Dave was correct (I thought for some reason he might be the first to guess it). I've had spotty internets to say the least for the last couple weeks. Now that first picture might have given it away, but wherever might this be? :confused:

loudbay
01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
A skyline and a nice patrol just happened to be in that pic, or vice versa? My pics are usually, oh cool, I got a clock tower in the pic of that skyline and patrol...

subzali
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
I think that was a Nissan safari. Hard to tell from the pictures on my phone. I've only seen a couple patrols here. There's a crapton of hiluxes, surfs and prados though. And some full sized land cruisers too

AHorseThief
01-30-2013, 05:12 PM
I still can't guess, can I?

corsair23
01-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Now that first picture might have given it away, but wherever might this be? :confused:

Up by Mt. Hutt?

Just a shot in the dark guess :hill:

subzali
01-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I still can't guess, can I?

No ;)

subzali
01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Up by Mt. Hutt?

Just a shot in the dark guess :hill:

Nope, not a bad guess though, it appears to look similar in winter time ;)

DanS
01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Sorry everyone, yes Dave was correct (I thought for some reason he might be the first to guess it). I've had spotty internets to say the least for the last couple weeks. Now that first picture might have given it away, but wherever might this be? :confused:

Antarctica?

subzali
01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Antarctica?

Who tipped you off? ;)

Yep, work sent me to McMurdo Station for a week. It's been a great experience. I'll upload more pictures once I get home.

DanS
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Who tipped you off? ;)

I know an antarctic station when I see one. All you are missing is the "antarctic shelter" sitting in the background.

Dan

smslavin
01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Yep, work sent me to McMurdo Station for a week. It's been a great experience. I'll upload more pictures once I get home.

oh man. how cool is that? damn i'm jealous but i don't think there's much industrial automation down that way...

subzali
02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Hey Dan, I guess I didn't get initiated to the "antarctic shelter." You'll have to share that one with me.

And not that anyone cares any more, but here are some random pictures from the trip...

nakman
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
that's awesome, Matt.

also, did anyone guess Rifle Falls on that last page? put me down for a point! :)

subzali
02-14-2013, 09:56 PM
You got it Nak!

Jenny Cruiser
02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Nice. Antartica down. How many continents do you have left to check off? :cool:

wesintl
02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Cool, what a great experience going to Antarctica.

subzali
02-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Nice. Antartica down. How many continents do you have left to check off? :cool:

Well, I think I also technically have the Australian continent down too since I had to travel through New Zealand :cool:

So that makes 3.

We were supposed to go to Africa in 2008, so that would have been 4, and we were again supposed to go to South America in 2011 so that would have been 5. But alas :( And I thought about going to Europe back in college so does that make 6? :hill:

Uncle Ben
02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Well, I think I also technically have the Australian continent down too since I had to travel through New Zealand :cool:

So that makes 3.

We were supposed to go to Africa in 2008, so that would have been 4, and we were again supposed to go to South America in 2011 so that would have been 5. But alas :( And I thought about going to Europe back in college so does that make 6? :hill:

That's fun! Should be another thread! I (we) have been to 6 continents so far! I'd love to see a count from others as well. Counting changing planes at an airport doesn't count!

subzali
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Okay, well by flying through Christchurch to and from I should have clarified: I rented a car and drove up to Mount Cook for about a day. Saw a VDJ76 and ate at the Miller Bar before returning to the States.

Now I gotta get all 7 continents! The hardest one is out of the way! ;)

subzali
02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
A couple more: Also saw a few VDJ79 trayback utes in ChCh...

Jacket
02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe I missed it, but is this a work trip or are you traveling on vacation? Either way, it's sweet!

Uncle Ben
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Okay, well by flying through Christchurch to and from I should have clarified: I rented a car and drove up to Mount Cook for about a day. Saw a VDJ76 and ate at the Miller Bar before returning to the States.

Now I gotta get all 7 continents! The hardest one is out of the way! ;)

Damn that's beautiful! Not sure if I'll get that one checked off! :(

subzali
02-15-2013, 12:42 PM
This was a work trip, though I took a couple PTO days on the way back home. There was a fuel pipeline at McMurdo Station that we were evaluating...

I had a panoramic camera that was used to document the condition of the pipeline, and obviously we used regular cameras for more specific shots. Got some pretty sweet panos though. We have software where you can place pictures in a map and click on the camera image to go to that location - think Google Streetview. So you can virtually walk the entire pipeline without actually being there.

corsair23
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Way :cool:

DanS
02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Matt: couldn't you have rented a cruiser? I see that Avis, Hertz, etc... even rent HZJ-79s and stuff as a normal matter of business in Australia... I want to go down there just for that!

So, who wants to race for all 7 continents within the group?

North America
Europe
Asia
South America
Antarctica

I'm missing Africa (I can't count Dubai, IMHO, never even left the airport, but I was there for quire a while) and Australia...

Not a one of those trips was work related, either.

Dan