PDA

View Full Version : S'nakman Cooker Install and Fridge Questions

Crash
09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Just finished up the 10 minute install of the S'nakman Cooker in the 80 and can't wait to cook something up! Found the basket at Lowe's for $10 and used some nuts, bolts and washers from the parts bin bolted right into existing threaded holes. It couldn't have been much easier and seems solid and secure. Ordered a Manifold Destiny book on Amazon.com - somehow found a relatively cheap copy and was amazed at some of the prices people are asking for the dang thing. Now to decide on which cooler/fridge to buy. The latest Overland Journal has a fridge comparo and the Waeco sounds like a relative bargain. Anyone have one? The ARB/Engel are the defacto choice, although smaller interior space and heavier. Road trips won't be the same now and that's a good thing.
:beer: :beer: to Nakman!! :thumb:

Rezarf
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I scored a used ARB and LOVE it, those Waeco ones are ALL over "down-under," so they must be good.

If you search ebay and craigslist like it is your job, you can find a used freezer fridge. It might take a while, but there are still deals to be found out there. Check marine sites too as they are really popular with the boaters.

Just my .02

nakman
09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey nice work on the sNaksterŪ install, #1 on the "best bang for buck" 80 mod list for sure! As promised, here are few recipes...

-finger food: mini corn dogs, egg rolls, tater tots, burritos, jalapeņo poppers, mozzarella sticks, any other "heat & eat" food. Just wrap them up in about 3 layers of tin foil and place them into the cooker at the start of the day. Give them at least a couple hours, don't worry about over-cooking.

-sauces: for your marinara sauce, use a small baby food jar. Don't worry about removing the label, just place the jar in there and tighten down the lid. Oh, and you can heat baby food the same way, just open the lid & close it to "pop" the lid first. If you're worried about dust, then wrap the jar in 1 layer of foil, no more though or it won't get hot enough. Make sure that lid is on good and tight, monitor periodically (if you smell something then good time to check)

-Meat: pat a roast with rock salt and fresh ground pepper. Then wrap in a single layer of parchment paper, then wrap that in two separate sheets of foil, totaling 4 layers. Make sure your seams are at opposite ends, so the drips from sheet #1 can't escape sheet #2. Put this in your engine at the start of the day, not a couple hours before lunch or it'll be way too undercooked. two examples:

One time on a Jenny Creek night run I did a roast and it cooked for 4 hours, from 5:00pm to 9:00 pm, and internal temp only reached 130°, I'm sure a few guys here remember that night... So we just sliced it and grilled it and it was delish, but more done would have been more better.

At CM06 I loaded a roast at camp, then proceeded to run a very very slow first half of Fins & Things.. like 5 hours until lunch. That was better, closer to 145° internal temp, yet still plenty pink in the middle. I lost a little juice onto the manifold shield coming down the diving board, but not enough to make it down to the manifold itself (which is bad, can cause cracking). Also outdoor temp in Moab was about 40° warmer than the outdoor temp at Jenny Creek, that has to be a factor as well.

Veggies: Rub a sheet of foil with a stick of butter (or a hunk of it in your hand) to prevent sticking. Then place your carrots, asparagus, zucchini, etc. in foil, with salt & pepper & a small additional amount of butter. This is one that doesn't have to go all day, but at least an hour is best. But raw veggies aren't going to hurt anyone, and soggy zucchinis get kind of nasty, so you'll want to time this one a little closer. One option is to create three smaller portions, then you can reveal them one a time without disturbing the others, until you call it all done.

Fish: This one is probably the best of all. Get a big salmon or something, then combine the steps above for meat & veggies. Rub the butter on the foil, add the veggies, wrap in parchment paper, then double-wrap the fish. I'd give it 2 good hours of solid driving, again cut off one of the thick sections to make a small "tester" package you can test before diving in to the real deal.

Leftover Italian food: Arguably one of the "best kept secrets" of engine cooking. Just stick that little foil cake pan in there, with the paper/foil lid still in tact. You can wrap a single sheet of foil around the whole thing to keep dust out, also catch any drips that may occur from boiling sauce. I put some cold lasagna in there once at home, headed towards Moab, then pulled it out and ate it in West Glenwood. OMG was that good, the cheese was melted, sauce was bubbling, oh man that was amazing stuff that day.

Food-borne bacteria grows between 40° and 140°F, so to prevent that the idea is to get your food from below 40° to above 140° as quick as possible. Heating to 160°F will kill anything that started to grow below 140°. Your engine should keep food right around 150°, which coincidentally is the same temperature restaurants and convenience stores shoot for on their steam tables and heated displays.

The difference here is the engine is clearly a slower ramp-up to serving temp, so it's not an approved method as far as the health department is concerned. But I've been doing this for a few years now and I haven't gotten sick yet, neither have my wife or son. I do toss whatever we don't finish at lunch though, have only reheated stuff a couple of times once it's cooled on the tailgate, and that was a corn dog and I was so hungry and so late that I just had no choice.. and no ill effects!

Also the grill is hottest towards the back of the manifold, so do your meat back there, put the burritos up front, etc. By far the easiest thing to do is individual burritos, just take them off one at a time and leave the rest on until you get hungry. Burritos & the like are also best for actual wheeling, since they won't spill. For meat dishes, etc. it's best done on highway travel. But do try some of the "meals," you might surprise yourself. bon appetite! :cheers:

farnhamstj
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
We used one of those cheep Igloo plug into your cigarette lighter fridges last weekend and were impressed at how well it worked. We froze just about everything (brats, juice boxes, milk,steaks,twice baked potato's) at home before leaving for Ouray, by sunday night things were thawed but still had some ice in the liquids. Borrowed it from a friend and thought it was pretty good for a walmart purchase. We used an Engle when we were in AU it was increadible, could freeze everthing solid in a matter of hours. I read a few reviews while there and people seemed down on the Waeco.