PDA

View Full Version : whos running without a front plate?

74fj40
09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Who doesnt have a front licence plate on the car/truck? have you ever been hassled about it? i think it would be nice not to have a front plate. what do you think?

Uncle Ben
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Who doesnt have a front licence plate on the car/truck? have you ever been hassled about it? i think it would be nice not to have a front plate. what do you think?

I have a front on my 80 but thats the first Cruiser I have had one on! I have been hassled by club members and people about no front plate but the cops could care less.

Beater
09-03-2007, 07:34 PM
not true. been pulled over twice for it, both on holliday weekends

ScaldedDog
09-03-2007, 09:00 PM
A coworker of mine got a ticket in Denver for not having one.

At the very least it's probable cause to pull you over, and the then the real fun starts...

Mark

AxleIke
09-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Got pulled over for it. Got a warning, so i zip tied it on.

Now it looks like a cheese grater.

Rezarf
09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I didn't run a rear plate for nearly the entire summer one year. I have never had a front plate on either. I am sure it will catch up to me one day, but for now, no worries. FWIW, I have the front plate in the cruiser at all times. :D

Uncle Ben
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Interesting! Looks like I have been lucky for a long time! Good to know!

corsair23
09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I stick my front plate for the 40 on the dash/windshield...Never been pulled over for it but then again it rarely leaves the garage right now :(

Did the same on my '76 and never had any problems and a buddy of mine with a Grand Prix who lives in Denver hasn't had a front license plate on for at least 3 years or so and so far hasn't been stopped once...

It is like anything though, you may never get stopped for it but then again...

Bighead
09-04-2007, 07:39 AM
I got a warning from the cops for not having it when I first got CO plates for the 4Runner. The "I just moved here from North Carolina so I don't know better" excuse was the only thing that saved me. I have since zip tied it to the front of my TJM.

Red_Chili
09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
I've been hassled before, they can ticket you. It's an easy ticket to avoid.

JadeRunner
09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I was given a waring in South Park. I cut the top off so it didn't stick down as far. As long as the #'s are readable your good.

isotel
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I used to not run one on my old Euro Cars, and always got hassled, So i put it on the 40, it gives them one less thing to pull me over for!

Corbet
09-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I ran without one for a year in Summit County. Never had a problem but I don't drive my cruiser daily.

However, my company car only has a rear plate. I've never been stopped in that either. I put at least 1700 miles per month on that. But they can't ticket me for it, as my plate is a "demo". They only issue them as singles.

I would think that getting stopped for no front plate would only be an excuse by the officer to find something else.

Crash
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I think all of you who said "Yeah, no problem" are now jinxed and soon will be ticketed for non-compliance.
I ain't gonna say a thing about a certain XJS roadster that has a leaper front plate on it in place of a Colorado plate - might jinx myself. :hill:
Leaper = a Jaguar company symbol of a leaping jaguar, natch, as opposed to the Growler which is a face of a snarling Jag.
:cheers:

Uncle Ben
09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Notice anything missing? Seriously, haven't been hassled in over 20+ years!

farnhamstj
09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Got pulled over in Eagle Co for not having one. Don't give them a reason to pull you over.

lonezuk
09-07-2007, 06:12 AM
A warning this year when parked downtown in the peoples republic of boulder.

It just cause for them to check everything else out.

Someone in boulder must have taken the plate, do not know when, why or where.

PatrolMan
09-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Have an ARB front bumper that doesn't have a place for a plate. Made a mount. I have one on my 4Runner now after being pulled over for it. Wife and I had just pulled back on the road and she hadn't put her seatbelt on yet. Shame, shame. Cop really pulled us over for that and to get a good look at us to make sure we weren't doing anything illegal. No plate was just a good excuse to pull us over. Got a ticket for no seat belt. No harm really done.

Jenny Cruiser
09-08-2007, 01:40 AM
You'll get pulled over sooner for having a loose or crooked plate than you will for not having a front plate. I never run a front plate and the lights for my rear plate are 'broken'.

Never been pulled over for no front plate. Knock on wood.:)

Nemesis Gnat
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
my 60 has the old cali plate (the blue and yellow ones) and as far as i know, weve never had a front plate for it... since my mom bought it a year or 2 before i was born, its been run with the rear only, and california is normally anal about this stuff, specially me being a ywm (yound white male) covered in mud... and ive never been pulled over there or in my new home here... not even hassled, not even for the broken off right side mirror, or broken marker lights. only thing ive ever been stopped for is expired tags... which brings up another point, but ill make my own thread about it.

Uncle Ben
09-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Ohhhhhh...the irony! Today, my middle daughter calls, mad as a hornet. She finds a envolope under her drivers side wiper on her car in the collage parking lot. You guessed it......$60 fine for no front plate!!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes: Her car doesn't even have a front bracket thus the reason no front plate. It will now! I'm guessing they will toss it out of court when she provides a receipt and pictures of the new bracket and front plate her arrogant dad installed after he stops stepping on the tail pulled in between his legs.....
.....now I'll go hide under a rock for a while while y'all laugh yer arses off at me..... :o:rolleyes::banghead::brick::doh::homer::flop:

subzali
09-13-2007, 04:55 PM
:doh: :banghead:

So they will pull you over for a crooked plate? Well then I guess I'll have to straighten mine - it gets bent every time I go out and play!

BRKFJ62
09-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Several years ago when we lived in the Front Range and my wife was working in Denver she was fortunate to get two tickets while her vehicle was parked in Denver for no front plate. She went to court on the second one and explained that there was no mount. Judge said to bad, so said. After the $120 for the two tickets I put it on. Easy revenue for Denver. :p:

Crash
09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Ohhhhhh...the irony! Today, my middle daughter calls, mad as a hornet. She finds a envolope under her drivers side wiper on her car in the collage parking lot. You guessed it......$60 fine for no front plate!!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes: Her car doesn't even have a front bracket thus the reason no front plate. It will now! I'm guessing they will toss it out of court when she provides a receipt and pictures of the new bracket and front plate her arrogant dad installed after he stops stepping on the tail pulled in between his legs.....
.....now I'll go hide under a rock for a while while y'all laugh yer arses off at me..... :o:rolleyes::banghead::brick::doh::homer::flop:

UB, reread post #14. Toldjus!! I'm probably next. :hill:

PatrolMan
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
I can understand not having a front plate while driving or being parked on a public street. In a parking lot, a front plate should not be a necessity. Sounds like the college rent a cops with nothing better to do. I thought that parking tickets and moving violations were all the campus police enforced. Hopefully the windshield or tail light isn't cracked too!!!

Uncle Ben
09-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I can understand not having a front plate while driving or being parked on a public street. In a parking lot, a front plate should not be a necessity. Sounds like the college rent a cops with nothing better to do. I thought that parking tickets and moving violations were all the campus police enforced. Hopefully the windshield or tail light isn't cracked too!!!

The ticket was actually issued by DPD not campus Pretend-a-Cops. To me it seems that the private property rules come into play but knowing full well if i try to win that battle I could easily lose the war!

Rezarf
09-19-2007, 09:56 PM
One rumor is that campus police are rent a cops... not so, they are all the real gun wearing boys in blue.

Now the folks who work for campus parking... I am covienced that they have to sell their sould to the devil to take a job like that.

Sorry UB! Bummer.

teamextreme
09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I've never heard of being hassled about a crooked plate, but not being mounted securely can get you a ticket, which is probably the real ticket, and reason, the plate is crooked. Also, all you guys using zip ties to hold plates on, I've heard stories of people getting harrassed about that too. Apparently some po-po must not considered zip ties and a secure means of attachment. I lost my front plate and bracket on my Dakota about 3 years ago in big snow storm, then promptly lost the front plate and bracket on the Ram that replaced it last year in the big snow storm last winter. Never have been hassled, but probably only a matter of time.

My daughter actually got hassled (but no ticket) by CU parking nazi's for the front plate on her TJ. It's there, mounted securely, but it's tucked up behind the tubes on her bumper and he claimed you couldn't read it from certain angles. What a doosh.