PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Rear Taillight/lamp Quality Comparison...

corsair23
09-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Had a little free time this weekend so I thought I would put on my new rear taillights/lamps that I bought. My existing lenses were shot and I "figured" this would be a simple job :rolleyes:

Anyway, I bought some OEM taillights as I forgot I had bought some aftermarket ones for my '76 that I never got around to installing :doh:

Well, I got the DS light out only to find one of the PO's had spliced the old light in :rant:. So, I moved on to the PS light to check it and it wasn't spliced in. So I grab the new taillight and it won't fit! :eek: It appears at some time in the past the 40 had come down HARD on the rear cross member right below the taillight and pushed it up just enough that the taller light housing wouldn't slide in. Ok I say, I'll try the aftermarket taillight I have...NOPE, it won't fit either. So then I put all three together and noted the differences.

The lights that were on the 40 must be the cheapy (I think SOR calls them "economy") aftermarket lights. Narrow housing, poor lense quality, cheap gasket, cheap bulb dividers, and who knows what the connectors looked like as the PO spliced the DS directly and spliced the old OEM connector on on the PS.

The aftermarket lights I purchased and the OEM lights are suprising similar. On the aftermarket lights the housing color is goldish instead of silver, the lense "dividers" are slightly lower quality, they don't have reflectors behind the bulbs, the connectors are slightly different, and they don't have Toyota on them. The lense itself, housing shape, gasket, etc. otherwise appear to be an exact match. These particular ones I purchased are from SOR (pt #148-01D-L or R) and are Japanese made. A word of CAUTION though, I purchased these lights 5 years ago (8/02) so I am not sure if they are still the same now. They look similar to what CCOT carries now per their site except for the connector.

Anyway, here are some pics showing the differences. In the real world I am not sure how much of a difference an owner would notice between better aftermarket lights and the OEM lights once they are installed and whether the $15-$30 per light is worth it to go OEM...I would however suggest NOT going with the uber cheapy lights as they pretty much suck in quality IMO.

corsair23
09-04-2007, 02:03 AM
View of the connectors and also the before and after shots of the what I was dealing with. You can see the dent and the like I made with my dremel...After going through about 20 cutoff disks I finally drilled a hole and used a jig saw to trim the opening so the light would fit...

By the way, anyone know where I can find a 4 pin female connector to redo the DS connection the right way?

:cheers:

SteveH
09-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the photos - it was nice to see the differences across the lights.

wesintl
09-04-2007, 10:16 AM
OEM is the only way to go...

MDH33
09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I always try to use OEM. Cool to see the comparison, thanks for posting it.

Sooo?? Did you finish it?

40's Only Run 12 days and counting... :D

corsair23
09-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Sooo?? Did you finish it?

40's Only Run 12 days and counting... :D

Not quite...I want to give the paint a couple days to dry good and I'm trying to locate a 4-pin female connector to redo the DS the "right" way. So far no luck but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place...I also realized when I went to replace my front turn signals that somewhere along the lines I lost one of the two rubber grommets I bought from SOR 5 years ago :confused:. Have to find one of those now as well :mad:

Also, I think I may have found my blinker no blinky problem...In the 2nd pic of the 2nd set you can see what appears to be a nice ground wire just hanging there...It was connected up so hopefully I'll fix several issues at one time :thumb:.

cristiano
02-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Hello

I have the Brazilian version of the Land Cruiser FJ40, i'ts called here "Toyota Bandeirante".

I'm planning to install the original taillight on rear bumper but I need the dimensions of the housing, someone can measure for me? the hole himself.

The tailight used here is not exactly of the FJ40.

http://images02.olx.com.br/ui/10/85/35/1294000067_143118035_3-toyota-bandeirante-jeep-Carros.jpeg

The back door is different here as well.

By the way what a amazing comparison of the OEM e Aftermark. I'm planning to use the aftermarker good...

cristiano
02-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Here the photos of my FJ40