PDA

View Full Version : Anything specific I should look for?

gr8fulabe
09-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I am going to go look at this 40 after work today.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/car/415542104.html

Anything specific that I should look for on it? I know 40's okay, but truthfully have never even seen a PTO in real life before.

Wasn't sure if anyone has any tips, etc...

Also, if I decide to pass, I will let everyone know what I find!

Thanks in advance,

Best,
Abe

wesintl
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
20mpg :lmao:

gr8fulabe
09-06-2007, 03:41 PM
20mpg :lmao:

Yeah, I saw that myself. But I figure on a scale of 0 to 1,000MPG, she is pretty close when she says 20!

treerootCO
09-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I would look for a valid Colorado title

MDH33
09-06-2007, 03:48 PM
A good title and the original drive train would be nice. I would probably walk away if it has a V8 or something weird in it. That's just me though. with no top, I bet the floors are rusted out.

gr8fulabe
09-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys!

So how do I tell a good Colorado title from a bad/fake one? it seems like it is legit. she shares a garage with her son, and the truck was parked in there until her son moved it outside a few years ago to make room for his expanding motorcycle collection.

Anyway, thanks again.

Best,
abe

Shark Bait
09-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds OK. As long as the tub isn't falling off the frame and it's an F or 2F, it'd be worth it.

Post up some pics. :D

Uncle Ben
09-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Spend the money and do a Carfax! You can also have the DMV run the title number to check legitimacy and possible leans.

corsair23
09-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Spend the money and do a Carfax! You can also have the DMV run the title number to check legitimacy and possible leans.

I don't think you can run a Carfax on a vehicle that old can you :confused:

I tried when I had my account when looking for an 80 and tried to run the VIN on my '74 FJ40 but alas, not enough #s in the VIN for Carfax. Not sure when they went to the longer VIN numbers but I know it was after '76 as my '76 FJ40 had the short VIN # as well

Uncle Ben
09-07-2007, 04:18 AM
I don't think you can run a Carfax on a vehicle that old can you :confused:

I tried when I had my account when looking for an 80 and tried to run the VIN on my '74 FJ40 but alas, not enough #s in the VIN for Carfax. Not sure when they went to the longer VIN numbers but I know it was after '76 as my '76 FJ40 had the short VIN # as well

Ahhhh....that makes sense. I wasn't sure. I have used the Sheriff's Department several times to look up plates and verify legit registrations on vehicles in the properties. That might be another possibility.

Corbet
09-07-2007, 10:09 AM
If a lien is properly placed on a vehicle it is listed on the front of the title. On a vehicle this old I highly doubt there is a lien.

"Salvage" would again be listed on the front of the title but who really cares at this point. Its 30+ years old.

I would just make sure the seller has a title and that the VIN matches. Make sure its in the sellers name.

If they don't have a title its really not that hard to get a new one issued but it will take some time and $. You need to get an appraisal by a dealer, (I can do that for you) get a bond, and have it inspected by HWY Patrol.

gr8fulabe
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Pics of the 40 (not great, they are from my phone)

At least, I think they are attached.

13*,*** miles, pretty beat up, but it is an oem soft top model (she tells me she has the rest of the frame and the top in the garage, but so far I have only seen the oem soft doors up on a shelf & a rolled up top, so who knows for sure). Sadly the drop down tail gate is functional, but not nice. At some point someone has welded in a bunch of steel all across the bottom of it.

Shark Bait
09-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Looks like a good start. Did you try low balling them? :eek: All it needs is a little TLC. :D

Hulk
09-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Those OEM bows are hard to come by, and so are the OEM soft top doors. It might be worth buying just to get those.

Up until a year ago, you could get a replacement for the original style soft top from Specialty Top Company (now out of business). There might be a vendor that still has an OEM style STC top on a shelf for sale -- you could call Specter and Man-A-Fre to find out.

You can still get a replacement from Ehsan in Pakistan, but you'll wait nearly a year to get it.

With the PTO (esp. if it works) and the soft top bows and doors, it's probably worth close to $800 right there.

SteveH
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Looks like a worthy '40, close to stock, but it looks also like every panel needs replacing - so be sure it's what you want it to be (trail beater or resto-candidate) before you pay serious money.

Nothing special about PTO winches, but the PTO gearbox hangs fairly low on the driver's side of the xfer case - be sure it didn't get snapped off on a rock or some wierd thing. Expect both PTO output seals to leak. There should be a lever with a transfer-case-shifter like knob to the left of the shifter to engage the winch.

subzali
09-07-2007, 12:30 PM
See if it's a Ramsey or Toyota PTO. That will change how much it's worth. Definitely looks like a Cruiser that SOMEbody needs to save.

And -ahem-

bezel.

gr8fulabe
09-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, as a resto, it would definitely take some work. Most of the panels are rough (to be nice about it). But I went ahead and put $200 down on it for her to hold it for me until next week (heading out of town right after work today).

She seems like a really honest, nice lady. She bought it back in the early 80's & she used to just drive it around the mountains & town in the summers with the top of, so it hasn't really been, "off roaded". Apparently someone stole it from Campus for a joy ride years ago & sideswiped a light pole. That is why the one q/p is white. She had a neighbor weld that one in from a junkyard cruiser.

Hopefuly I'm not in over my head...

gr8fulabe
09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
See if it's a Ramsey or Toyota PTO. That will change how much it's worth. Definitely looks like a Cruiser that SOMEbody needs to save.

How would I tell the difference? That is actually the first PTO I have ever really looked at closely. She said it was original, & it did look it, but that doesn't mean much.

Also, funny you should mention the Bezel. That was one of the first things I told her & she said it has been on like that since the day she bought it!

wesintl
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
It's a toyota pto...

MDH33
09-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Definitely a worthwhile purchase for the $$. A little bit of maintenance will go a long way on that one I think. Looks like it's dented up and has the typical rot along the rear sill, but most of them do and won't stop it from being an enjoyable rig. Make sure you get all the parts for the soft top if they have them.

Congrats, looking forward to seeing it in person. :thumb:

subzali
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
It should say somewhere, but honestly I just looked at the price again and for $800 it doesn't matter much. A running Cruiser for $800, especially if it does have the bows etc. for the top, is probably worth it. If I had the space...

...just flip the bezel before you move it.

Hulk
09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Agree. That's less than I paid for my first Cruiser, a 1975 FJ40 with a blown 2F engine, back in 1996.