PDA

View Full Version : Things needed for the new 40

gr8fulabe
09-07-2007, 03:14 PM
At the moment, I'm really looking to score some deals, so don't think twice about mentioning an item if you have it & it is in less than perfect condition.

1. new Seats - the ones in it are really torn up. I would have thought that Sept. 74 would be a bench, but it has buckets. Almost looks like a bench frame, that someone bolted bucket seats too??? If you have some you want to offload, speak up!
2. Knobs for the shifter, trasnfer case shifter, and (I assume it should have a knob) the PTO Lever.
3. Turn Signals to replace the busted up ones.
4. Possibly the Clampy/bolt plate thing that connects the drivers side jump roll bar (part around the jump seat) to the crossbar (the entire roll bar is there, but that piece isn't bolted in, & I think that the place is missing).
5. Jump seats, if they were stock in 74 (there is part of one, but not both & she doesn't remember if it used to have two or just one).
6. Possibly a drivers side sun visor -- it is currently lying on the floor & I don't know if it just came loose and fell, or is broken yet.
7. Front bumber - not a must have yet, but if someone has one that isn't bent & it is cheap?
8. Other stuff that I don't know about yet...

Hulk
09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
1. new Seats - the ones in it are really torn up. I would have thought that Sept. 74 would be a bench, but it has buckets. Almost looks like a bench frame, that someone bolted bucket seats too??? If you have some you want to offload, speak up!

If the OEM seats are there, you might think about buying the repro covers from SOR:
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat310.tam?xax=61
They will make your seats look brand new.

5. Jump seats, if they were stock in 74 (there is part of one, but not both & she doesn't remember if it used to have two or just one).

Why? You'll just take them out the first time you go camping and want more space. YMMV, but I wouldn't spend money on jump seats.

7. Front bumber - not a must have yet, but if someone has one that isn't bent & it is cheap?

I have an original bumper, painted white. $20 and it's yours.

nakman
09-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I've got some of the stuff you don't know about yet, post up when you figure it out. :lmao:

congrats on the Cruiser!

Boulder Cruiser
09-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Ive got sun visors, there pretty ratty but the frames are good. Ive also got some turn signals but they are off a 72, not the same style but they'll work. I might have some knobs laying around too.

Congrats looks like great deal!

corsair23
09-07-2007, 04:59 PM
At the moment, I'm really looking to score some deals, so don't think twice about mentioning an item if you have it & it is in less than perfect condition.

3. Turn Signals to replace the busted up ones.

I've got some rear turn signals (NIB) --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4711

And, as soon as I get a new grommet to put on my new front signals I'll have a set of used '75 up front turn signals (on my 12/74 FJ40) that can be seen here --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2464

gr8fulabe
09-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi Hulk,

If the OEM seats are there, you might think about buying the repro covers from SOR:
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat310.tam?xax=61
They will make your seats look brand new.
The seats are oem, but even the foam is completely shot. So I figure it would cost a ton to replace the foam & then do the seat covers. I was hoping maybe someone had an old set around from something they had parted out that wasn't in too bad of shape, so that I could save some money.

Why? You'll just take them out the first time you go camping and want more space. YMMV, but I wouldn't spend money on jump seats.
Okay, sounds like good advice so scratch the jump seats.

I'll take it! Was was white the original color for 74 bumpers, or would it have been Pewter?

Thanks!
Abe

Hulk
09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I'll take it! Was was white the original color for 74 bumpers, or would it have been Pewter?

Thanks!
Abe

It would have been pewter. My 40 had been repainted when I bought it, and many of the pewter pieces had been painted white. Hatfield gives me a hard time about it, although many of the white parts have been replaced.

With some rattle can magic, it can be pewter again. ;)

Hulk
09-07-2007, 05:40 PM
The seats are oem, but even the foam is completely shot. So I figure it would cost a ton to replace the foam & then do the seat covers. I was hoping maybe someone had an old set around from something they had parted out that wasn't in too bad of shape, so that I could save some money.

The SOR route isn't cheap, but it will get you seats that are virtually factory new. SOR sells the foam cushion too.

You can always get some junk yard buckets. They'll probably be more comfortable anyway. :)

Shark Bait
09-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Used Speedo cable. (I've got two of these)

Shark Bait
09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
It would have been pewter. My 40 had been repainted when I bought it, and many of the pewter pieces had been painted white. Hatfield gives me a hard time about it, although many of the white parts have been replaced.

It looked like the ice cream man had borrowed his 40. :lmao:

You can get the OEM pewter color paint from JT Outfitters (http://www.jtoutfitters.com/land-cruiser-silver-trim-paint-pewter-p-2251.html?osCsid=c9a3a62b04d453f7b4b5c86a4e775544).

Blast Tech in Englewood sand blasts stuff:

(303) 806-9992
3775 S Kalamath St Englewood, CO 80110-3461

gr8fulabe
09-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Sweet guys! Keep the goods coming. I hadn't even thought about mechanical stuff yet. Do you think there is a good chance the speedo cable will be too gummed up/stiff to work?

You have to love an ice cream man delivering in a 40.

I am heading out of town until Sunday, so I will be in touch then about parts & such.

Also, I am going to need a new windshield (this one is pretty cracked). Does anyone have one lying around from some other 40, or is it best to just go to a glass shop & get one cut?

thanks,
Abe

Shark Bait
09-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Also, I am going to need a new windshield (this one is pretty cracked). Does anyone have one lying around from some other 40, or is it best to just go to a glass shop & get one cut?

I got mine from Jerry at Boulder Toyota. Check and see if he can still get them.

timmbuck2
09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
X2

:)

Sweet guys! Keep the goods coming. I hadn't even thought about mechanical stuff yet. Do you think there is a good chance the speedo cable will be too gummed up/stiff to work?

You have to love an ice cream man delivering in a 40.

I am heading out of town until Sunday, so I will be in touch then about parts & such.

thanks,
Abe

Shark Bait
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM

The SOR route isn't cheap, but it will get you seats that are virtually factory new. SOR sells the foam cushion too.

You can always get some junk yard buckets. They'll probably be more comfortable anyway. :)

I had good results with the SOR covers and cushions. I replaced only the DS bottom cushion and covered both seats. It all cost me around $400.

MDH33
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
:D Junk yard buckets (definately more comortable):

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/124811453-S.jpg