PDA

View Full Version : Hard top doors FS or trade for older ones?

nakman
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I've got a nice set of red FJ40 doors that fit a 77.. probably other years as well. Turns out they're too fat to fit with the cage as it is now, they run into it and won't close. An older style of door will fit (is that pre-75?). so here are the offers...

Anyone with a set of older skinny doors in decent condition willing to trade outright? (no I don't want to buy any, just trade)

If not, anyone w/o doors want to buy these? They really are in nice shape.. $200 for the pair is probably a fair price.

The catch is, any and all deals need to be finalized by Thursday... who's got some old doors for me?

treerootCO
09-10-2007, 10:34 AM
There are six? sets of older style doors in my garage. Swing by any night and I'll swap you. The only catch is I'll let you dig them out.

nakman
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Mike. Let me confirm the plan with the doors' future owner and I'll give you a call to set something up.

timmbuck2
09-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I'll come along to help...and look for 40 4-speed bellhousings. :)

T

treerootCO
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
No luck on the 4 speed bellhousing. I found one that came off a 60 because it does not have the three holes you need. I found a 3 speed as well. The one I took off my 40 must be in the back of one of the LVs. There are 2 more 4 speed bellhousings in the garage but they are bolted to an engine that is not accessable at this time.

These are the best doors I have Tim. One set is missing the wing vents, they rusted out, and the other set is Convert's if he wants them. The bottoms of these doors were frozen in the ice when I bought them and both were bent when removed from the ice.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
09-10-2007, 08:09 PM
why don't the doors fit?
thought we had plenty of room.

Romer
09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Tim with the color and all that could a simple tweak be done to make them close? Maybe Jim could modify it.

Rezarf
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Clearance them with a little shaping and a big hammer.:D

Seriously though, have you messed with the hinges yet? If it is close there is a bit of wiggle room, but not much.

Drew

MDH33
09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
We tried putting the 77 doors on and they contact the roll cage when they are still 3/4 of the way from fully open. No way it will work without rebuilding the front of the cage. We slapped my '73 doors on it which are about 1 1/2 inches narrower and they just clear. Soft doors, no problem.

nakman
09-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Buyer opted to just keep the red doors, and have the cage modified on his end when/if he decides to run with hard doors. All that need to happen is the top windsheild piece needs to be cut out then cut down, and both legs need to be cut from the bases. Then somehow "squish" it in about 3/4" on each side, then weld it all back up.

Thanks again for pulling those out Mike, we'll call you in a panic if we change out mind on Thursday. :)

treerootCO
09-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Thank you for the beers Nakman.

The Metal-tech cage will fit with the thicker doors if you move the cage within about 1/4" from the dash pad and the clutch pedal. It doesn't interfere at all with the clutch and I have big feet. The window crank also clears within 1/4" and must be operated with two fingers. I tapered the front profile of the cage to match the roof line.