PDA

View Full Version : colorado smog regs?

van
09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey guys i just moved out to the denver area from the california desert and my four runner is definetly not liking the altitude what can i do to get more hp at this altitude as far as smog regulations go? i know in ca we have to have "carb" legal stickers and parts wanted to know about what system they use out here im non fuel injection

MDH33
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
In Denver you still need to pass a fairly strict smog test. :(

As far as losing power due to the altitude, just get used to it... :D

One of the 'runner gurus can probably suggest some tweaks that will help. :thumb:

Red_Chili
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah. Install a 5VZ-FE. Works like magic.

You will notice a significant loss of power as mentioned. You have to pass the emissions test, and have all emissions devices installed, but what these guys are missing is the fact you have entered a CARB-free zone! As long as you pass emissions, you can modify as you like. Weber anyone?

The bad news is, there is nothing (short of a supercharger, with a new headgasket puh-leeeeze!) you can do to regain the power you lost, short of swapping motors.

Which, coincidentally, happens to be rather popular around here.

I do have to take a little back though. www.engnbldr.com has a wealth of parts to help the 22RE breathe better. You can built a 22RE that will make 135HP+ at sea level. Which means you will make about 112 or so up here. Almost what you had...

van
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
is their a source for the stock carb jets? i realized that a tune up and jetting and such was a no brainer i did all that except the jetting b4 i left if i can get the jetting correct it will be fine but i was more interested in information like what types of headers and such are legal and carb mods as well i have built more then a few track and autocross cars as well as some pre runner race trucks with freinds out in cali but this is my first yota and a new state smog system thanx guys for the help

LandBruiser
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Advance the timing and play with the Air Flow Meter?