PDA

View Full Version : co registration

Nemesis Gnat
09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
so im a recent transplant from california... and i hate smog testing... the only reason im still legal is cali is because i have a family member with a shop... so im tryin to figure out how i can get around all that bs

so i live in boulder, sorta, up 4 mile, but its still boulder county, and i think you guys do your smog laws and stuff by county? that part confused me...

but so i think ive come to understand that boulder isnt much if at all better than cali... right?

my family does have a working ranch in south colorado, hillside... are laws slacker there? i think so as weve never had to smog our ranch cars...

and whats the deal with them "truck" plates?

can someone help me here? what do i gotta do? i pretty much wanna switch reg to colorado, and hopefully avoid smog testing

Nemesis Gnat
09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
woop, just found a thread sorta about this in the tech section, so ill read that... but if anyone just feels like helpin me out here, i wont complain...

Nemesis Gnat
09-12-2007, 09:00 PM
and turns out that other thread doesnt really answer and of my questions... so help!

corsair23
09-12-2007, 10:41 PM
If you go here: http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/home.asp

You should find a lot of what you are looking for. IIRC Boulder is in the emissions testing area so you need to get tested and depending on the age of the vehicle you either have to get the full blown test or the more minimal test.

Out of state vehicles I believe need a VIN check done (at least they do when you purchase an out of state vehicle) which can be done at the emissions testing facility or with the proper form in hand, by the police.

Some people do register their vehicles in counties where emission testing is not required so that may be a possibility for you...

Truck plates are theoretically ONLY supposed to be issued to true trucks, with a bed. The rec truck plates/registration cost less for yearly renewal so they are pretty popular if you have a truck.

My suggestion, read up what you can on the web site and if you have specific questions call the DMV office nearest you (or stop in). USUALLY they are very helpful and will tell you exactly what you need to get your rig registered.

What might be helpful if those that live up there by you could tell you which office is best to visit - some of them can get VERY busy and mean long wait times :(

Red_Chili
09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
The emissions routine here is NOTHING like Kolly-for-nya. There is no CARB compliance. They do a visual for smog equipment, do a dyno tailpipe test, and if you are clean you are good. It's really for the best, as the Front Range has been struggling with air quality since *I've* been here in the early '70s, and it is much better now than then.

Want to do an engine swap? No big deal, pick a motor the same vintage or newer than your vehicle, do it right, get the Colorado Dept. of Health to inspect it and write a letter of inspection, you are good to go. Wanna change headers, intake, etc.? No problem, no CARB compliance: they measure the emissions and if you are clean, you are good.

Smog equipment is good for all of us.

Uncle Ben
09-13-2007, 09:09 AM
The emissions routine here is NOTHING like Kolly-for-nya. There is no CARB compliance. They do a visual for smog equipment, do a dyno tailpipe test, and if you are clean you are good. It's really for the best, as the Front Range has been struggling with air quality since *I've* been here in the early '70s, and it is much better now than then.

Want to do an engine swap? No big deal, pick a motor the same vintage or newer than your vehicle, do it right, get the Colorado Dept. of Health to inspect it and write a letter of inspection, you are good to go. Wanna change headers, intake, etc.? No problem, no CARB compliance: they measure the emissions and if you are clean, you are good.

Smog equipment is good for all of us.

Close....but Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has nothing do do with getting a certificate....at least directly. You call Envirotest and set up an appointment to have it inspected by a Referee. They will do a visual and depending on the Ref they may or may not know what they are looking at. :rolleyes: Be sure to have information on what the engine came from and if possible have the donor vehicles VIN # in hand. If it is OBD or OBDII don't even try if the check engine light is on and they will check to see if the check engine light is operational. OBDII they will most likely plug in a scanner too. After you get the magic piece of paper then you can get it e-tested easy wherever you need too with no additional hoops. The rule is you have to pass emission requirements for which ever is newer, the vehicle or the engine.

Romer
09-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Don't know what truck your running, but if its older than 1982 then I would recommend you go to one of the mom and pop emissions places and then get a 5 year collector plate. The plate is good for 5 years and you never have to get emissions done as long as you own the vehicle, BUT your truck has to be older than 25 years.
The smog stuff was gone off of my 40 and they passed based on the tailpipe test.

Nemesis Gnat
09-13-2007, 02:03 PM
ya... it runs dirty, it doesnt pass cali emissions, i had to have a family member retest it... so i doubt itll pass emissions here regardless... ill look into that site about registration through our ranch, thanks so far!

ps, holy **** i just realized i can do things like headers and stuff like that... iiim sorta stoked on life... death to carb

Red_Chili
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Close....but Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has nothing do do with getting a certificate....at least directly. ...
I went to the Colo. Dept of Health, they regulate Envirotest. He checked out the conversion in depth, admired the work Mike Caskey did, didn't even plug in an ODBII reader but noted Mike put the plug very close to where it is in a 1996 4Runner. Got the letter to show Envirotest. Great guy.

bustanutley
09-13-2007, 03:09 PM
what is the vehicle? it is easy to pass emission if they are older...

Masofuni
09-15-2007, 01:54 PM
You could move to Fairlay - no emmisions in Park County.

Nemesis Gnat
09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
its a 85 fj60 with the 2f

and no i just moved into this house, so itll be a lil bit before i head out again...

looks like even if i register it from my ranch, if i commute to or spend the majority of my time in a controlled county, then i need to smog it... so i guess i gotta lie some...

i got until november, ill keep doing research and post up what i know for future peeps with this question.

corsair23
09-17-2007, 12:09 AM
looks like even if i register it from my ranch, if i commute to or spend the majority of my time in a controlled county, then i need to smog it... so i guess i gotta lie some...

Yep...that is the "catch 22". Better (for you and the air) to just deal with it and get it to pass emissions than have to worry whether or not you'll get caught.

I'd would be surprised though, unless your 60 is running like total crap, that it won't pass emissions. I assume you haven't actually had it tested yet, but rather your basing your view that it will fail because of your CA experience? It might be worth the $25 (or whatever it is nowadays) to get it tested and if it fails, what it failed for. That way you will know what you need to concentrate on fixing :thumb:

The emissions testing places are state run (contracted out probably) so it really doesn't matter if it is Boulder or Denver or Littleton, the testing is the same with the same requirements. The unknown would be the different experience levels of the folks working at each station. Down by me (Colo Blvd and County Line Rd) the place is staffed by a LOT of young kids that don't really have a clue what should be on an old rig. They just glance it over, put the sniffer in the tailpipe (older cars), and if you pass you pass. The do check your gas cap to make sure it seals.

If it were me, I'd drive like a bat out of hell on the highway for a good 30 mins +, full bore, to try to clean everything out and immediately take it in for testing. Worked on my '82 Toy pickup when it failed years ago.