PDA

View Full Version : Learn Scuba

Shark Bait
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM
If anyone wants to learn to scuba dive, I'm a PADI instructor. I'm doing a class & pool session OCT 26, 27 & 28 at A-1 Scuba (http://www.a1scuba.com). My next open water certification course is NOV 17 & 18 at Blue Hole. Let me know if you're interested or want to know more.

Uncle Ben
09-13-2007, 08:26 PM
I have to put in a plug for Chris and this class! My wife and I did this with Chris a couple years ago and it was an absolute gas! I am looking forward to playing some underwater catch football (torpedo) with Chris again one day! We learned a lot and had a really fun night. I might have to pencil in these dates and take it again! Try it....YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

Shark Bait
09-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks Kevin! It is a fun sport.

I should have been more specific in the title. The two courses I listed would result in certification to scuba dive once they were both completed. I'd be happy to offer a Discover Scuba night for the club sometime if some of you would like to just try it out. :)

Rezarf
09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
That'd be AWESOME, I did a lot of free diving and snorkeling when I lived in Florida, I could never afford the gear for scuba as a kid... now i live in the mountains. :D

Red_Chili
09-14-2007, 09:37 AM
What is the cost, Chris?

Shark Bait
09-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Take a look at this link: http://www.a1scuba.com/classes/owc_class.shtml and this one: http://www.a1scuba.com/classes/owc_dive.shtml

The two classes I mentioned here are weekend courses. Both are required for certification. The class & pool I'm teaching is Friday night from 6-10 and Saturday & Sunday from 9-3:30. Then the open water course is 4 dives over two days. The one I am teaching in November is at Blue Hole in New Mexico, which is a 6 hour drive from here. You typically travel down early Saturday morning, dive Saturday afternoon and again Sunday morning and then drive home. Class & pool is $150. Materials are around $90. Open water at Blue Hole is $185 and you need to rent equipment.

Pretty much everything you want to know is on the A-1 Scuba web site, but if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Corbet
09-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Chris, I wish I would have known 6 months ago you were an instructor. I just got certified this year with Beaver Divers up here in Vail.

SCUBA is great fun. Anyone with the time should do it. The highlight of our last vacation was diving. Most of our future vacations will be now planned around diving.

Shark Bait
09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
How did you like Beaver Divers? I've always wanted a t-shirt from there. He doesn't keep regular hours, so every time I've been by he's been closed. :(

I'm teaching an Advanced Open Water class 10/10 with open waters at the Crater in Utah on 10/12 & 10/13, if you'd like to join me. :D

Corbet
09-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Beaver Divers was good. I did my open water at the Crater.

They have been open anytime I've stopped by. I work down the street. But he has the normal mountain or bankers hours we all do up here.

We still have a couple "free" advanced classes to take with him that he "included" with the purchase of our equipment. So for now we are good. But you'll be the one I call in the future.

For anyone thinking about taking up the sport. I highly recommend the purchase of your own gear. Marianne and I debated this for a while but are very happy we made the plunge into ownership of equipment.

Uncle Ben
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I was a "Beaver Diver" once....then I signed on the dotted line and she wears the ring.....ohhh those were the days.....:rolleyes::hill:

ginericLC
09-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Kevin you crack me up!

I haven't taken a course from Chris but I've wheeled with and from that experience I imagine he'd be a darn good teacher.

I learned through a PADI instructor in Guam back in 93. Our learning pool was a harbor on the Pacific. It is a lot of fun. I'm a warm water diver though. We sold all our gear last year as with the little guy our opportunities to get into the warm water diminished greatly.

It is an awesome thing to do with your spouse. I think it teaches you to communicate better. One of the divemasters on one of our dives in Palau started cracking up. She said it was hilarious watching us dive together and watch how we communicated. Drew since you are a newlywed I'd definitely recommend learning to dive for you and your new spouse. Then before you have kids you can go on some adventures together.

Shark Bait
10-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Had a wonderful weekend with my scuba class. Kevin O'Reilly, aka "sno bored" joined me and did great!

The next class & pool I am teaching is December 7, 8 & 9 at A-1 Scuba. You're all welcome. :D

treerootCO
10-29-2007, 12:56 AM
I should probably finish my classes. Sky diving and bungee jumping doesn't scare me but water sure does.

sno bored
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I had a great time in this class. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try scuba. Chris is a great teacher, and he makes the class fun. :thumb:

Kipper
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
here's another plug for Chris! great instructor, even makes you go through your dive tables (which I needed). he hooked me up with a refresher, last minute before our trip to hawaii last december. the diving was great, such a cool sport, I can't wait to do it again, i'm really starting to get back into it. I just got my first issue of SCUBA magazine to feed the addiction.

Inukshuk
11-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Did my confined water dives and class this weekend. It was great. I could not be in Chris' pool class due to scheduling but I will be going to the Blue Hole :flamingo: in NM in two weeks with him and Sno Bored :thumb:. Way fun and a lot less dusty than wheeling! Time to start planning the Baja :guapo: 4x4 SCUBA expedition.... :cheers:

subzali
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I just got this email at work this morning, now I REALLY want to go scuba diving! :rolleyes: :eek:

EDIT: link broke...oh well. Someday I might have to join you guys in the pool!

Shark Bait
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
:confused: Daniel looks like he's ready. I know Kevin is. :D