PDA

View Full Version : brake lights on

subzali
09-14-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm kinda getting tired of this random stuff :mad:

My turn signals stopped working randomly - I checked all the wiring and everything is fine, but I'm not even getting a click when I hit the lever. The only thing I can think of is that maybe my hazard switch is completely dead and I need to find someone who has one they are willing to part with or at least let me use to diagnose the potential problem.

Completely unrelated, my brake lights are staying on once I press the pedal because the pedal no longer rises high enough to press the switch. I haven't had a real good chance to crawl under there and check it, but I'm so paranoid about my brake booster going out and burning up cyls 5 & 6 that I want to check and see if that could be a sign of the brake booster leaking.

If it is, then maybe I could pull the carb, replace the brake booster, drop another hose clamp down into the intake and about February or so have it come apart and get stuck in my valves again and bang up my pistons some more. That might be fun. :rolleyes:

Rezarf
09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Matt-

Not to worry, it just means your cruiser is always slowing down. :D

Seriously, there is a spring to return the brake and clutch pedals up, I would be a tightening of the spring would help. Maybe even a new one. Any good hardware store can match it.

Hope it helps man... fwiw, scratch the hose clamp idea... it is over-rated.

Drew

subzali
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Matt-

Not to worry, it just means your cruiser is always slowing down. :D

Seriously, there is a spring to return the brake and clutch pedals up, I would be a tightening of the spring would help. Maybe even a new one. Any good hardware store can match it.

Hope it helps man... fwiw, scratch the hose clamp idea... it is over-rated.

Drew

Thanks Drew, I think that's where I was going to start, but just trying to figure out "what changed" before I go and put a band-aid on that's going to cover up a more serious problem.

And as far as the hose clamp goes, yeah BTDT :rolleyes:

MDH33
09-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Matt, I think there is an adjustment as well as a spring. So you should be able to tighten things up with a new spring and tweak the point that the light switches on.

Turn signals again?? :homer:Doh!

corsair23
09-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm kinda getting tired of this random stuff :mad:

My turn signals stopped working randomly - I checked all the wiring and everything is fine, but I'm not even getting a click when I hit the lever. The only thing I can think of is that maybe my hazard switch is completely dead and I need to find someone who has one they are willing to part with or at least let me use to diagnose the potential problem.

Matt, I don't have a spare hazard switch but you're welcome to borrow mine to see if that makes any difference. I'll warn you now though that my blinkers aren't 100% either :mad:. Left works fine but when I signal right I get 4-way flashers. No change from the old lights to brand new ones just installed and everything else (brake, parking, etc.) seems to work just fine. The hazard switch looks like a PITA to get out, at least on mine. high on the dash and I got a whole bunch of "stuff" below it that looks like I might have to disconnect to get up under there...

treerootCO
09-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Check the condition of your brake pads, readjust all your brake pads, check for leaks, fill the reservoir, adjust the pedal according to the FSM, and you should be good to go.

subzali
09-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Jeff,

yes it's a PITA. It's a two-person job. If your radio hole is open it's easy to get out that way, or the ash tray hole. But disconnecting it from the wiring harness is the two-person job, as far as I can tell. Once I get time :rolleyes: I'll let you know and I can swing by and see if we can get it figgered out.

corsair23
09-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Jeff,

yes it's a PITA. It's a two-person job. If your radio hole is open it's easy to get out that way, or the ash tray hole. But disconnecting it from the wiring harness is the two-person job, as far as I can tell. Once I get time :rolleyes: I'll let you know and I can swing by and see if we can get it figgered out.

Figures :eek:

Radio hole is full of "switches" (ARB compressor, front/rear locker, rear lights, and something else that escapes me right now)...Below that is my aftermarket heater (Mojave I think)...So maybe through the ashtray hole but gonna need someone with a small hand to get through there :D...Can't remember but IIRC access from the glove box is blocked as well.

One thinking I have not yet tried is gradually moving the hazard switch ever so slightly and checking to see what happens each time. I saw a thread on MUD where folks have had success at isolating the problem to the hazard switch because by moving it ever so slightly the blinker would start working. My 40 is probably just possesed :hill:

But hey, if you hadn't posted up awhile ago about the blinker/hazard switch connection I wouldn't even have thought that could have anything to do with the issue :thumb:

subzali
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Going back through some old threads just for fun :D

I realized I had five or six threads about my turn signals going bad - I think I finally have that kicked! Once I got it wired properly, got the switch cleaned up, bulbs, everything, they work real good and are solid. It was funny though, in the beginning my left signal was flaky, then gradually it was my right turn signal, and intermittently both of them would stop working. So thank you to Rising Sun for putting up with me (I have 5 pages of tech threads that I started when I do a search)! :risingsun:

Finishing up this thread, over time I have made sure my brake pads have plenty of life, my brake shoes have plenty of life, I now have stainless steel brake hoses, FJ60 booster, new master cylinder, and new rear cylinders (that are the right size - 7/8). I have everything adjusted pretty tight and I could probably lock up my tires at 65mph if I really had the guts to try :eek: and I was still getting the brake light staying on when I let off the brake.

Turns out my adjusting rod was too loose, so I had more pedal drop (freeplay) than I was supposed to. So I took it apart and made a couple adjustments - if it's too tight then the brakes will be applied even if your foot is off the pedal, but if it's too loose the switch won't go off. So I found the happy medium and now my light goes off :D

My pedal is RIGHT THERE though - you'd better want to stop if you hammer the pedal too hard - because you WILL stop - or at least the tires will stop spinning :D. I kinda like that feeling compared to some other Cruiser owners that have brake fade etc. :D

I'm just not 100% sure how much travel I'm supposed to have, I would think if I had too much then that would mean my rear cylinders aren't adjusted properly, so if I had to double-pump for any reason (like on snow or something) then the pedal height would rise, which I also wouldn't want.

Anyway all systems are working good, just a few adjustments were needed. It all comes together, a little bit at a time, over time.

nuclearlemon
08-13-2009, 06:06 PM
:thumb: Way to go matt! feels good accomplishing that doesn't it?

corsair23
08-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Sheesh...Has it really been almost 2 years and my blinkers still don't work right?

Thanks for reminding me Matt :( :hill:

Glad you got yours all sorted out!

subzali
08-13-2009, 07:30 PM
:thumb: Way to go matt! feels good accomplishing that doesn't it?

yes. finally I think I'm in the clear.

I also had a chance to take apart my high beam switch lever and clean that contact as well. Now my brights know when they're supposed to be on. Feels good.