PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad bed in/break in procedure?

corsair23
09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Awhile ago Ben told me I would be needing new front pads on the 80 soon, probably in 2 months...Boy was he wrong because he told me this 3 months ago :hill: - Never doubt the wise words of Ben :thumb:

Anyway, I got new pads (80 series) from CDan earlier this week and last night I'm in the garage when the wife comes down the street in the 80 and I can hear the unmistakeable wear indicator "squeal" coming from the 80 - good timing I guess.

Long story short, I'm trying to find out if there is a break in or bed in procedure recommended by Toyota? I glanced at my LX FSM last night on the brake replacement procedure and I know there is some stuff in there. I searched MUD and found very little. Did a google search and found some stuff but it all states that you need to do what the manufacturer recommends for the rotor/pad combo you have...

So, for those that have replaced the front brakes before anything particular I should definitely do? Multiple stops from 60 to 10mph seems to be a typical suggestion from what I read.

Oh, and any tips on the actual pad replacement? First time I've ever futzed with replacing brake pads but it looks to be fairly straight forward. I'm not replacing the rotors and don't plan to bleed the brakes (yet) due to time contraints...

TIA

Inukshuk
09-14-2007, 04:51 PM
The past few times I have just removed the tire & wheel, unclipped the old pads, pressed out the caliper and slid in the new ones. Very quick and easy. But, maybe that's why my brakes suck. I can't get the ABS to kick in on dry pavement in a panic stop..... :-(

I know my rotors are due for a turn/replacement. They were replaced 70K ago.

Three Wheel Ben
09-15-2007, 04:14 PM
this site has some pretty good info. We used to use it alot for reference. Go to the faq section.

www.stoptech.com

corsair23
09-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks Ben and kudos again for being nearly spot on in your assessment of the 80s front brakes :thumb:

As for Stop Tech's site, it was one I found during my Google search on Friday and they have some good info. But I believe they were the ones that somewhere stated following the manufacturer's recommended brake bed-in procedures...I searched and looked and couldn't find any Toyota specific bed-in procedures :confused:

Of course, they also state this as well:"Often times, weather or other conditions can prevent one from fully bedding-in the brakes before having to drive the car. Fortunately, this is not a dire situation. If you are running new street/performance pads and rotors, remember that they are designed for the street and will slowly bed-in by themselves over time. Typically just a few stops from moderate speeds will start the bed-in process for normal driving.

In general, as long as the brakes are not overheated, you can drive them at normal street limits indefinitely without worrying about a formal bed-in. It's only when you get them good and hot that a fully bedded-in system becomes so important. This is why we recommend a slightly more aggressive bed-in procedure than most…we know performance brake customers are not “normal” and typically can't wait to try their new brakes at speed."
Here are some of the "white papers" I read should anyone be interested

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml)

Pad and Rotor Bed-In Theory, Definitions and Procedures (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml)

How to Bleed Brakes – The Right Way (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_howto_bleedbrakes.shtml)

I think my plan will be to do 5-6 stops from 45-50 mph (hard to get up to 60 around here only to jump down to just 10 and then do it all over again) and call it good. If the pads only last me 25K that is about 3 yrs of driving :)

Inukshuk
09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Read the stoptech.com site. Sounds convincing. Explains why my brakes are fine, strong even, in all but panic-type stops.