PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Good Year MTR's

hykerwilson
09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know where someone can get good old Good Year MTR's? Like the ones that came on the Hummers (Army issue)

I had a set on my VJ1 and thought that they were one of the best tires. Anyone have an idea?

PS how does one post pictures to the gallery?

Thanks for the help.

BogusBlake
09-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Those are called GY Wrangler MT's. They added the /R when they started looking like they do now.

I've come across quite a few of those in good condition at Military surplus vehicle junkyards. I'm new to CO, so I don't know where any are here, but there's one in Tucson, AZ that had STACKS of them- they wanted less than $100 apiece.

IIRC, they only come in 1 or 2 sizes, and I think they might even need a 16.5" rim. They were designed for use on HMMWV's. (H1's for the kids)

ginericLC
09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Those are for 16.5" rims. They are really pretty expensive. Our local Les Schwab www.lesschwabtires.com has them here in Idaho. They use them for gov't replacements on the Hum Vees, but they will sell them to anyone.

hykerwilson
09-14-2007, 09:00 PM
I actually got mine at SEARS, believe it or not about 6-7 years ago, a set of 33's and a set of 35's. both were single wall sides. real flexible and real easy to get a side wall puncture.

The 37's that were also available a few years back were the kevlar one's for the army. Darn good tire. no flats there. I'm looking for the 33 and or 35's. prefer the 33's.

they are actually on the picture in the avatar. my vj1

subzali
09-17-2007, 07:50 AM
FWIW a lot of us run the new style MT/Rs and have had good success with them.