PDA

View Full Version : Tires, passenger car all weather?

Rezarf
09-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Howdy folks-

We are in need of new tires for our Corolla, and I am looking for some advice from those who know more than me.

We are looking for good all-weather traction (snow and rain) first. Then good wear, then quiet.

This is front wheel drive and little bitty tires.

I was at Sams Club tonight and noticed a set of Goodyear Assurance triple tread tires... They looked nice, and we really need something good in the snow.

That said, we only want one tire, not a set of snow tires and summer tires.

Let me know what you like!

Thanks!

Drew

nakman
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Those Goodyear Assurance are actually really good tires.. had them on our Passat and really liked them, would buy again. hth..

corsair23
09-16-2007, 08:57 PM
What is a passenger car? :confused:

Seriously though the closest thing I've had to a car in about 10 yrs was the wife's Liberty...We put the Bridgestone Revo ATs on that and liked 'em. I don't think they make them small enough to fit a Corolla though.

You might was to peruse http://www.tirerack.com/

Put in the car and then tire type you want. Then, when looking at specific tires check out the reviews, especially those reviews where the car is the same as or close to what you have (pretty sure you can drill the reviews down to vehicle make). That way, you are getting some info on how the tires hopefully will perform on your car vs something bigger/heavier etc.

Rezarf
09-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Those Goodyear Assurance are actually really good tires.. had them on our Passat and really liked them, would buy again. hth..

Nak-

Are they the ones with the aggressive strip down the center?

Thanks!

wesintl
09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
I really like bridgestone for passenger car tires. I'm not much of a fan of some of the other major brands.

I've had the Bridgestone Potenza re950 on my camry. Long lasting and very good in all conditions. It's more of a performance tire though. I'm still on them with 80k :D

I replaced the tires on the Jetta TDI with the Bridgestone G009 since the re950 were no longer available and were a replace ment for them. Again a more performance tire but does well in the snow and rain. I'll be driving on these in the hills to go skiing this year since i'm selling the camry.

Bridgestone is a good tire IMHO

Rezarf
09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, we have to make several trips back to Iowa this winter, and the Corolla gets the nod, not the 40 :D

That said, I'd feel better if Stacy had really good tires on her car this winter, I may be getting a set of front cable "chains" for it for the really rough stuff, but that is where the cruiser shines!

I was really partial to Michelins until I started to run my MT/R's, which I LOVE, now Goodyear may get my money again.

Rezarf
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Trying to avoid two sets...

We are wanting to get dangerously close to a dedicated snow tire, without hosing ourselves on the treadlife of the tire.

We pretty much want it all :D

ginericLC
09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm running the BFG Touring TAs on our Passat. I like them so far. The one thing I don't like about Michelins is they wear too well. This is because the rubber is very hard. I think you sacrifice some traction to get the wear rating up. I second the looking up the specs on Tire Rack.

Also, I would recommend running Nitrogen in them since you aren't going to be doing the air up and air down. I've found it to be phenomenal on our Passat as far as keeping pressures equal summer, fall, winter, and spring. With the way Colorado winters are I think it might help you keep the pressure more equalized all winter without too much trouble. It is free at most tire stores these days.

Corbet
09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Nokian WR

I'm getting ready to order our 2nd set for the wife's Outback.

Excellent snow tire. Very Quiet. Can't comment on tread life as the first set got pulled early due to a flat tire. Wife drove 6 miles on it. Could not repair. But they seemed to be wearing OK up to that point.

Corbet
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
I've also run the following "all season tires"

Goodyear Assurance, Liked them. But have not had them in the snow yet. Rain good, quiet.

Michelin HydroEdge. Had them on our old Outback. Installed at 80K, traded the car in at 115K. They hardly showed any wear. Rain was excellent. Pretty quiet. Snow above average. But the Nokian hands down MUCH better.

Bridgestone Potenza RE92a. OEM on our Outback. Worst "all season" tire I've ever used in snow. Rain OK, Tread life OK, Noise OK. I'd never recommend to anyone.

Laramie, Grandeur Classic. I only mention this tire because, for a tire that I did not expect to like I really did.

I've probably run 50 other tires up here in the snow on various Subaru's. (I get a Demo from work) Nothing else was that memorable.

wesintl
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Bridgestone Potenza RE92a. OEM on our Outback. Worst "all season" tire I've ever used in snow. Rain OK, Tread life OK, Noise OK. I'd never recommend to anyone.

Guess it'd just preference cause i'd never drive a subaru or recommend one to anyone. :D

actually I have the G009's which are much better.

CardinalFJ60
09-18-2007, 11:39 AM
We put some Michelin Harmony's on the Subaru. Excellent Tire in rain, snow, etc.. excellent wear, too. even on the AWD.

That being said, we did go to the Blizzaks last year (given to us as a hand-me down) - traction like they were shootin' super glue outta'em!!

Corbet
09-18-2007, 11:40 AM
actually I have the G009's which are much better.

Completely different tire than the RE92. More open shoulder, probably a little better in the snow. But both are more on the performance end of the "all season" spectrum. I think he is more interested in a snow tire he can leave on all year, as am I.

I like the Bridgestones in the summer.

wesintl
09-18-2007, 11:47 AM
The reality is it's summer here alot longer. Pretty much any new tire will work well in the snow a couple times if you slow down but keep momentum and drive accordingly. If your going skiing all the time or live in the mtns then it's a different story.

last winter here I don't expect to happen for another 30 years.

Jenny Cruiser
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I wish we had weather like that every year. I love snow. :)

Rezarf
09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, we had a scary incident last year coming down Berthoud, where we had a tire push dirt over the edge we were heading over. I am convienced that it was the grace of God we didn't pitch off the edge.

Everyone had to get out of the drivers side. We were going 10mph in low gear, no brakes, it was like I was driving on straight ice. One gal in the back had a panic attack after we got out, it was really too close.

That said, I will give up some tread life to my know my wife, family and friends are riding on good rubber come the slick stuff. And Wes, you're so right, the summer is a much longer season here but we pound the miles in this car (25K last year alone), and come rain or snow we are going for it across the country during the holidays.

Leaning towards the Goodyears, I will have to check out the Nokian, but if Sams doesn't sell them, they probably won't be considered.

Thanks for the imput!

Drew

Hulk
09-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Nokian WR

I'm getting ready to order our 2nd set for the wife's Outback.

Excellent snow tire. Very Quiet. Can't comment on tread life as the first set got pulled early due to a flat tire. Wife drove 6 miles on it. Could not repair. But they seemed to be wearing OK up to that point.

Nokians are the bomb. Best winter tire I've ever driven. I had them on my Audi and they were amazing. They're made in Finland, where it snows much of the year.

Rezarf
09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know how to track down corporate deals or coupons? Goodyears is where we are heading.

I have searched but can't find much, I got a $60 coupon when I bought my MTRs, if there is something out there I would like to find it.

Thanks!

Drew

AxleIke
09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
What? No MT/R's for the corrolla? You'd only need like a 24 inch lift!

LOL, J/K.

Hope you get a good deal. Keep an eye out for PepBoy's Buy 3 get 1 Free deals. Discount Tire will price match. I got the tires on my truck for 350 that way.

corsair23
09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Discount Tire will price match.

x2...And, just because you don't see it in the store or online doesn't mean they can't get it. They can get pretty much any tire you want. You may have to call more than one Discount Tire shop to find a manager willing to order in the tires and price match like I did though.

Rezarf
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Gotta be honest. A lot of folks knock anything that has to do with Sam Walton, but the dude gives me free balance and rotation every 4000 miles, and it is a stones throw away from my house.

I have decided on the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread, the tire guy said he was blown away with the tires performance and it gets great reviews at tirerack.com. Goodyear flew him out to try them heads up against other tires and he was impressed, he said they will be his next tire for sure.

It is an all season, but it is suposed to be great in the snow and the reviews of owners seems to back it up. It has been awarded the "Snow Flake" award? Have no idea what that is though :D

corsair23
09-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Gotta be honest. A lot of folks knock anything that has to do with Sam Walton, but the dude gives me free balance and rotation every 4000 miles, and it is a stones throw away from my house.

Drew, no knocking of Walton here...Just that you mentioned Sams Club didn't carry some of the other brands mentioned so if you were seriously considering some of them then Discount Tire might be the place to try and get them :thumb:

When I was looking for the Toyo MTs there were few places in town that Toyo said carried them. Found out through Romer that Discount could get them. First shop I called didn't care to be bothered with ordering them so I called another shop who said no problem :). In talking with them they said they can pretty much get whatever tire a person wants, regardless of whether you see it in their store (in person or online) or not.

Rezarf
09-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Good stuff Jeff- I appreciate the tip. I wasn't trying to throw out suggestions, just the opposite, I hate how text comes across sometimes.

Thanks!:thumb:

corsair23
09-20-2007, 12:17 AM
BTW, those tires look pretty sweet, for a car tire :hill:

They have some serious siping which hopefully means you'll get some good "bite" in snow/ice conditions.

Rezarf
09-20-2007, 08:57 AM
That is the hope, and the siping goes all the way down to the carcass of the tire too! Goodyear says the center is for snow and ice, the middle strips are for rain, and the outter edgers are for the dry... we'll see :D

Audi quatro's run these from the factory so they must have something going for them.

Drew

Corbet
09-20-2007, 09:54 PM
It has been awarded the "Snow Flake" award? Have no idea what that is though :D

Severe Snow Conditions

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Rezarf
09-21-2007, 08:22 AM
I thought it refered to the dolphin in "Ace Ventura Pet Detective"... couldn't figure out how they related, thanks for the info! :D