PDA

View Full Version : 40's Only Run

corsair23
09-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks to Martin for getting the 40s only run set up. It was a LOT of fun and gave me a chance to actually drive the 40 farther than just around the neighborhood.

I didn't have my camera (couldn't find it this morning) so no pics from me :o, but I know several folks had a camera along so hopefully they'll get a chance to post up some pics over the next few days.

Weather was good, then bad, then good again :D. Typical CO weather...I even got hailed on coming down Fall River Rd just outside of Alice. The trail was great and the scenery was spectacular :thumb:

Lessons learned today for me are that my 40 with the weber carb doesn't like high elevations at all, it makes a funny noise/sensation through the steering wheel when hitting bumps (like a rod spinning really fast and then touching something), and 8 hours in a 40 is probably equivalent to 1 week in the LX :hill:...My back took a beating :p:

Uncle Ben
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks to Martin for getting the 40s only run set up. It was a LOT of fun and gave me a chance to actually drive the 40 farther than just around the neighborhood.

I didn't have my camera (couldn't find it this morning) so no pics from me :o, but I know several folks had camera so hopefully they'll get a chance to post up some pics over the next few days.

Weather was good, then bad, then good again :D. Typical CO weather...I even got hailed on coming down Fall River Rd just outside of Alice. The trail was great and the scenery was spectacular :thumb:

Lessons learned today for me are that my 40 with the weber carb doesn't like high elevations at all, it makes a funny noise/sensation through the steering wheel when hitting bumps (like a rod spinning really fast and then touching something), and 8 hours in a 40 is probably equivalent to 1 week in the LX :hill:...My back took a beating :p:

Dude.....your back took a beating? That was the roughest ride I have been in in a long....llllloooooonnnnnnggggggg time! :eek: I had a blast too! All runs in the past were only 40's and starving carbs and vapor lock are just part of the history lesson. FYI Webers don't mind high alts! Jerry Cruiser had a great shakedown run and he now has a large list of what to do's. The next time you see it it will have morphed a huge amount! Found out on Yankee hill his vapor lock issue probably isn't vapor lock as it ONLY happens on the rear fuel tank! I took quite a bit of pics and will upload them to the gallery very soon. Also got a couple caption quests than should be good. THANK YOU MARTIN for the run!

CardinalFJ60
09-17-2007, 06:16 AM
That was a fun day! fun run, good scenery, a little Marmot sighting and lots of cool 40's! Thanks for putting this together Martin.

Rough ride...yeah, makes me kinda :rolleyes: dislike the ranchos the PO put on there. OH well, loads of fun anyway.

I had a co-pilot from work and both of us brought our cameras. I've got lots of pics and I'm sure he does, too. I get some posted later today.

Did you guys get that nasty weather on Yankee Hill? As Corsair said, it hailed a little on the way down fall river road when we split off. We were wondering what it was like up there.

Thanks again! great to see everyone again!

:thumb::cheers:

subzali
09-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks Martin for setting it up and carrying it to success! And thanks everyone who showed up, it was great wheeling with some 40s that aren't typically seen on the trail :thumb:

We got hailed on in Alice while we were looking for Yankee Hill (took us a while but we found it) but then the clouds rolled by and it was pretty nice. Uncle Ben, as you can see I made it back okay :) but I went down that hill by the mine and it turns out the spur I took loops back around to the upper parking lot. Another spur dropped off and appeared to go into the valley but I didn't follow it. Oh and I found that I stayed on the trail on the bypass to the steep hill to the upper parking lot, even though there was 2 1/2 feet of snow and I couldn't see the trail! And I found that it might have been the big ditch in the middle of the trail that was making it difficult for me to drag my buddy's Scout up that last hill to the upper parking lot :rolleyes:, but :D

All in all a great day! But the hardtop is going back on soon if I head to the high country.

JadeRunner
09-17-2007, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=subzali;46331]

Oh and I found that I stayed on the trail on the bypass to the steep hill to the upper parking lot, even though there was 2 1/2 feet of snow and I couldn't see the trail! And I found that it might have been the big ditch in the middle of the trail that was making it difficult for me to drag my buddy's Scout up that last hill to the upper parking lot :rolleyes:, but :D
QUOTE]

2 1\2 feet of new snow or an old drift?

MDH33
09-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks again everyone for making the inaugural 40's Only Run a great day. The rigs we had in attendance:

Subzali, Corsair23, CardinalFJ60, Wesintl, Jerry and Uncle Ben, Rzeppa, Shorty and myself.

(plus a 4runner and a yeep that tagged along. some kind of miscommunication about the name of the run) :D

We headed up Kingston Peak from Tolland and had some drizzle, some sun, some wind, some rain, some more sun, and only a couple of mechanical/electrical issues that didn't slow us down much. Not bad for a bunch or 30 year old rigs. We passed a small group of FJ Cruisers coming down the trail and it was pretty cool to see them gawking and pointing at a line of old 40's motoring up the trail. :thumb:

When we got down into Alice, some of the group headed back to civilization and a few of us made a loop out of the trail by running Yankee hill back towards Central City. I had never run this trail before so it was fun to see some new territory. There's a lot of trails back there and I'm planning to go back and explore some more.

I took some pics but I didn't realize my lens had a big smudgey fingerprint on it and they all look horrible. So hopefully someone posts up some better pics soon! :o

:cheers:

Some smudged photos:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196785943-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196786295-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196786391-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196786664-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196787440-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196788425-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196788586-M.jpg

Lets do this again next year! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Not sure why but I cant get any pics to link to the gallery....what I have uploaded so far is here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=918&cat=526)

CardinalFJ60
09-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Here's a link to Jeff's pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jefftakespictures/sets/72157602049370181/

enjoy..

treerootCO
09-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Looks like everyone had fun. I really wanted to make this run but I would hate to bring everyone down so I stayed out.

wesintl
09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank You again Martin for making this a reality. It was nice to see some old iron back out on the trails. I'll try and post some pics as Sophie allows..

Hulk
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Looks like a cool run. I thought about you guys all day, wishing I was there. I'm looking through pics now. There are a bunch of 40s that I don't recognize. I'm also amazed at the number with hard tops.

Rezarf
09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow, what a fun time.

I am trying to figure if it was really a rough ride, or if you guys are just used to wheelin' 80's now ;) :D

I thought about you guys and lifted up a prayer for safety when I saw the weather move in over the mountains yesterday afternoon.

Keep the pics coming!

Drew

subzali
09-17-2007, 10:26 AM
:confused: What happened to this guy?
http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47429&g2_serialNumber=2

subzali
09-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I think some of the 80 guys are getting soft in their old age ;)

corsair23
09-17-2007, 10:50 AM

HEY, I think I resemble that remark :hill:

MDH33
09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks like everyone had fun. I really wanted to make this run but I would hate to bring everyone down so I stayed out.

We were hoping to see you there Mike, even waited extra long at the meeting place. I think you would have had a great time, everyone was grinning from ear to ear :D and it was just a fun day. Everyone could use one of those once in a awhile. Hope to see you on the trail soon dude. :thumb:

MDH33
09-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Not sure why but I cant get any pics to link to the gallery....what I have uploaded so far is here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=918&cat=526)

Here's a link to Jeff's pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jefftakespictures/sets/72157602049370181/

enjoy..

Awesome pics!! Thanks.

corsair23
09-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Awesome pics!! Thanks.

x2

First run in my 40 and I can't find the dang camera :rant:

Uncle Ben
09-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Maybe so but Jerry's new to him 40 has RS 5000's plus he only aired down to 22#.....my internals may never be the same. I'm not whining as I had a blast on this trip down memory lane but I have no doubt....leaf springs SUCK! :rant::zilla: :bowdown: :kevin:

CardinalFJ60
09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
This is martin at the top...I hope it's not too small...I have loads of biiiiig pics. I'll burn a CD or several and try to remember to bring them to the next meeting.

Uncle Ben
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
This is martin at the top...I hope it's not too small...I have loads of biiiiig pics. I'll burn a CD or several and try to remember to bring them to the next meeting.

Wow! That looks just like the one I took! :hill:

Uncle Ben
09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
:confused: What happened to this guy?
http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47429&g2_serialNumber=2

I heard he got rid of all his Cruisers and now is into Daihatsu's.... :p: :flipoff: :lmao: :flamingo: :hill:

Uncle Ben
09-17-2007, 12:54 PM
...also wonder what happened to Ingred? :confused: Guess it is just "Bad Arse BOYS who drive Bad Arse Toys!" :eek::lmao: :bolt:

wesintl
09-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I heard he got rid of all his Cruisers and now is into Daihatsu's.... :p: :flipoff: :lmao: :flamingo: :hill:

I love my Daihatsu... People still question the toyota badges. :hill:

At least he is staying Japanese.:lmao: and toyota did own some of them or partnered with them for a while.

Uncle Ben
09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
By the way.....anyone happen to look west this morning? The entire divide above us (at least above Boulder) got a healthy dusting last night! It's a comin' folks!

SteveH
09-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I was all set to join you but my nephew (just back from Iraq) and his family visited for lunch and I wanted not to miss out on a fairly rare family gathering. Great pictures - please schedule another 40-series run next year!

JadeRunner
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
It is really cool seeing all those 40's on the trail. You guys should do at least two annual runs per year, just set it up and let em come. That's funny seeing 2 non 40 rigs pull up the rear. Even saw them on C..4x4.org with another group that passed you. More will join in the future just to be with all those classic Land Cruiser's. But you guys need some more challenge next time. I've seen those things do some serious wheelin in near stock form in conjunction with driver skill. Looks like a lot of fun.

subzali
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
My 40 has scared and surprised me with what it can do on 31s with a rear locker. Spring Creek, Poughkeepsie, all the steeps on Fins and Things, Chinaman's, Hells Revenge...but it was fun because some of these back roads get missed for harder stuff sometimes - plus it was fun seeing Wes' '64 rolling along :D

MDH33
09-18-2007, 07:09 AM
It is really cool seeing all those 40's on the trail. You guys should do at least two annual runs per year, just set it up and let em come. That's funny seeing 2 non 40 rigs pull up the rear. Even saw them on C..4x4.org with another group that passed you. More will join in the future just to be with all those classic Land Cruiser's. But you guys need some more challenge next time. I've seen those things do some serious wheelin in near stock form in conjunction with driver skill. Looks like a lot of fun.

My 40 has scared and surprised me with what it can do on 31s with a rear locker. Spring Creek, Poughkeepsie, all the steeps on Fins and Things, Chinaman's, Hells Revenge...but it was fun because some of these back roads get missed for harder stuff sometimes - plus it was fun seeing Wes' '64 rolling along :D

Not to worry, the second annual 40's Only Run will be bigger, better and more challenging. And I'm sure Wes piloting his '64 won't have any trouble since he can probably outwheel all of us. :thumb:

I'm still confused about the runner and yeep that showed up. :confused: :D :lmao:

subzali
09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah, they split off and did Yankee Hill by themselves even though we were not too far behind them? :confused:

Rzeppa
09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Awesome run, thank you so much Martin for setting it up and leading!

It was cool at Rollinsville seeing so many 40s in one spot:

Rzeppa
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
The weather was spectacular, and we even got to see a marmot!

Rzeppa
09-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't care that it wasn't particularly challenging from a technical standpoint. In fact, it was really nice to not worry about breakage and lines, and instead enjoy the scenery!

Rzeppa
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
There was a cairn just past the top with a mailbox that said to enjoy the view from the rock house at Loch Lomond Overlook.

Rzeppa
09-18-2007, 09:51 PM
This was the only hill of note. Jerry had some issues with his new-to-him V8J40, but made it up under his own power. I am sure his passenger (Kevin Ehrlick) gave him some pointers on how to get it set up better. At the top, we enjoyed lunch, the view and great FJ40 camaradarie!

MDH33
09-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for tail gunning and for posting the pics, Jeff!

I agree, it's nice to do runs occasionally for the scenery too. :thumb:

FJBen
09-19-2007, 09:42 AM
awesome pics...I can't wait to show up next year...i'm finally getting mine running good. :)

JadeRunner
09-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Man those Fj40's look like a lot of fun. Nice rig\avatar FJBen.

The kingston peak sign picture is pretty sad to see. All the other pictures are sweet.

Evrgrnmtnman
09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Somebody should start an "Other than 40's Run"!

Uncle Ben
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Somebody should start an "Other than 40's Run"!

Have you read any of our other trail reports? :rolleyes::lmao::lmao::lmao::hill:

Evrgrnmtnman
09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Have you read any of our other trail reports? :rolleyes::lmao::lmao::lmao::hill:
Ran a search on the Trail Reports, didn't see that topic...you have link?

Uncle Ben
09-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Ran a search on the Trail Reports, didn't see that topic...you have link? Very few if any 40's have been on most of the latest runs.....thats why the 40's only run as it forces the old beasts out of retirement! Set up a Runner run!

nuclearlemon
09-21-2007, 07:15 PM
...also wonder what happened to Ingred? :confused: Guess it is just "Bad Arse BOYS who drive Bad Arse Toys!" :eek::lmao: :bolt:

i decided to spend the day watching tv, drinking heavily, napping and repeating. looks like it was a good run.