PDA

View Full Version : Body Tub rust removal

gr8fulabe
09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone,

If you were looking to have a rust removal done to an entire FJ40 tub, would you get it media blasted, or dipped (what type of dip).

also, Where would you go for a service like this & what could I expect to pay to have it done?

I don't have the resources to do this sort of thing myself, and I don't really want to rent a sandblaster & then have 6000 pounds of sand all over my house afterward either...

Thanks for the advice!

Best,
Abe

treerootCO
09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
A1 metalstripping golden CO. $500 for either

I would probably not dip it, just have them sandblast it.

gr8fulabe
09-18-2007, 11:14 PM
WOW! I expected more discussion on this topic.

Thanks for the advice Root. As soon as I have the cash together I will bring the tub over there. What is the next step then, any advice? I see myself bringing home a clean, stripped tub that needs welding repairs,etc... and immediately gets surface rust on everything. Do I just ignore that & do the repairs, and then sand it down again before painting, or what?

Also, are there any welders out there that want to earn some money? Either I would be willing to pay someone to weld in the patches/repairs that are needed to this tub, or I would pay someone to teach me how to do it (I have a cheap 100v welder set up for gas that still needs a bottle, but is supposedly great for sheet metal). I have never used my welder since I got it, since I don't yet know how to weld.

I would be open to either option if someone is interested?

Thanks,
Abe

Shark Bait
09-18-2007, 11:16 PM
If you are on the south side, Blast Tech in Englewood does this, too. Media/sand blast.