PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement for an 80 series

Nemo
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Anyone had theirs replaced recently and / or can make a recommendation. I would be grateful. I was just trying to avoid the common mistake of having a company do it right due to the sealing issues noted on the mud forum. Also trying to avoid being the nerd of explaining to them how to do it right :beer:

timmbuck2
09-18-2007, 09:24 AM
x2...the crack in my windshield has gotten bigger...should replace soon...

T

Anyone had theirs replaced recently and / or can make a recommendation. I would be grateful. I was just trying to avoid the common mistake of having a company do it right due to the sealing issues noted on the mud forum. Also trying to avoid being the nerd of explaining to them how to do it right :beer:

Bighead
09-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Good timing...I need a recommendation for the 100-series windshield.

sno bored
09-18-2007, 09:51 AM

I would rather be a nerd with a windsheild installed right, than a cool guy with a leaky windsheild. Do what others have done, print up the page from the FSM and give it to them. Explain how many installers do it wrong the first time and have to go back and fix it.

Romer
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Need to make sure whoever does it knows to use adhesdive on the seal. Lots of stories of shops who didn't and the window ended up leaking.

I dropped mine off at Olegs and he had someone come into his shop and do it. Might call and ask him.

Inukshuk
09-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I had mine done in December 2006 by Preferred Auto Glass. (303) 986-3200. They came to my home/office. I was referred to them by Greg at the Toy Shop. Greg told me to ask for Marshall who does the work for Greg. Mine was covered by State Farm (I can get a free replacement every year!). Cost was:
Toyota Glass - $252
Labor - $100
Primer - $20 (he touches up any place scratched where the old rubber was sticky)
New gasket - $58
Total: $445

The new one has the tinted green strip on top. He will ask for the color scheme.

I'm happy with mine.

SteveH
09-20-2007, 08:22 AM
I paid around $200 last time, and when I recently called a shop in the Springs, the '95 qualified for the $149 glass special. They quoted me $58 for a windshield gasket, and 'my cost' at Liberty Toyota for the gasket was closer to $30. The shop said 'we don't care if you bring in your own new gasket'. You could save $30 and ensure that you get a genuine Toyota gasket.

So, if you don't mind a non-Toyota windshield and can find a shop that doesn't have heartburn over you supplying a genuine Toyota part (instead of their gasket), you might try this.

Steve