PDA

View Full Version : October Old Chinaman Gulch Run?

Nay
09-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I need to get my annual OCG fix and test out my new 5.29's on a familiar and favorite trail. I know there's some talk on the Chafee Co thread, and I want to see if we can get a run going. Last weekend of the month is not good for me, but that's it as of right now.

If there's interest, would love to get this formalized. I need to get out :hill:

Nay

AxleIke
09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Depending on the weekend, I'd love to do this trail again. Got Elk tags for the weekend of the 13th, so that is out. Hopefully we can do it another weekend.

LandBruiser
09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Im IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

JadeRunner
09-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I'll be running it early fri. am 9/28. Camping nearby thurs. night. I just assume no one is interested. I'm then hitting Grizzly Lake on the way to a backpacking\fishing trip in the Sangre de Christo mtns. with my huntin' buds. It's only 4 miles in. Hope my leg holds up.

Nay
09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Depending on the weekend, I'd love to do this trail again. Got Elk tags for the weekend of the 13th, so that is out. Hopefully we can do it another weekend.

I am thinking Saturday the 6th or 20th right now...:thumb:

ScaldedDog
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I'd be up for it, depending on the weekend.

Mark

AxleIke
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Lets do it the 6th!

LandBruiser
09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Lets do it the 6th!

X2! The 20th is out for me

Nay
09-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Let's set it for Saturday October 6th, I'm confirmed :thumb:

How about Johnson Truck Stop at 9:30 leaving for the trailhead at 10:00 am?

We'll get a headcount next week :cheers:

LandBruiser
09-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Bring it on!!! I am ready for this one. Spring Creek was fun today, but slow due to bad spotting:(....I wont mention names. I came out great tho.

AxleIke
09-29-2007, 09:22 PM
And, I'm out.

Killed a tire early on today's run, and the replacement won't be here for 10 days. Nice to have such a rare size.

Have fun gang! If by some weird turn of events i can make it, I'll let you know.

ScaldedDog
09-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Bring it on!!! I am ready for this one. Spring Creek was fun today, but slow due to bad spotting:(....I wont mention names. I came out great tho.

Good to meet you today. How long were you guys in the garden? Thnks for letting us by - I'd about had it waiting... :D

I may make next week, but I've got a leaky t-case output seal that may get fixed, instead...

Mark

Romer
09-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Hmmmm Chinamans

I like that trail. need to check the calendar. Know we are booked Sunday.

wonder if I can pursuade an old bald guy from New Mexico to come up?

Hmmmm

LandBruiser
10-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Good to meet you today. How long were you guys in the garden? Thnks for letting us by - I'd about had it waiting... :D

Mark

Not long, I went right thru after you. We finally got Troy to quit spotting:D I just ignored him.
I went so fast no one caught any pics:bolt:

Hope you can make it on sat!

Nay
10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Let's get some confirmations for Saturday :thumb:

9:30 am Johnson City Truckstop, trailhead @ about 10:00

Who's in?

ScaldedDog
10-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Me.

LandBruiser
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
:headbang:

Yup!

JadeRunner
10-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I ran OCG Friday. As usual it's a little different this year with all the traffic and erosion. A lot of the smaller stuff is more difficult now which is fun. The squeeze was busted out wider and easier. The optional rock pile was eroded away and thus is a "larger" obstacle". I couldn't get over it and didn't feel like stacking a bunch of rocks. Whale rock was also a "larger" obstacle due to erosion. I had to stick to the standard middle line instead of the diagonal line I had been taking. I got hung up real bad on a tough patch after whale rock and had to high lift out and subsequently had the high lift slip out in the soft sand and leave a sizable battle wound in my rear door. Door still opens though. I took the new diagonal line Oleg showed be on the double slab and cleaned it like a rock star - I have video. The sleeper obstacle is was pretty easy due to previous rock stackers. Have fun.

Hulk
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Guess you're healed up! Feel free to bring video to the meeting tonight. We'll have the projector. :D

JadeRunner
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
My video piece is real short, not worth the setup. Are you using the LCD for other reasons? If so I'll bring it.

Nay
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I ran OCG Friday. As usual it's a little different this year with all the traffic and erosion. A lot of the smaller stuff is more difficult now which is fun. The squeeze was busted out wider and easier. The optional rock pile was eroded away and thus is a "larger" obstacle". I couldn't get over it and didn't feel like stacking a bunch of rocks. Whale rock was also a "larger" obstacle due to erosion. I had to stick to the standard middle line instead of the diagonal line I had been taking. I got hung up real bad on a tough patch after whale rock and had to high lift out and subsequently had the high lift slip out in the soft sand and leave a sizable battle wound in my rear door. Door still opens though. I took the new diagonal line Oleg showed be on the double slab and cleaned it like a rock star - I have video. The sleeper obstacle is was pretty easy due to previous rock stackers. Have fun.

Thanks for the update, Scott. Seems like before too long the "in between obstacles" stuff is going to be a true series of rock gardens. Sweet :thumb:

Hulk
10-03-2007, 06:09 PM
My video piece is real short, not worth the setup. Are you using the LCD for other reasons? If so I'll bring it.

Yes, we have another short video to show from a recent trip.

ScaldedDog
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Where is everybody? Only three! Come on guys, let's go wheelin'!!! :D

Mark

Romer
10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Sorry, long week at work and I am wiped. Be nice to sleep in.

AxleIke
10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
You have no idea how much i want to do this run. but no spare = no go for me. I am really bummed I'm missing this.

bskey
10-05-2007, 09:43 AM
I'd love to come too, but the trucks not ready yet for this, and I need Saturday to work on her.... Soon.... very soon! Please post lots of pics though afterwards!

Bighead
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Can't make it due to previous plans with the wife. Someday I'll actually make one of these runs.

Nay
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Where is everybody? Only three! Come on guys, let's go wheelin'!!! :D

Mark

On further bad news...I have to drop out as a huge deal just hit at work that I have to support :mad:

Any chance of moving this trip to the 20th? Or maybe first week in Nov if the 20th isn't good? I'd like to get a good sized group out as OCG is such a great all day trail.

bskey
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
What's the difficulty level of OCG?

Hulk
10-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Moderately difficult. Probably similar to Spring Creek.

Red_Chili
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Easier than Spring Creek IMHO. Some optional obstacles are as difficult.

Nay
10-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Easier than Spring Creek IMHO. Some optional obstacles are as difficult.

It's a more bruising trail than Spring Creek given it's length and relatively non-stop nature, but there's nothing as difficult as taking the rock garden on Spring Creek unless you do the optional stuff. That's why it's a great trail - never less than moderate, but can be as difficult as you want it to be.

AxleIke
10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
First week in Nov, and I'm there>>>Or last weekend in OCT

Bighead
10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Alright...don't have a heart attack Isaac but those dates work for me too as long as we are talking the weekends. :o They fit nicely between the classes I have to teach.

bskey
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I may be set up to run some trails by then too.... I'll keep an eye on the thread.

AxleIke
10-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Bsky, if you do not take the optional lines, you could do this trail now.

My dad did this in a 97 4runner this june with 2 in lift, and 32's. Open open. We had to help him a bit, but got it done. You just have to be a bit carefull past the whale rock obstacle.

AxleIke
10-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Alright...don't have a heart attack Isaac but those dates work for me too as long as we are talking the weekends. :o They fit nicely between the classes I have to teach.

we are talking weekends. If RS doesn't go, then you and I will for sure!

BogusBlake
10-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I sure would like to tag along on this one if you guys don't mind.

I'll be driving my Taco. It's not built big, but I'm a pretty good driver. If we get to something I can't make, Ill just turn around so I don't hold up the group.

Where's this truckstop we're meeting at?

Nay
10-05-2007, 08:45 PM

1st week in Nov looks pretty good for me, last week in Oct. I can't do. I don't want to undo this weekend's run by suggesting alternate dates since it was my idea and now I can't go, so hopefully you guys will get out this weekend, too.

LandBruiser
10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I sure would like to tag along on this one if you guys don't mind.

I'll be driving my Taco. It's not built big, but I'm a pretty good driver. If we get to something I can't make, Ill just turn around so I don't hold up the group.

Where's this truckstop we're meeting at?

The truckstop is just past a bridge as you come into Johnson Village. I am assuming you are coming via 285 from Denver. If you are late the road to OCG is just before the bridge on the left. You go about a 1/2 3/4? mi then the entrance is on your left.

So is it just Mark, you and I?

bskey
10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I have on the way a 3inch lift, rear Detroit locker, 4.88's, '95 brakes w/ s.s. lines and new exhaust. The truck needed a suspension and exhaust when I bought it, so I figured I might as well do it right. With all that I should be great to run the trail, but right now it needs the front knuckles to be rebuilt, so this weekend I'll be out. I should be good to go by the end of the month.

ScaldedDog
10-05-2007, 11:25 PM
The truckstop is just past a bridge as you come into Johnson Village. I am assuming you are coming via 285 from Denver. If you are late the road to OCG is just before the bridge on the left. You go about a 1/2 3/4? mi then the entrance is on your left.

So is it just Mark, you and I?

It looks like it. A buddy of mine and I are staying in BV tonight. We're up for meeting at 9:30 and rolling.

Mark

JadeRunner
10-05-2007, 11:50 PM
You guys should have multiple small runs if needed. It's such a fun run.

Bsky, if you do not take the optional lines, you could do this trail now.

My dad did this in a 97 4runner this june with 2 in lift, and 32's. Open open. We had to help him a bit, but got it done. You just have to be a bit carefull past the whale rock obstacle.

I agree, I suppose it could be a medium if you took all the by-passes.

Here's where I got hung up real bad after whale rock. My gas tank skid hung down a little and would hang me up. Had to high lift off. 2nd pic is the last obstacle.

BogusBlake
10-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, I was at the truckstop from 9:15 to 10, then at the trailhead from 10 to 10:45. I guess Mark and I must have missed each other or something.

Luckily some other RS member (Greg I think) with a nice 80 series came along as I was waiting at the trailhead. I'd driven down there to wheel and was about to do the trail by myself so Greg ran it with me.

What a fun trail! I really like that technical, bouldery kind of trail. I'd say that's about the upper edge of what you ought to take a stock Taco through. I made almost everything just fine with careful tire placement. Greg and I ended up running the loop Clockwise and ran into Mark and friend at that V-notch type obstacle. I went down just fine, barely even touched the skid. Greg didn't think he could make the turn without tipping, so I turned around and tried to come back up. I made it after a few tries, but it cost me a driver's taillight! No big deal, it's just plastic.

Ill definitely run this trail again, and hopefully get to actually meet some more people from the club next time.:beer:

nuclearlemon
10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
thought of you guys as i was whipping past the gunsmoke...

LandBruiser
10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Yea I feel like a lame a$$ bum for not making it today. Didn't wake up till 8 and didn't want to have people waiting around for an extra hr just for me.

Jacket
10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
:bump:

Anyone still thinking about the Chinaman? Maybe the 10th or 11th?

Man Jerk
11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
There is a HUGE group over on Colorado4x4.org planning a run through there on the 10th. Like 20-30 vehicles. Just a heads up.

bskey
11-01-2007, 09:01 AM
How about a run on a different weekend?

Nay
11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I still want to run OCG this year. This weekend is out for me, and I have company in the weekend of the 17th, but possibly either a) next Sunday the 11th or b) next Saturday but leaving early to beat the horde. That probably means Sunday :D

I'd be open to the last weekend of November as well. OCG can be run year round as long as you aren't following the steps of a storm too closely.

Jacket
11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I could probably do either day (10 or 11), but that's it for me for the rest of the month. I'm pretty flexible on start time, and have never run that trail so I'd like to go with someone who has....

bskey
11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Last weekend in Nov would be best for me.

JadeRunner
11-07-2007, 09:15 AM
I havn't posted yet, but I'm planning to lead a run up chinamans the day after thanksgiving. Or Yankee Hill if we get fresh snow.

Nay
11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm out for this weekend. Last weekend of the month is looking good. Day after Turkey would be good, but inlaws are in town. Maybe I should pack them in with the four kids and scare the sh$t out of them :D

bskey
11-07-2007, 09:30 PM
What's the difficulty of OCG?

BogusBlake
11-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Not too bad. If your truck is low, just place your tires carefully.

AxleIke
11-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah, its not TOO bad, you may need a strap in a few places. Lockers are good, but not necessary.

JadeRunner
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm out for this weekend. Last weekend of the month is looking good. Day after Turkey would be good, but inlaws are in town. Maybe I should pack them in with the four kids and scare the sh$t out of them :D

Go for it. They would a unique experience for sure.

JadeRunner
11-08-2007, 11:02 AM
What's the difficulty of OCG?

I would call it a difficult. It's a real beater. If not armored real well you will get beat up. For some that's not an issue though.

bskey
11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah, its not TOO bad, you may need a strap in a few places. Lockers are good, but not necessary.

I have sliders, and a rear locker... but it's on the floor of my garage. :hill:

Red_Chili
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
If Ige is going, she can install it for you on the trail, in the dark, in the snow. :lmao:

AxleIke
11-09-2007, 10:42 AM
If Ige is going, she can install it for you on the trail, in the dark, in the snow. :lmao:

x2.

Bskey, up to you, but i'd say go for it. You couldn't find a better group to go with.

bskey
11-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah... heck, if installing a locker is that easy..... (if anyone wants to make a day project out of it, I would happily be your tool boy)

So are we talking the weekend of 11/24 or 12/1?