PDA

View Full Version : South Side Doctors - any recommendations

Romer
09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
My Dr. moved a couple of years ago and I haven't picked a new one. I really liked him because he was punctual and I never waited like I have for every other Dr I had.

Anyone have a good recommendation on the south side?

Shark Bait
09-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Tim Poate at Swedish. 303-788-1620. I really like him. My dad, who was a highly respected Rheumatologist at Swedish for years and just retired a couple of years ago, thinks Tim is one of the best. His punctuality has improved in the last year, too. :D

gr8fulabe
09-19-2007, 12:08 AM
We really like Dr. Levinson (Ian I think) for our general Practicioner. He is an internist technically, but he is really cool & a great guy to work with.

Speaking of Rheumatologists, SharkBait, would you ask your dad what he thinks of Dr. Eric Westerman? Hi is my Doctor (at Swedish Med.) for Psoriatic Arthritis & I really like him (he is really cool & doesn't treat me like an idiot). But I would love to hear what an actual trained proffesional thinks of him. Thanks in advance!

Best,
Abe

Shark Bait
09-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Abe, Eric was one of my dad's partners, so I know he thinks very highly of him. :)

gr8fulabe
09-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Abe, Eric was one of my dad's partners, so I know he thinks very highly of him. :)

Sweet! I appreciate the knowledge. I have really enjoy Dr. Westerman.

I was a division 1A athelete in College & then started having problems with my kneeds & neck. Over 10 years later, nobody knew what was wrong with me & it had progressed to a bunch of other joints. Eventually I was diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis (never had any signs of Psoriasis, so nobody ever thought about it).
Lots of Dr.'s have said I should have my thumb fused & shouldn't run, do all of the stuff I like (Ski/snowboard, climb, mtb bike, kayak, run, etc...)

Dr. Westerman says that as long as I can still enjoy the sports I like, then fusing & such is a giant mistake (wouldn't be able to rock climb like that). It's like he knows that the point of controlling my disease is to enjoy my life. If I can't do anything I like after the treatments are done, what is the point?

So, as if people can't tell, I realy like Dr. Westerman. If anyone finds themselves in need of a Rheumatologist, consider him first. I even go there despite living in Boulder Canyon & working in Boulder!

Best,
Abe

Red_Chili
09-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I really like Rob Sims at Swedish SW Healthpark, Family Care Southwest Assoc. I liked the old doc there, but when he retired Rob became my doc. I was spending over $100 on cholesterol meds a month, and asked Rob to review them. He did, he educated me on all the options, reviewed the research on the options with me, suggested a less expensive and equally effective alternative, and I went down to $10/month. He had to add another back, so I'm up to $20.

Partnering to reduce health care costs while not compromising effectiveness? Not exactly priceless, but close!

Romer
09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
We really like Dr. Levinson (Ian I think) for our general Practicioner. He is an internist technically, but he is really cool & a great guy to work with.

Best,
Abe

Is this Dr. Ian levenson on 8200 E. Belleview? Thats pretty close to where I live and the same building my old Dr was.

He is listed as an D.O. Doctor vs M.D.

DOs use what is called osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT). OMT is a technique in which the DOs use their hands to diagnose injury and illness, giving special attention to the joints, bones, muscles, and nerves. Manipulations improve circulation, which in turn, creates a normal nerve and blood supply, enabling the body to heal itself.

What is your perspective on this approach as a patient?

Can you tell me a bit more on why you like him?

I am evaluating between him and another Dr. not so close to my house that was recommended by someone at work.

Haven't been feeling that great and need to go get checked out.

Thanks,

gr8fulabe
09-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi Romer,

That sounds like the right address (over there in/near the tech center, a bit south of 225). A quick quote from my wife, "He can do everything that a regular doctor does but he spends a little more time with you and your body (doing adjustments and such) - a little more in-tune (I think) to how the body should work and how things like an out of line neck might cause headaches – instead of just giving you a prescription for pain reliever."

I am more long winded. Personally, I always pretty much lumped the DO concept in with, "We can heal you using crystals & love" sort of quacks. But Dr. Westerman (mentioned above) is also a DO, by coincidence, and they have been the best two doctors I have had.

They do use normal medical practices as well. For instance when I dislocated a finger on longs peak & they thought there might be torn ligaments Levinson had both X-rays & an MRI done. But when my wife tore a disc in her back (something that doesn't actually, "heal") we learned that he is also a licensed chiropractor. So as a part of her treatment, he gave her a prescription for pain meds, but also did several, "alignments" for her to help control the pain that way, while she was learning some exercises & strengthening her back so that the muscles kept it aligned right so that the pain went away even though the tear is still there. Again, i have always thought, "Chiropractor/schmiropractor, everyone loves a good massage!" But I could see the difference he made in her pain levels, just between when we were going in & when we were leaving the dr.'s office.
Usually a person decides to become a D.O. because they want to focus on the person & not just the patient. So they usually do spend more time with each patient & do a bit more diagnostic type things & listening before they start moving on to the next guy.

Chris
09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
My doc's a D.O. too and leans toward finding the cause rather than just treating the symptom. Rather refreshing IMHO.

bh4rnnr
09-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I go to Dr.Burkett. Been goin there since I was little. Her son is one of my best friends.

Romer
09-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I go to Dr.Burkett. Been goin there since I was little. Her son is one of my best friends.

Perry as high a recommendation as that might be, I think I will go with Dr. Levenson. he sounds good, I talked to his office and he is close.

Thanks all for your inputs

BPMOU
09-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Ken,

If things don't work out Dr. Kevin Molk at Parker Hospital (in the professional building) is outstanding. I'm younger than a lot of you but I switched to him and had a check up and he does the whole 9 and is really in-depth, and not because he gets more from the insurance co.

Romer
10-12-2007, 07:40 PM
We really like Dr. Levenson (Ian I think) for our general Practicioner. He is an internist technically, but he is really cool & a great guy to work with.

This was a great recommendation. Most thurough physical I had and he spent time going over the results with me and what it meant.

First I went in and gave blood, did a breathing test, turned and coughed and the main exam. Spent a lot of time with me. He recommended due to my family history I go to Rose and get a Calcium Score Cat scan which measures the plaque in your artories around the heart. So I did that.

Came back today to his office and did an arterial ultrasound (Ultrasound your neck arteries) to check for plaque and then did a treadmill stress test.

After that he comes in and goes over all the results. The CT Score shows a small amount of plaque starting to build in my left artery of my heart. he says it wouldn't become a problem for about 10 years and wouldn't have even known about it without the scan until it becomes a problem.

Apparently my Cholesterol has jumped significantly since my last blood work up (Had the report) and he says this is causing the plaque build up. Told me if I get that down at this early stage the plaque build up would likely go away. Have to go back in two months to make sure I am getting it down or he will prescribe something.

So, his through physical prevented a heart attack in about 10 years by identifying a developing problem and giving me time to nip it in the bud.

Sorry for the detail just wanted to show how thorough he was

I like this Doctor, thanks for the recommendation:thumb: