PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 '77-'83 Wanted to Buy

cosper
09-18-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm new to Rising Sun - looks like a great site.

I'm looking for a '77-'83 fj40. I don't need a show car - just something reasonably priced, mostly stock and reliable enough to get me to and from my hunting and fishing spots. Interior should be in pretty good shape and I'd hope everything works (gauges, wipers, heaters, lights, etc). Power steering and A/C would be okay. I'm in Fagstaff Arizona, so it would be nice to find something close to here.

If anyone has any leads you could share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave

Hulk
09-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the forum! Keep a close eye on the Craigslist thread -- there are usually new posts there about 40s for sale on a weekly basis. Occasionally you'll catch someone here selling their 40, but this is infrequent.

kvanoort
09-19-2007, 09:36 AM
There is a Beige FJ40 with a For Sale sign on the windshield just East of Louisville. It is located on the North side of Hwy 42 (Empire Rd), between S 96th Street and Hwy 287 -- it's just East of the Coal Creek Memorial Cemetery. I think it's a 1977. I talked with the owner about it over a year ago because it was just sitting in his driveway and it never seemed to move. He mentioned that he had rebuilt the head and that all the rust had been repaired with metal. He also mentioned that he only used it to hunt Prairie Dogs on his property. If you mention that you were referred by a Volvo clud friend of Tom Stoffel, he might give you a break on the purchase price. IIRC, the owners name is Jerry and he is a retiree from the Jolly Rancher Candy Company.

This may not be helpful to you Cosper since you're looking for something in AZ but you never know.

Here's a Google maps link of where the vehicle is located: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=louisville,+co&ie=UTF8&ll=39.972927,-105.10397&spn=0.04407,0.056133&t=h&z=14&om=1

I'll get the phone number on the way home from work and post it tonight.

MDH33
09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm new to Rising Sun - looks like a great site.

I'm looking for a '77-'83 fj40. I don't need a show car - just something reasonably priced, mostly stock and reliable enough to get me to and from my hunting and fishing spots. Interior should be in pretty good shape and I'd hope everything works (gauges, wipers, heaters, lights, etc). Power steering and A/C would be okay. I'm in Fagstaff Arizona, so it would be nice to find something close to here.

If anyone has any leads you could share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave

What do you consider a reasonable price?? Are you looking for a stock drivetrain or is a V8 conversion ok?? How much rust are you willing to live with?? My thought is that you will probably find better FJ40's down where you are in AZ, compared to up here. And as everyone has already mentioned, Craigslist is a much better place to look than Ebay, and you can search listings here, in AZ, in CA, etc...

Maddmatt
09-19-2007, 01:30 PM
There is a Beige FJ40 with a For Sale sign on the windshield just East of Louisville. It is located on the North side of Hwy 42 (Empire Rd), between S 96th Street and Hwy 287 -- it's just East of the Coal Creek Memorial Cemetery. I think it's a 1977. I talked with the owner about it over a year ago because it was just sitting in his driveway and it never seemed to move. He mentioned that he had rebuilt the head and that all the rust had been repaired with metal. He also mentioned that he only used it to hunt Prairie Dogs on his property. If you mention that you were referred by a Volvo clud friend of Tom Stoffel, he might give you a break on the purchase price. IIRC, the owners name is Jerry and he is a retiree from the Jolly Rancher Candy Company.

This may not be helpful to you Cosper since you're looking for something in AZ but you never know.

Here's a Google maps link of where the vehicle is located: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=louisville,+co&ie=UTF8&ll=39.972927,-105.10397&spn=0.04407,0.056133&t=h&z=14&om=1

Hey, I've talked to that guy! Several years ago he had a beautiful 911 parked in the same field so I called him up (I get these ideas sometimes.....)

It was way out of my price range, and I told him that right away, but he had no problem talking to me for an hour. Seemed like a nice guy, and he seemed pretty honest.

But back on topic, 40's are always where you're not. There do seem to be some in the Denver Craigslist these days though.

kvanoort
09-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Gerald Losasso
303-666-6723
10655 Empire Rd, Lafayette, CO

I called Jerry to let him know that I've posted the listing here on Rising Sun and talked with his wife. She said he is asking $10,000.

Evrgrnmtnman
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
This guy has a 73 FJ40 w/ SB 350 that he has been trying to trade me for my rig and some cash, but I don't won't any trades. He's in Salt Lake, name is Gary
garyt@sjifs.com
He's suppose to have pics this evening.......FYI