PDA

View Full Version : Why Toyotas aren't so bad...

SteveH
09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
My nephew bought a '99 Isuzu Rodeo and I did some PM with him the other night and noticed a split CV boot. The truck has 77K and the other outer CV boot had already been replaced.

While a 2nd/3rd gen 4Runner boot kit with *both* boots and grease is about $50, the Rodeo boot kit (from the dealer) is $120 (outer), and $133 for the inside. So, $250 for what Toyota gets no more than $50 for. Also, the repair procedure appears to be really ugly, according to various web postings - to remove the entire shaft, you have to drop the entire front diff and partly disassemble it. Most folks split the inner joint and service the whole thing that way.

I had always considered Isuzu to be '2nd tier' as far as design/execution and the more I see, the less I like. These boots have a history of frequent failure, even in stock models. Add the engine oil burning problems, tranny problems, etc. and these just aren't stacking up as much of a machine.

Of course, my 3 cruisers HAVE NO CV BOOTS! ;-) - but even the 4Runners don't see so bad afterall.