PDA

View Full Version : My camping/expedition style trailer build...

Rezarf
09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Hello-

I know some of you know that I am making this little trailer, I thought I would post a few pics of my work since this club taught me how to weld right here on the forum! :D :eek: :thumb: :cheers:

Rezarf
09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Forgot to add a few pictures...

acon40
09-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Love it man. Ended up scoring a m101. Sick build though....maybe you can halep me build the top cover ;). Anyway, need to stop by one of these days again hahaha...one day when I actually get a free moment after work, I mean the dogs, I mean the house I mean... Anyway, looks sweet.

Rezarf
09-23-2007, 10:39 AM
You should come over today, I am welding up the last few joints on the trailer. I will shoot you my number with a PM... :D

MDH33
09-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Looking great. Are you going to use FJ40 rear quarters for the sides??

JadeRunner
09-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Very nice, but all the slop in the pintle hitch would drive me nuts. I would go with the multi-axis coupler. Your all setup for it.

Rezarf
09-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Scott-

THat is a good call. The only issue is coin. Those hitches are very expensive, but I do feel they are worth it. For now, since I have everything already I am going to try what I have before spending more on something that may not be needed.

I will use a ball on the highway/around town and the pintle for offroad work. You have to remember the clanging will be drowned out by the squeeks of my rig! :D

Martin-

I am going to build the "box" from scratch with light tubing and sheet metal skin.

Thanks for the compliments.

Drew

wesintl
09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
The problem is your hoop for a pintle doesn't rotate. I guess you feel is has a sufficient level of play in rotation when engauged with the pintle.

Rezarf
09-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Wes, we'll see :D

Since I am using a ball/pintel combo, I can get 45 degrees off axis... I will have to see how it acts with the wieght of the trailer on it. If it flops then I will drop the coin on the lockn-roll, but for now the budget (:Princess:) says wait!

Thanks man-

Drew

Rezarf
10-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I thought I would post up a bit of progress.

I have most of the main cargo box framed out. I have it bolted down, and I have the cargo tie down in place as well. Next up is the lid, and tailgate, but I need hinges before I can start that.

Whatta' you think? :confused::D

The full story is on mud...

Boulder Cruiser
10-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Looks Great! Thats going to be sweet when its done! Ive been following it on mud, you got skill :thumb:

Rezarf
10-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Looks Great! Thats going to be sweet when its done! Ive been following it on mud, you got skill :thumb:

Thanks bud, I think I have more luck than skill. I always wanted to learn how to weld so I thought this would make for a good practice session ;)

Boulder Cruiser
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Yea, still working on my welding skills. Dont think i could make anything like that yet but hopefully one day.

wesintl
10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
lookin good Drew. Thanks for the update :D

Rezarf
10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Wes, you better say that :D You and Henry were the one to convince me to build this thing from scratch.

I am having a blast making it.

Boulder Cruiser
10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Drew Where did you get the pintle hitch? I want to put one on my trailer but cant find them anywhere.

Rezarf
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, they are kinda all over. NAPA has them, Ebay has them, but I would track down a farm store of some sort and you will have your pic. Ebay has them used all the time, and that is the cheapest way to score one for sure. Maybe try craigslist too. They are out there, those are a few places to look.

HTH

Drew

corsair23
10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Drew,

I must say my trailer is coming along splendidly :hill: :thumb:

Rezarf
10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jeff! It has been fun if not anything else. I would like to be done with the steel work by Christmas. Then I can start working in a medium I understand... WOOD! :D

I hope to get the drawers and boxes done over the winter, then once it starts to warm up again get it into paint. The problem is by the time I take a saturday on it, I realize what I needed to have on hand and have to wait a few days to get it! :eek:

Propane mounts and fenders are next.

IanB
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Looks good! :thumb:

Rezarf
10-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks Ian, I drove by your house this morning. Man it looks AWESOME!

Drew

Rezarf
12-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey what do you guys think about adding a few side boxes to the sides of my trailer to get about 40% more cargo space?

MDH33
12-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Very unique idea and a good use of the space with the side opening doors. Very cool. Nice sketches too!

Rezarf
12-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Very unique idea

Very cool. Nice sketches too!

Stole the idea, sorry to disappoint...

corsair23
12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Your design looks better :thumb:

You'd lose a little space with the angled ends but it looks so much nicer!!!

RockRunner
12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
I think it is a great idea, saw a construction trailer with 4 truck boxes mounted to the side. Lots of extra room without taking up interior room. The aluminum boxes would be light and if you make them removable they could be dual purpose. Make a separate mount for your hitch and mount one or two on that if you do not want to take the trailer but need more room, just a thought.

Rezarf
03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Getting closer... but so is CM08! :D

I am mostly done with the sheet metal, I only have the floor left and then to fab a tailgate... I am going to build the side boxes next winter and add them at that time, gotta finish before moab with the most of it.

Comming along nicely don't you thinks?:hill:

corsair23
03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
WOWZERS, that is looking awesome :thumb:

I know what you could do for a sideline should you ever want to...Although I'm not sure any of us could afford a Rezarf original :D

CardinalFJ60
03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I saw it in person the other day...I couldn't stop :blah: about it! It's sooooo very nice. The design, fit and look of it is out of this world.

Great Job Drew!!!

-s

subzali
03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
You'd better put fenders over them there wheels...

But what eye-popping excitement! That looks even better than I imagined! Great job! Can your 40 pull it still?

Rezarf
03-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Nope, think HUGE rooster tails! :D

But what eye-popping excitement! That looks even better than I imagined! Great job! Can your 40 pull it still?

Thanks man, I hope the 40 can pull it :thumb:

subzali
03-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm just bringing it up because in the summer I tow my sailboat with my 40 and even at 300-400 lbs. trailer+boat it makes quite a difference in how well I can go up hills! But that's just at highway speeds...

Another thing that came out of that was I don't think my flasher is "strong enough" to cycle the extra taillights - the brake and running lights come on but the turn signals don't work when I have the trailer in tow and hooked up (the turn signals are based off resistance you know in these old 40s). Might be something you'll want to check into before you're committed to towing it a long distance! I imagine it would be handled by an electronic flasher bypassing the OEM flasher unit...

MDH33
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Nope, think HUGE rooster tails! :D

Thanks man, I hope the 40 can pull it :thumb:

Looking amazing! Can't wait to see it in action.

When are you leaving for Cruise Moab this year? You're welcome to join the slow 40 caravan. Should be myself and Leif, and anyone else goin' sloow. :thumb: I'm planning on heading out Wednesday morning.

Rezarf
03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
thanks Martin-

I will hopefully have been there for two days by then:)

Rezarf
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm just bringing it up because in the summer I tow my sailboat with my 40 and even at 300-400 lbs. trailer+boat it makes quite a difference in how well I can go up hills! But that's just at highway speeds...

Another thing that came out of that was I don't think my flasher is "strong enough" to cycle the extra taillights - the brake and running lights come on but the turn signals don't work when I have the trailer in tow and hooked up (the turn signals are based off resistance you know in these old 40s). Might be something you'll want to check into before you're committed to towing it a long distance! I imagine it would be handled by an electronic flasher bypassing the OEM flasher unit...

Thanks Matt-

I have towed a uhaul with my 40 before and it wasn't too bad. It isn't like I fly up the pass anyways :D

You gotta figure I built this thing to allow life to "slow down" a little, camping, relaxing, enjoying the great outdoors, so if it takes me a little longer to get there, it will help me get in the right attitude.

I made peace with 55mph a long time ago on the highway! :D:thumb:

subzali
03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm still in the 65-75 mph mode in my 40 :D I'm sure it won't last long, especially if (when?) I go to bigger tires :thumb:

Rezarf
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I can do 70mph, but I don't like going that fast in the 40. Slow and steady, these things were never made for the highway.

Drew

Beater
03-13-2008, 09:03 PM
you are more than welcome to come by and form some fenders. you can roll them and I can form the edges for you, or show you how... the field expedient method would be just to roll them out and tack them to some supports...

hows your geometry for finding the length of a curved edge?

my roller will do any gauge you could use, though I would stick to 16 or 18ga without formed edges... a neat trick I have seen done on other trailers is to roll the fender, then roll some .25 in the same radius, and tack 3 of them on like ribs the length of the curve, outer edges and middle.

j

Rezarf
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
John thanks for the offer bud! :thumb:

But 2bad let me borrow his square die a few months ago and I knocked out a set of tube fenders for it, I simply have to skin them out with the sheet this weekend and mount them up.

Sounds like a fun tool to see in action!

Drew

Beater
03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a fun tool to see in action!

Drew

"that's what she said"

Beater
03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
stupid question:

wheres the rest of the tongue?

Are you using a male to male extender..

wow that sounded weird

j

DaveInDenver
03-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Are you using a male to male extender..
Uh, yeah, not gonna go there.

He's probably using one of those Adventure Trailer multi-axis deals. They have draw bars on both ends, so the trailer and the truck both have 2" receivers. But even with that it still seems short, like it will bind up pretty easily.

AxleIke
03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
The rest of the tongue is not on the trailer. Drew designed it to be able to fit into a small area, but still be long enough to be stable on the road, and jackknife on the trail if needed.

He is using a multi axis hitch. It is bad to the bone.

Jacket
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
So nice to see that thing taking form. Very cool! Where are you going to mount the blender :D:cheers:

Rezarf
03-14-2008, 10:04 PM
stupid question:

wheres the rest of the tongue?
j

Yeah, it has an extendable tongue, I built it so it would be removeable so I could remove it when not towing, and save space in the garage... or adjust it with other vehicles/setups.

Rezarf
03-14-2008, 10:05 PM
So nice to see that thing taking form. Very cool! Where are you going to mount the blender :D:cheers:

No blender, but there will be kitchen with sink, fridge, and stove! :eek:

Beater
03-15-2008, 02:53 PM
hint:

put in a set screw on two axis so that it won't rattle/slop... on female side of the trailer receiver.

Rezarf
03-15-2008, 10:47 PM
hint:

put in a set screw on two axis so that it won't rattle/slop... on female side of the trailer receiver.

John- That is a great tip, thanks!

Drew

Rezarf
03-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Just for you Matt! :D

rover67
03-15-2008, 11:39 PM
lookin pretty slick dude..

Beater
03-16-2008, 07:38 AM
did you crease the leading and trailing edge of the fenders? Roll a bead there? If not, do yourself a favor and run some 1/8th or 1/4 rod along the edge for strength..

Just a suggestion

That is truly a job well done. Much nicer than most.. you should be very proud of yourself. Really.

j

Uncle Ben
03-16-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=8268&stc=1&d=1205644778

Wow! Did you buy that thing at Chipotle? :eek::lmao::lmao: Drew, That is one of the finest fab jobs I have seen in a long time! That put's my work to shame for sure! :bowdown: :donutboy:

Rezarf
03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow! Did you buy that thing at Chipotle? :eek::lmao::lmao: Drew, That is one of the finest fab jobs I have seen in a long time! That put's my work to shame for sure! :bowdown: :donutboy:

Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words, it has been fun to build, I get a lot of satisfaction working on it and getting my hands dirty.

:thumb: :hill:

corsair23
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
That is one of the finest fab jobs I have seen in a long time! That put's my work to shame for sure! :bowdown: :donutboy:

x2

That thing is SEXY!! Can a trailer be sexy? Meh, who cares...it is :thumb:

Mendocino
03-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I had the good fortune of visiting this work of art in a "private viewing" today! Nice job Drew! I'm most impressed with your project vision and of course superior execution.:)

Rezarf
03-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I had the good fortune of visiting this work of art in a "private viewing" today! Nice job Drew! I'm most impressed with your project vision and of course superior execution.:)

Thanks guys, my goal is to have it in paint by CMO8, we'll see how it goes, the cruiser needs at least one weekends attention before hitting the desert. So that only leaves like 4 weeks left :eek:

I was thinking of having a body prep party one saturday... everyone bring over an angle grinder or sanding block and get this thing ready to squirt some smurf blue on it... :thumb:

rover67
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
i'd be up for helping! anything i can do to be able to say i had a small part in that masterpeice!

Rezarf
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Mocked up the RTT tonight. Lots more to do, no time to write :eek::D:thumb:

Mendocino
03-19-2008, 07:10 AM
I was thinking of having a body prep party one saturday... everyone bring over an angle grinder or sanding block and get this thing ready to squirt some smurf blue on it... :thumb:

Count me in, schedule and my own CM 08 preparations providing.:thumb:

Rezarf
03-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Got my tailgate fabbed, fitted and bolted on. I am stoked as it is a lot of bolt on's from here... not much more fab, just a little weld here and there.

:thumb:

corsair23
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Drew,

Remind me again what size ball I need to get for my hitch :confused: :hill:

That trailer just keeps looking better and better and better :drool:

Beater
03-26-2008, 06:28 AM
side chains for the tail gate? home depot/lowes sells the pvc covered ones fyi...

MDH33
03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Looks sooo coool! :cool:

Rezarf
03-26-2008, 08:00 AM
side chains for the tail gate? home depot/lowes sells the pvc covered ones fyi...

No side chains/cables. otherwise it limits how close you can get to the trailer, and I am going to install two huge drawers to access the gear. It isn't designed for sitting on.

Thanks!

AxleIke
03-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Drew, that looks amazing as always. You're on the home stretch!

DaveInDenver
03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
No side chains/cables. otherwise it limits how close you can get to the trailer, and I am going to install two huge drawers to access the gear. It isn't designed for sitting on.
Side cables that can quickly pop off their mount, like pickup tailgates (at least mine) might be a nice option. Keep the tailgate from swinging down and slamming the hinges if you have full hands and drop it. Also gives you an option to make it a flat area for a stove, working on stuff, salsa serving spot, Tiki Bar and the all important BEER TRAY! Just something to think about.

LOOKS AWESOME! Great job.

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Another thing that came out of that was I don't think my flasher is "strong enough" to cycle the extra taillights - the brake and running lights come on but the turn signals don't work when I have the trailer in tow and hooked up (the turn signals are based off resistance you know in these old 40s).
LED bulbs or trailer lights.

cbmontgo
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Drew,

That thing is looking awesome!

treerootCO
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM

Or rev the engine. :D My 40 flashers slow down at idle and after a long cycle of the stop light, they just stay on.

Looks great!

Mendocino
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Drew,

It looks great.:thumb: Can you hide the nuts and bolts for the piano hinge on the tail gate inside the square tubing? By doing this it is cleaner IMHO.

Cheers,

Jeff

Red_Chili
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Tramontana put LED trailer lights on his motorcycle trailer, and not only did they use less current, they were BRIGHT and VERY VISIBLE. Easily armored too. Just a thought.

MDH33
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Unless your tail lights are recessed, it looks like the lens might get crushed when the gate is all the way down. You were going to use the square style 40 tail lights, correct?

Rezarf
03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Side cables that can quickly pop off their mount, like pickup tailgates (at least mine) might be a nice option. Keep the tailgate from swinging down and slamming the hinges if you have full hands and drop it. Also gives you an option to make it a flat area for a stove, working on stuff, salsa serving spot, Tiki Bar and the all important BEER TRAY! Just something to think about.

LOOKS AWESOME! Great job.

I might do this. THanks Dave

Rezarf
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Unless your tail lights are recessed, it looks like the lens might get crushed when the gate is all the way down. You were going to use the square style 40 tail lights, correct?

Yeah, we will see how they end up, I like the simple drop tailgate though.

Drew

Rezarf
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Drew,

That thing is looking awesome!

Thanks man! :thumb:

Rezarf
03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Drew,

It looks great.:thumb: Can you hide the nuts and bolts for the piano hinge on the tail gate inside the square tubing? By doing this it is cleaner IMHO.

Cheers,

Jeff

Nope, no can do. Then the bolts would be blind and hard to access without opening up big holes in the tubing. Thanks man! :cheers:

Rezarf
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM

fj40 tail lights! :D

Red_Chili
03-27-2008, 06:34 AM
:-P
Fine, but use LED bulbs. www.superbrightleds.com

Rezarf
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
:thumb::-P
Fine, but use LED bulbs. www.superbrightleds.com

That is a pretty good thought Bill. Thanks

Rezarf
04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Can we push back Moab a bit? I could use an extra weekend or two.

Thanks!

Here is where I am at today...:thumb:

Rezarf
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Got my water tank mounted! :D

I am gunning to paint this weekend! Crossing my fingers.

:hill:

Tanglefoot
04-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Wow! That looks amazing. I can't imagine putting something like that together. I love expedition hardware.

Eric

Red_Chili
04-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Any idea of the weight? Laden, unladen?

RockRunner
04-08-2008, 08:30 AM
very very nice Drew. I like the design and the way you kept things simple. I agree with Bill, go LED much brighter.

On another note, did you tile your garage? Looks great whatever it is under the trailer!

rover67
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
looking super sweet man.... very very cool.

Rezarf
04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys, I am getting close, but too close for comfort.

Tom, the floor is just a slab, maybe swept but just a concrete slab. :D

RockRunner
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I swear the last picture in post 80 it looks like 18x18" tile in the background.

Either way I can't wait to see the end result in Moab.

Rezarf
04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Getting paint today! :D

Should be almost 70 on Sunday and Monday... got a small window to shoot for! Wish me luck!

Drew

corsair23
04-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Good luck :thumb:

I'm positive it will turn out awesome Drew :D

Rezarf
04-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, dropped more $ at Sherwin Williams today. Got urathane single stage in one of their lower quality paint. FWIW, it came out at the same price as the NAPA enamel, but the urathane should hold up a bit better in the long run.

Hardener, reducer, self-etching primer OH MY! :eek:

Should be fun... or a disaster... either way this thing should be blue by tuesday! :D

Beater
04-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I have two guns I am not using if you need... they need some cleaning, but work fine.. you can also borrow my inline filter if you replace the cartridge when you are done...

j

Jacket
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
:wav:

Bump for smurf blue trailer pics!

Rezarf
04-14-2008, 11:19 AM
The trailer will not be heading to Moab.. :(

Too much to do, too little time to do it AND get the truck up and running for the 300 miles each way. Just too many little things adding up that all need to be done right. Electrical, hitch setup, wiring the truck, wiring the trailer, paint... assembly, plumbing, test drive, insurance. Just too much to do with the time left.

So, I am switching over to the 40 to make it ready for the trip. And even that is a lot of work:

Install CB into tuffy.
Remount CB Antenna
Get winch working again
Install fuse block
Wire lights
Install 12v outlets
Mount Fridge
Mount recovery point in the rear.
Figure out why I pulling right when braking
Fix the tiny waterpump leak.
Figure out why my cruiser quit while driving down the road. Ignition related.
New juice in the pumkins
New juice in the case/tranny.
New plugs.
Wash and wax
Pack up a weeks worth of camping crap into a 40.
Sell an organ/body part to pay for gas.
Plan to make it an enjoyable trip for my :princess:

Yep, it is a bummer that the trialer won't make this trip, but lately it has become another job, and isn't fun anymore. Gotta slow down, get the rig ready so I can ENJOY Moab, not just get there with a trailer.

:rant: off

subzali
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Fix the tiny waterpump leak.

Um, you mean new water pump right? :eek:

Red_Chili
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Whoa, no kidding you have a lot to do...:eek:

Rezarf
04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Um, you mean new water pump right? :eek:

No, the gasket behind the pump didn't set right because of the Powersteering pump mount thingy... I have a new bolt, the old bolt started to get stripped and isn't clamping right.

Yes Bill, too much to do, but most of it can be knocked out on a saturday.

:thumb::cheers:

Jacket
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Bummer Drew. I know you really wanted that thing for CM. But your plan makes sense - no reason to rush, cut corners, and not enjoy the process.

RockRunner
04-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Real shame, i know we were all looking forward to the unveiling of the trailer at CM. Maybe it will be ready for the Show and Shine later this summer.

Uncle Ben
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Good choice Drew! I can only imagine how disappointed you must be but the last thing you need after such a detailed and quality build it to ruch through the final process! Take a break, take Stac out for a nice evening letting her know how much you appreciate her letting you spend time on you, take a breather and get your trail junk ready for a fun season! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::Princess: :cool:

MDH33
04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Don't sweat it Drew. I agree with everyone else that you've done a great job on it and there's no reason to rush it at the end. There will be plenty of opportunities to use your trailer this summer:

Ghost Town Run, Triple Bypass, Ouray, Trail clean-up/camp outs, and there may even be an opportunity to overnight on the 40's Only Run this year (stay tuned). ;)

rover67
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
no sweat, you'll get to use it a lot this summer. It'll be sweet to have it then, and it'll mean less stuff that you have to redo if yo utake your time with it.

let me know if you need any help one of these nights with the 40, i'll be working OT on the rear bumper to have it done by CM so i'll be in the garage most nights.. gotta have a spot for da spare.

corsair23
04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Agree with everyone else...Get the 40 ready, the trailer will be waiting for when you get back and rushing it to get it ready at this point is probably something you'll regret down the road.

Rezarf
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys, I have been kinda bummed all day, but I also know it will better in the long run. I am scrubbing down the 40 today with this nice weather and diving in on the all the little things i have neglected for the past 6 months! :D

Thanks again fellas!

Hulk
04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Better to take your time and do it right, as you have from the start. You'll be using this trailer for many years to come! A wise decision on your part.

farnhamstj
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Bummer. Good luck with the 40. I'll be waiting for the finished trailer pics.

MDH33
04-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Drew, if you decide to head out later in the week, I'm still planning on the slow 40 caravan Wednesday morning. :thumb:

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 10:55 PM
QUOTE=MDH33;70469]Drew, if you decide to head out later in the week, I'm still planning on the slow 40 caravan Wednesday morning. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Martin- thanks for the offer, I think we are going to break it up over Monday night and stay at Glenwood springs... 7 hours plus in the 40 might not be the intro I give to my :Princess: on our inaugural trip :D

We will bomb it on the way home though and would be up for the slow train! :D

Rezarf
05-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Got started on paint today. Going to play hookie in the morning and jump on the last of the good weather. I got the under-coating done today...:thumb:

Mendocino
05-12-2008, 06:36 AM
:thumb: Nice job Drew! The undercoating looks nice and even in the pics.

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Nice start, looks like you are going to get it done before the wheather. Show us the pictures when you can...........

Rezarf
05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Well, I made it to primer today... that is as far as she gets for now, and I am pretty high on fumes! ;):thumb:

bh4rnnr
05-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Wow! Trailer is looking awesome Drew, cant wait to see it on the Ghost Town Run!

:beer::beer:

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Very :cool: Drewdude! :thumb::thumb: :cheers:

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Awesome, looks great. Just don't inhale to many fumes :D:eek:

Rezarf
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Awesome, looks great. Just don't inhale to many fumes :D:eek:

Thanks guys! :cheers:

I took my resperator off for a minute doing something and WHAM! the fumes hit me pretty good, the respirator went back on pretty quick. Now I just have to have another sunny day with warmish weather and I will be smurf blue and start assembly. will it ever end:confused::rolleyes: :p:

rover67
05-12-2008, 09:01 PM
lookin' pretty friggin sweet dude. like really.

when you are done... can I hang with you?
I feel like I may not be worthy...

Hulk
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Very nice. Amazing what a good respirator can do, isn't it?

Some years ago, I met a guy who told me a story about "the last time he painted his own car." The dramatic part of the story was him waking up in the shop the next morning, after passing out on fumes the evening previous.

Needless to say, it was nice to learn a lesson without having to live it. For once, anyway.

Beater
05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
un solicited advice:

with the rise in humidity over the next couple of days - add 50% to your cure time on the primer, unless you were using a multistage primer. If you were using a fill primer (resin based) the humidity will make a HUGE difference.

Also - remember to give 24-36 hours evaporation after wet sanding

back to my hole now...

Rezarf
05-13-2008, 08:12 AM
un solicited advice:

with the rise in humidity over the next couple of days - add 50% to your cure time on the primer, unless you were using a multistage primer. If you were using a fill primer (resin based) the humidity will make a HUGE difference.

Also - remember to give 24-36 hours evaporation after wet sanding

back to my hole now...

Thanks John, the weather is a blessing in disguise, I am going to dry sand the primer, knock out a few runs I had early in the spraying, then seal all the seems with some acrylic sealant.

I can just barely make out the bondo patches I laid down, do you think I need more primer on there? Thanks :thumb:

Red_Chili
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Greenmachine needs a website:
www.johnknowsstuff.com

Really.

Jacket
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I know that "smurf blue" is your final goal, but I kinda like the green primer color. Very earthy!

Beater
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
anything you can see in primer will be 100 times worse in gloss/final coat. Most pro shops do a "black coat" to highlight areas. This is a simple spray of a low or high gloss black to illustrate areas that need work.

I would definitely butterfly or orbital all suspect areas, wet sand, then spray with a "fill" primer. Then do it again. If your arms aren't turning to jelly when you paint something, you aren't doing enough. Plan on 3 sanding/primer cycles

Are you planning full acrylic?
j

Rezarf
05-13-2008, 11:04 AM
anything you can see in primer will be 100 times worse in gloss/final coat. Most pro shops do a "black coat" to highlight areas. This is a simple spray of a low or high gloss black to illustrate areas that need work.

I would definitely butterfly or orbital all suspect areas, wet sand, then spray with a "fill" primer. Then do it again. If your arms aren't turning to jelly when you paint something, you aren't doing enough. Plan on 3 sanding/primer cycles

j

Yeah, it is just a trailer... or at least that is what I keep telling myself. I am not wanting such a good finish that I am scared to wheel it, but I do want it to look good from a few feet away. :thumb:

I have no idea what I have, but what the dude at Sherwin William sold me, it is there entry level urathane.

Rezarf
05-13-2008, 11:04 AM
I know that "smurf blue" is your final goal, but I kinda like the green primer color. Very earthy!

Stacy loves the color, it is a really nice green/gray IMHO. :thumb:

Red_Chili
05-13-2008, 12:02 PM

j
That sounds a lot more professional than my usual tactic of "spray it on thicker, then sand a bit and rub it out, and spray it on thicker till I'm sick of it".

Rezarf
05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Sprayed all my interior panels white...

...why?

Ever tried to find something at night inside a black box? Ever tried to search for something at night inside a white box? It will help my little LEDs spread the love in the evening! :D

Onto the pics :thumb:

Hulk
05-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Very good idea.

farnhamstj
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice Drew. Nice.

Rezarf
05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice Drew. Nice.

Thanks Farnham, I have some good shots of you from Steel bender, one that is a really good shot! PM me your email and I will send it to you bud.:thumb:

Drew

corsair23
05-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Awesome as usual Drew!!!

Now, just shoot a few nice coats of RED on the outside and it will be done :hill:

Rezarf
05-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Awesome as usual Drew!!!

No, just shoot a few nice coats of RED on the outside and it will be done :hill:

It is easy enough to change when I sell it to you at a kerbillion % markup! :D :p: :lmao:

Rezarf
05-17-2008, 05:05 PM
It is...

BLUE!

...but so am I, I'll post up pics when the fog clears! :thumb:

Rezarf
05-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Just so you don't think I am yanking your chain...

Came out decent enough. :rolleyes: :blah: I keep telling myself it is just for rust prevention! :D I got a little orange peel, and with the design I have, it will be too hard to buff it out... but it looks nice! :thumb:

AxleIke
05-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Looks awesome man!!!!

Mendocino
05-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Looks great Drew!:cool:

farnhamstj
05-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow. Looks great from here.

Rezarf
05-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Started the assembly today, it is coming along well, and I like the way it looks. I still need to paint the rack up front black and attach the fenders and a few more things but other than that I am good to go soon! Onto the pics!

The bonus of spraying in your garage is you get a free floor coating as well! :hill: :thumb:

Mendocino
05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Drew, I am truly moved! That is a beautiful piece of work!:)

AxleIke
05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm shedding tears buddy. It is beautiful. Simply Beautiful.

corsair23
05-19-2008, 02:07 AM
I'm speechless...

Two :thumb:s up dood!!!!!

Mendocino
05-19-2008, 06:59 AM
You know, Maude may feel a bit slighted since the trailer has such a nice new coat of Smurf blue. You may need to paint her now.;)

RicardoJM
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
WOW - the trailer looks awesome. It has been really cool to see the things you have done since picking up that welder in the short time since last August. Very impressive work Drew!

Red_Chili
05-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Absolutely first rate. You take a back seat to NO one.

One thing, you probably will want to put a short section of receiver (female) on the side of your trailer tongue tube. This will accept the jacking wheel so you can move it around with the tongue in place.

Otherwise your back will give out when you try to put the thing on your hitch, loaded up! DAMHIK

Rezarf
05-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the nice words everyone!

Bill, something like this? :thumb:

Rezarf
05-19-2008, 08:40 AM
You know, Maude may feel a bit slighted since the trailer has such a nice new coat of Smurf blue. You may need to paint her now.;)

My dad said the same thing. The color is spot on, except for 32 years of fade :lmao: Next year is the repaint of Maude to match the trailer :thumb:

Red_Chili
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the nice words everyone!

Bill, something like this? :thumb:
:o Perfect. I shoulda figgered you would be on top of that from the git go.

Rezarf
05-19-2008, 09:28 AM
:o Perfect. I shoulda figgered you would be on top of that from the git go.

You'd think that but most of my ideas came from good tips from others so THANKS for the heads up!

Rezarf
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm speechless...

Two :thumb:s up dood!!!!!

Jeff, I could change it RED in a weekend if the price was right! :lmao:

rover67
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
looks nice bro. when do we test it?

Rezarf
05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, most of the big stuff is on...

Lid
Cargo box
Small box
Got the shackles pressed in, thanks again Ben!
Shower mounted
Tailate and latches done
Fenders mounted

Left to do:
weatherstripping
latches
mount tent
wiring for lights

Drive the wheels off of it and get it dirty! Here is a shot of the color match, with my dusty (still from Moab) cruiser. The color is dead on, minus 32 years of fade! :D

wesintl
05-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Bravo! You got to feel good about this trailer build.:drool:

corsair23
05-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Drew,

That just keeps looking better everyday :thumb: - No need to change the color! Red (my 40), White (my top), and Blue (the trailer) seems appropriate :hill:

Question, will those struts for the lid be able to hold up the lid with the tent mounted?

Rezarf
05-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Drew,

Question, will those struts for the lid be able to hold up the lid with the tent mounted?

That is the plan, McMaster.com site has a great write up on how to calculate the force needed to raise up a lid... I followed their directions to a "T" So it ought to work out fine. They really go right now! They are almost hard to close, so I think the math worked out right...

search for "gas struts" and they have a great page of calculating the right lifts.

Rezarf
05-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Bravo! You got to feel good about this trailer build.:drool:

Thanks Wes, I will feel better when I stop spending money on it and start using it! :D

AxleIke
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Looks amazing man!!!

Sorry for being such a flake on you for help for the final stages....Probably better off, as my track record on that hasn't been that great :D How long before the broken paddle latch gets forgotten do you suppose? :D :D :D :D :D

LOL

Truly a work of art!

Rezarf
05-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Looks amazing man!!!

Sorry for being such a flake on you for help for the final stages....Probably better off, as my track record on that hasn't been that great :D How long before the broken paddle latch gets forgotten do you suppose? :D :D :D :D :D

LOL

Truly a work of art!

What broken paddle latch? :thumb: Seriously, I can't remember :confused: so yeah, you're forgiven! :D

Hulk
05-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Dude, that is the coolest trailer evah! You rock!

MDH33
05-22-2008, 07:45 AM
That's looking pretty slick, Drew. :smokin:

Can't wait to see it on the trail. Once I get my new RTT mounted on my 60, we'll have to get a group together and do a scenic trail with a campout. :thumb:

farnhamstj
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Wife says,"Wow looks great, Just in time for them to have kids and need something completly different."

I think it's sweet.

Rezarf
05-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Wife says,"Wow looks great, Just in time for them to have kids and need something completly different."

I think it's sweet.

At least with the trailer we might get by for a few more years before taking the land anchor route :D

Rezarf
05-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Can't wait to see it on the trail. Once I get my new RTT mounted on my 60, we'll have to get a group together and do a scenic trail with a campout. :thumb:

You got a deal bud!

RockRunner
05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Awesome job, something you can really be proud of. Best of all you did it yourself!!! Congrats.

Uncle Ben
05-22-2008, 09:15 AM

You got a deal bud!

I'm in!

rover67
05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
You got a deal bud!

i'm in too. :thumb:

Rezarf
05-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Well, looks like we have an overnight part sometime. I am in winter park for the summer so I will check out the local spots, is there anything in the Bill Moore Lake area?

wesintl
05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
This is what you need... :D

https://www.looneystore.com/itemdetail.cfm?item=yosmudflaps

Red_Chili
05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Well, looks like we have an overnight part sometime. I am in winter park for the summer so I will check out the local spots, is there anything in the Bill Moore Lake area?
Lots of spots in the Empire Loop.

bh4rnnr
05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Trailer looks awesome Drew!

:beer::beer:

wesintl
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
You got plates for it yet?

Rezarf
05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Yup, vin, plates, title... no insurance just yet. working on getting insured for replacement value. Kind of a different process. I want to get it insured that if it gets totalled or stolen, I can go out and buy the Adventure Trailer I want to replace it.

Drew

Red_Chili
05-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Good plan. Works for trucks too BTW!

Rezarf
05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I learned a lot from your roll last year Bill. THANKS! :thumb:

MDH33
06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Any updates Drew? When's the test run?

I got my RTT mounted on my 60. Can't wait to try it out! :thumb:

Mendocino
06-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I got an independent valuation of my 73 40 and insured it for that. I sleep much better at night with the replacement insurance.

subzali
06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Drew's gonna debut it at the meeting tomorrow night! :D

Rezarf
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I thought I'd post up some updates.

We can't make the GTR now and we were hoping to show it off there for the first time, but now it might be the 40's only run. We'll see.

It is time to get out and use it!

I need to swap out ladders for the newer version still, couldn't find the hardware and braket today :rant: and make a new rain fly with the sun brella material I have in the garage. But that will have to wait until the summer ends and we get to USE it a bunch...

My awesome wife got me the decal for the tailgate for my birthday last January, it looks right at home don't you think?

corsair23
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
:thumb: WOW :thumb:

I am speechless Drew :bowdown:

Hulk
07-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Dude, that is so nice.

Rock Dog
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
looks awsome! :thumb:
Talk about Styling.....

Does it tilt at all if you get on the very rear of the trailer (the very left side of the tent looking at the front), or does it just not tip backwards very easy (has enough tounge weight, and axles are far enough back)?

MDH33
07-15-2008, 06:44 PM
That's Uber-Cool Drew. Can't wait to see it on the trail and in use. Bummer you won't be able to make the GTR.

Did you move to the hills?

Bighead
07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
That turned out really nice. Great work!

subzali
07-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Now I want to see a picture of it in tow behind Maude...

That is very, very cool. Very nice work.

RicardoJM
07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Dang, that is sharp Drew. Very good work, and to think you just started welding last August. Very impressive!

AxleIke
07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
What? No battery box hold down showcase?!>!! LOL :D Couldn't resist!

Now you need to paint your cruiser so it doesn't make the the trailer feel embarassed!!! :D

Awesome as always man!

Rezarf
07-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the nice words. It has been a fun project. Stacy and I are going to go for a quick camping trip this weekend since we are missing the GTR, we have already named it "the Condo."

It doesn't flip rearward when in the tent towards the rear, I have enough tongue weight, now if I jumped up and down on it, it could get interesting. I am going to make a landing leg of some sort down the road... after all, this is just one more machine to modify! :D

wesintl
07-16-2008, 09:45 AM
awesome, that's a real work of art... disturbing you're missing the GTR and another debut for the trailer ;)

nuclearlemon
07-16-2008, 09:53 AM
freakin' sweet! :thumb:

Beater
07-16-2008, 10:56 AM
do you want me to roll you a shield for that propane holder?

RockRunner
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Very nice looking Drew! get out and use it!!

rover67
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
looks really nice Drew. This is the first time i've seen it complete. really really nice.

Jenny Cruiser
07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Very cool.:thumb:

Let me know if you don't find those brackets and all.

farnhamstj
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice job Drew. Your giving me trailer envy.

FJ40zen
07-18-2008, 09:05 AM
That is a very Professional looking trailer. If I saw that and did not know it was home built, I would look for a trademark and think "Who makes those?" Very nice. :)

Jacket
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Truly a thing of beauty! And to think it started as a bunch of steel and a set of sketches. There's not a good enough adjective to describe the coolness of that rolling adventure! :bowdown:

If you're not pimping that to OJ or some other publications, you should be.

Hulk
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
If you're not pimping that to OJ or some other publications, you should be.

Simpson?

corsair23
07-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Just remember Drew...I have FIRST DIBS on that thing should you ever be crazy enough to consider selling it :thumb:

Red, white, and blue...That would be the new color scheme for me and then folks wouldn't be making fun of my ugly white hardtop on a red 40 :hill:

wesintl
07-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm off to photochop this trailer into a jar like the orion... Can anyone confirm it's real?

http://www.root45.com/gallery3/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1730&g2_serialNumber=1

MDH33
07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm off to photochop this trailer into a jar like the orion... Can anyone confirm it's real?

http://www.root45.com/gallery3/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1730&g2_serialNumber=1

:lmao:

So true. We need to see this thing man!

Any interest in camping Saturday night after the club picnic up along the Bill Moore/Mill Creek Trail before the 40's Only Run Sunday? I'm trying to convince Kim to come along too.

Rezarf
08-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Now I want to see a picture of it in tow behind Maude...

That is very, very cool. Very nice work.

Well, I was able to save a few pics from our Camera melt down. Here are the only few that made it after touching them up in photoshop.

More to come as we get a new camera...

Shark Bait
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Wow! Very impressive, Drew! :clap:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Wow! Very impressive, Drew! :clap:

where were you at yesterday chris? traveling?
missed you at the rallye

cbmontgo
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I was able to save a few pics from our Camera melt down. Here are the only few that made it after touching them up in photoshop.

More to come as we get a new camera...

Drew,

Where is that picture taken? Looks like a nice spot...I'm surprised you could get a full size Chevy in there.

AxleIke
08-10-2008, 10:10 PM
As always, beautiful man!!!!

subzali
08-11-2008, 07:55 AM
So how does the 40 do turning 35s and pulling the trailer? Imagine it slows ya down a bit ;)

Rezarf
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I am down to about 40mph on the steep sections... not like I was flying up there before though :D

Red_Chili
08-14-2008, 07:06 AM
I still say the trailer is photoshopped. Has anyone actually seen it in action? Huh? Well have they?

Uncle Ben
08-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I still say the trailer is photoshopped. Has anyone actually seen it in action? Huh? Well have they?

Totally a vapor trail! :lmao::lmao:;)

Jacket
08-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I've seen it - its real. No doubt about it!

Red_Chili
08-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I think he is paying Jacket off. Proof required. Must show up at next event.

Uncle Ben
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I think he is paying Jacket off. Proof required. Must show up at next event.

I don't think Rezarf is real either! I think it was all just some weird government cover up to keep us from watching Ultra Greens play with their spikes! :eek:

Rezarf
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, we are down from the high country with our weekends open again. Tuesday wheelin' was great, but missing some of the best runs of the summer kinda stunk (GTR, 40's only).

That said, me and the little lady are heading up to the RMNP this weekend with all the other RV'rs campsite 244 Moraine Park, come on out for a campfire doughnut! :D

We are loving it, it tracks great, pushes me downhill, and I get asked about it EVERYTIME i come to a stop. The Toyota sticker out back really gets people going! :blah::eek:

Maybe next meeting, but having it back there really does suck down the fuel a bit more than I'd like. :thumb:

Rezarf
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Got up to RMNP last night and parked right between lots of multi-hundy thousand RVs... priceless.

Longs had some snow on it, we had some rain... stayed dry, had a blast, ate like kings, watched a heard of 134 elk graze all afternoon and enjoyed a nice fire, spent some queit time with my :Princess: man I love being outdoors. :D

Mendocino
08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Drew, That looks fantastic. What a great set up and setting.:thumb:

Thanks so much for posting up the pics.

calphi27
08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
If you had that trip a few weeks from now, those elk would be peeing all over your gear and making rubs on that new paint.

Awesome setup btw!!!

Bighead
08-26-2008, 04:25 AM
Nice pictures! How has that awning worked for you?

subzali
08-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Alright, enough camping poser shots - let's see it on the TRAIL! :D

Looks good Drew, I was up on Longs Peak Sunday as well! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
08-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Very cool poser shots Drew! :thumb::thumb:

Rezarf
08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Poser shots! :rant: this is what it was designed to do... at least one half of the equation, to camp in style! :D It will see trail time I am sure but for now, just getting away and enjoying the great outdoors will be its primary function.

Matt were you hiking Longs? It was about 10pm and I could see a light all the way up on longs near the top... it was really cool. I kept "signaling" them with my surefire... no response though.

Jenny Cruiser
08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Who climbs Longs @ 10pm? Awesome pics Drew. Is that a Kelty awning? I've seen it on a few people's rigs lately.

subzali
08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
People are on Longs almost 24 hours a day during the summer/fall. We left the trailhead at 3am Sunday morning. The trail register has people leaving at all times of day and night. It's a 10-13 hour trip for most normal people.

you may resume your discussion :D

AxleIke
08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Looks great man!!!!

Glad you got out and enjoyed some private time since your work has to be insanely busy this time of year.

Rezarf
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
So, I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am going to start on building up the interior of the trailer and finish all its bells and whistles this spring.

First up is a slide out kitchen. I was wondering what you guys would add or include if it were you. I am really trying to do it once, do it right.

My biggest delima right now is what to skin the counter top with. I am debating between a stainless top or some polyethylene (think cutting board material). I like the non bacteria forming surfaces, but the PE would be uber easy to work with... perhaps I could find it in black too... any how, here is what I am thinking, I'd love to hear what you'd add, or take away- just don't count on me doing it ;)

below is cut and pasted from my thread on mud...

Lets start talking Kitchen!
I hope to be fully up and running with the interior of the trailer completed before this wheeling season is up and running.

I plan on having two slide out drawers, one with a kitchen mounted, the other for storage and organization.

Here is my rough plan:

Drivers side:

Slide out kitchen mounted on 48" drawer slides.
Kitchen will house: Stove, Sink, Faucet, Counter space, fire putter-outter , utensil storage, mount for a lantern on a pole... work space, lots of workspace!

Above it (hard mounted inside the traile will be bedding and other soft items typically accessed once we first set up camp, chairs, pillows, lanterns, awning etc.

Passenger Side:

Full depth storage box (think Drifta) that will mount on 48" slides and be accessable with the kitchen deployed.

Drawer will Store: Food, cookware, bulkier items, most all other camping supplies.

I don't have a scanner anymore so my sketches will need to wait before the big "reveal"

My slides show up this week and I will start knocking it out then. I think I have everything else ready to go. Stay tuned.

Rezarf
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
So I have decided on a design, thanks for all the imput everyone. My biggest missing link was deciding on whether or not the $$$$ involved in heavy duty drawer slides was worth it or not. Well, I was surfing on Ebay the other day and found a supplier getting rid of HUGE 48" full extension drawer slides, for $30 bucks a pair! I couldn't go wrong, so I ordered two sets and they arrived this week. I am stoked- they are not as nice as some of the accuride models but they are amazingly beefy for my needs!

Here is a rough sketch of what I plan on doing for the slide out kitchen. I will have a sink, faucet, stove, cutting board, extendable shelf, storage for pots, storage for utensils and other items too.

I plan on using polyethlene (cutting board material) to create the entire counter top/work space. It is anti-bacteria absorbing, easy to clean, sanitary, stable and easily worked with my tools. I will pick up the sheet I need early this week and start the build.

I am going to do one of two things with the sink (craigslist $15 find! ). I will either cut out the existing holes and reweld the edge of the sink back on making a square mounting surface, or I will open up the 3 holes into one elongated rectangle and fill it with a "pocket" that can store towels, soap, dish brushes, tooth paste, things like that.

I will have one counter accesable hatch that will store the pots and pans and other things that will fit, maybe some plates and the coffee press.

The stove is a cheap-o Coleman, that I can find replacement parts anywhere in the country. It will be bolted down to a slide out underneath the counter and will house its own slide out shelf for all the things we seem to keep out while cooking If I have learned anything about using my trailer it is that EVERY horizontal space in the trailer is usually in "use" before we depart from camp. I may still make a fold over counter like 24hours mentioned, but I feel like this is creating the space I have been longing for. That in combination with a fold out table, and I should be all set... for now

The kitchen slide out will be roughly 14" tall, leaving me at least enough room for 2-3 four inch tall drawers for storage.

Overall, I think it will be really nice. I am going to build the kitchen first then I will know exactly what is needed inside the trailer to make it work dimensionally.

Corbet
03-14-2010, 05:10 PM
I am in complete envy of your trailer. But I have one question. Why the cheapo stove. I understand parts should be easy to find but coleman will likely change its design in the future making replacing it more difficult if your design limits future options. Why not go with a Partner Steel stove following your do it once/right plan? I don't know if they have ever changed the design of that stove. Parts should be easy to source too.

Rezarf
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I am in complete envy of your trailer. But I have one question. Why the cheapo stove. I understand parts should be easy to find but coleman will likely change its design in the future making replacing it more difficult if your design limits future options. Why not go with a Partner Steel stove following your do it once/right plan? I don't know if they have ever changed the design of that stove. Parts should be easy to source too.

Great question... simple answer. Coleman= $50 bucks, the Partner= $300. Both do the same thing, and the Coleman is dimensionally larger so if I ever decide to swap out and upgrade, most other stoves will fit... including the Partner ;) It has boiled water and cooked my food just fine for a few years already, so no need to replace it in my opinion.

That extra $250 in the stove alone will pay for a long weekend of fine camping:thumb:

Corbet
03-14-2010, 06:45 PM
fair enough:thumb:

TIMZTOY
03-14-2010, 07:59 PM
love it.. for counter top surface id go with the white plastic cutting board material nice, clean, easy to cut to thesize you need with out specisal tools. and u have a cutting board on the trail