PDA

View Full Version : What to know before switching to synthetic oil?

Rezarf
09-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Howdy guys and gals-

I am thinking of switching over to synthetic in the Corolla 2005 model. It only uses 3.5 quarts per change. We just turned 40k is there anything to consider before switching? We are now outside of our warranty.

I was thinking Mobile One, I have heard great stuff about it, but is there another brand to consider?

Thanks!:thumb:

Drew

Chris
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey Drew,

I tried it in my 62 and found that a whole lot more oil leaks out :D

corsair23
09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Drew,

I know the Corolla isn't a Landcruiser but I would suggest reading the 80 series oil FAQs

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=79305

There is a lot of good information on oil, switching to sythetic, etc.

FWIW I saw greater oil consumption running Mobil 1 than I have running Rotella. I switched from Mobil 1 to Rotella because my after market warranty requires oil changes every 3K miles and what I've been told is changing the oil every 3K miles when running a synthetic is a waste of money. Now I have enough Mobil 1 to last me 3 years since I was buying it to do oil changes on 2 rigs :(

Rezarf
09-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Oh my info!:eek::bowdown:

Thanks Jeff!

Drew,

I know the Corolla isn't a Landcruiser but I would suggest reading the 80 series oil FAQs

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=79305

There is a lot of good information on oil, switching to sythetic, etc.

FWIW I saw greater oil consumption running Mobil 1 than I have running Rotella. I switched from Mobil 1 to Rotella because my after market warranty requires oil changes every 3K miles and what I've been told is changing the oil every 3K miles when running a synthetic is a waste of money. Now I have enough Mobil 1 to last me 3 years since I was buying it to do oil changes on 2 rigs :(

corsair23
09-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Oh my info!:eek::bowdown:

Thanks Jeff!

:D

YW, but the thanks go to Romer, Cary, etc. that put that together. I'm just a "passer alonger" :hill:

Jacket
09-25-2007, 05:21 PM
I would go and lurk in a Corolla forum and see what others are doing, and if they are having any trouble with synthetics (not likely). I've been running synthetic in my Tacoma since 5,000 miles, and it still purrs like a kitty, and doesn't burn or leak. I think you should expect equal or better performance out of a synthetic like Mobil1.

wesintl
09-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Life as you know will end...

No longer will anything really be real. Egg beaters, molly mcbutter, saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, neotame and acesulfame potassium, nutella, Olestra...

Romer
09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Most trucks leak when switching because the seals were older and not in the best of shape. On a 2005, you shouldn't have any issues. I would go ahead and make the change if this is a vehicle you plan on keep for a long time. Dino is fine if you want to change it every 3000-5000 miles. Synthetic gives slightly better protection over a much longer period.

Also, oil filters are not all alike, a quality oil filter is a more important change than oil.

Hulk
09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Life as you know will end...

No longer will anything really be real. Egg beaters, molly mcbutter, saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, neotame and acesulfame potassium, nutella, Olestra...

This post is full of WIN! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Beater
09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Romer's right...

with seals, it can be a number of things that do you in. especially those with partial exposure to atmosphere. I don't and won't run synthetic in my vehicles, unless I would do it from new.

When I was in the car business, I learned this the hard way. I would have my service guys recommend syn because of the higher tickets, but the complaints of seepage and leaks always became more of an issue.

I once had an old school porsche turbo, and tried full synthetic in it right around 65k miles... even though my turbo seals were within limits, I suddenly had smoke and consumption.

I have become a full believer in lucas products.... I thought it was snake oil, until I got some first hand knowledge. My family has some business dealings with them, and I was amazed to find the R&D that went in. Pure petroleum and they work...

Red_Chili
09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com for Lucas info. I am contrarian on Lucas. BG is proven stuff though.

I like Valvoline Durablend, I'm a Valvoline enthusiast from way back. It just doesn't make sense to go full synth and then change it frequently, and long change intervals don't make sense to me with the accumulation of acids and other contaminants that don't filter out. With Durablend you get the protection at less cost. YMMV.

Another incarnation of The Oil Thread!

bskey
09-26-2007, 09:08 AM
With your low mileage engine, synthetic wont pose a problem. The best synthetics are Royal Purple, Red line, German Casterol (very hard to find around here) and the Lucas products. I'd go Penzoil Platinum with a bottle of the Lucas Synthetic additive and a Purilator Pure One oil filter in there. Then change your oil every 5k. Mobil one is a triumph in modern marketing! It is not the best, though not bad either. I too have always had consumption issues when I have used M1.

Oh yeah, and the BG products are awesome!!!

......my 2 cents.....

Red_Chili
09-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I had a bad taste in my mouth with Pennz from when I worked at Vickery Motorsports, and Bill and Chuck would grenade their Bonneville bikes every year - UNTIL they switched to Valvoline. No other change. Their bikes came back intact and looking good.

Then a few years back, I figured it was an old bias that deserved a re-evaluation. I needed some synthetic GL4 (NOT GL5, 5 will make the synchros slip) for my tranny, and the local auto parts store had Pennz Synth GL4. So I tried it.

BIG mistake. Shifting in the old W56 was horrible. I did two changes of Redline MT90 to flush out all the Pennz, and the shifting improved dramatically.

There have been more than a few sludge issues associated with Pennz (admittedly their dino oil, and they used to use paraffin additives and may still to my knowledge) combined with my experience with their synth gear oil, that is enough to keep me away from their products entirely.

Rezarf
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I had a bad taste in my mouth with Pennz from when I worked at Vickery Motorsports, and Bill and Chuck would grenade their Bonneville bikes every year - UNTIL they switched to Valvoline. No other change. Their bikes came back intact and looking good.

Then a few years back, I figured it was an old bias that deserved a re-evaluation. I needed some synthetic GL4 (NOT GL5, 5 will make the synchros slip) for my tranny, and the local auto parts store had Pennz Synth GL4. So I tried it.

BIG mistake. Shifting in the old W56 was horrible. I did two changes of Redline MT90 to flush out all the Pennz, and the shifting improved dramatically.

There have been more than a few sludge issues associated with Pennz (admittedly their dino oil, and they used to use paraffin additives and may still to my knowledge) combined with my experience with their synth gear oil, that is enough to keep me away from their products entirely.

Yeah, I am a valvoline dude as well. I like the colors on the bottle :thumb:

Thanks guys! We may stay conventional for now.

Jacket
09-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Penn Platnium is all the rage on BITOG right now - kinda like German Castrol was a year or two ago. I do believe synthetics are better oils for today's newer engines, but I'm not a firm believer that one oil make is WAAYYY better than another, or at least I'm not willing to pay a premium for something like Redline for my routine oil changes (I do use Redline in my diffs and xfer case). I just look for one of the good ones (Mobil1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Royal Purple) that has the best deal when I need an oil change.

The great thing about the BITOG forum is the section where guys post up oil deals at all the national auto parts chains. I just lurk around there, and use the info to stock up. Checker Auto had a deal in September on Pennzoil Platnium where between the store sale and the manufacturers rebate, a 6 pack of 5w30 came out to 99 cents / qt (normally $5 or $6 / qt). Not too shabby.....

And I agree with the prev post about filters - don't skimp there either.

Red_Chili
09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Here is an interesting page on oil filters. Note the comments about FRAM, including an email from a former FRAM production engineer. Eeeek.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Friends don't let friends do Fram.

bskey
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Interesting feedback on the Penz...I'll have to keep that in mind. I am going back to Dino in a vehicle for the first time in many years due to the 225k miles on my 4Runner, so I need to get familiar with those again.

I hadn't heard anything bad aboug Fram filters at all until a couple months ago when I started to hear all sorts of bad things. Too bad too..... I went with the Puralator in my last OC.

Hulk
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Note the comments about FRAM, including an email from a former FRAM production engineer.

Wow. That engineer told a frightening story!
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt

Red_Chili
09-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Interesting feedback on the Penz...I'll have to keep that in mind. I am going back to Dino in a vehicle for the first time in many years due to the 225k miles on my 4Runner, so I need to get familiar with those again.

I hadn't heard anything bad aboug Fram filters at all until a couple months ago when I started to hear all sorts of bad things. Too bad too..... I went with the Puralator in my last OC.
Purolator has as good a rep as Fram has bad. Mobil1 filters fared well, I just put one in - but at $10 it ain't THAT good! It was handy at Checker. Right beneath 40,000 Fram filters.

Beater
09-26-2007, 02:21 PM
bg is good stuff.. and I stand by my lucas statements. Their oil stabilizer is detergent free, and makes wet clutches SOOOO happy.