PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Ranger district meeting on Thursday

nakman
09-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Hmm... :kevin: and Red Cherri both must be sleeping... :D

All,
Next meeting, Thursday September 27th at 5:00pm.
Boulder Ranger District Office, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder 303-541-2500.

*New Calendar of Events for projects*
http://www.hightrails.org/cgi-bin/calendar.pl?calendar=BoulderRD

Agenda:
1) Schedule Next Meeting - All

2) Grants
319 Grant for Lefthand, update (Colleen) Lefthand Challenge Route Grant, update (Shawn)

3) 4WD Road Signing projects
Proposals for 2008 (Adam)
Jenny Creek road signing project update (Bill)

4) Adopt-A-Road Projects / Volunteer Projects Review Jenny Creek kiosk project (Bill) Middle St. Vrain fall project, buck and rail, Oct 27? (Adam) Jumbo Mountain access, status (Dave B) Gold Lake Road 372.1 status (Adam) Miller Rock Adopt-A-Road agreement (Adam)

5) Motorized Trail Signing project (Bill / Dave K) Planning for future motorized trail projects

6) Rollins Pass - John
County Agreement status, Visitor Center status

7) Restoration Projects, FS
Review Park Creek project (Cat)
Review Lefthand restoration projects (Brian) Golden Age Mine project update (Cat)

Any new issues or concerns to work on, or Forest Service projects related to Boulder Ranger District motorized recreation. - All

Forest Service projects list are online at http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/state-level.php?co
Scroll down to find the forest your interested in.
---------------------------------------------
On Hold 2007:
1) Sugarloaf Single Track.
2) Gillespie Gulch access.
3) Lump Gulch fuels project.
4) Transportation Rule, MVU Map.
5) Lefthand Travel Implementation plan.
---------------------------------------------

Last Meeting:
2) Grants
319 Grant (Colleen) Lower Ridge project will happen in September. Post and Cable of Upper Gulch in August. Turbitity meters have been installed data being collected.
Lefthand Challenge Route grant (Shawn) Discussed project possibilities for the upper route.

3) Road Signing
Rock Creek (116) signing completed August 11.

4) Adopt-A-Road / Project
Jenny Creek Kiosk installed. Shown on 9 News.
Gold Lake Road 372.1 project, solution for end of road closure.

5) Lefthand Motorized Trails (Bill, Dave) Cut in drainage for trail. Completed route improvements.

6) Restoration Projects (Cat)
Park Creek restoration project done in August.

8) Rollins Pass (John)
No update.

------------------------
Mission/Direction:
To coordinate and implement volunteer projects on the Boulder Ranger District related to the maintenance of OHV recreation.
Education - Restoration - Information Test for projects: is it signing? erosion control? restoration?
keeping the public on the route? education? re-establishing closures of previous decisions?
------------------------

Adam Mehlberg 3jeeps@cohvco.org 3jeeps@frii.com Trailridge Runners 4WD Club Secretary

Red_Chili
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Nope, can't go... so we need club representation!

Fixing to go hunting, and I need every evening this week or I won't be ready!

ArloGuthroJeep
09-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Two in a row Bill, you're slipping! :D

Red_Chili
09-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Yep, physically impossible for me to carry our involvement in Boulder Ranger District. Just can't keep doing it!

Mebbe someone will step up who is closer?

AxleIke
09-25-2007, 11:17 AM
What needs to be done?

I can go, but do I just show up, or do I need to have anything else?

Red_Chili
09-25-2007, 12:08 PM
You just show up, take notes that might be of interest to the club regards Jenny Creek Trail especially, and notes on possible projects we might want to make the club aware of. Pretty simple! Plus you learn a lot. Adam is one of the premier land use guys in the state, if not THE guy. He knows how to work a system, runs a good meeting, keeps a coalition alive between greens and OHVers (no mean task!), and knows the district well.

Shoot Adam an email and ask to be put on the mailing list.

art hog
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I will be in Boulder working tomorrow, Im just down the road. I can make the meeting.

Red_Chili
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Sweet, thanks Terry! Mebbe AxleIke can join you.
Maybe we will finally find out if we need to modify the kiosk at Jenny Creek. I wouldn't bring it up were I you, though. Let them mention it.

AxleIke
09-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I will be there.

I'll take notes, but likely keep my mouth shut. If they ask, I will tell them that I'll pass along the questions to the club.

I can post the notes here if that is helpful, or just PM them to Mr. Morgan.

Red_Chili
09-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks, Ike!

AxleIke
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
EXTREMELY INFORMATIVE.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and plan to attend the next one.

The next meeting is Thursday, OCT 18th. At this meeting, it will be decided if any meetings will be held until Jan 08.

319 Grant-

Left Hand Post and cable completed, $ left over, so more projects are possible. Possible Fireman's Hill drainage fix.

Carnage Canyon discussed. Between upper and lower sites, upper site is favored for challenge route construction. Current route will be closed.

Directional route discussed, no consensus.

Basically, a new challenging route is favored. They need a grant written. Essentially what they need is a coordinator, someone to head up the project, get letters of support, a budget, and a breakdown, project by project. The new challenge route will be to keep hardcore folk from creating their own routes off trail.

The grant needs to include a proposal for a multi route plan, so that more than just the buggies can enjoy the trail, sort of like the current carnage is now, with several lines. there also needs to be a focus on recreation and time. Essentially, the commitee looks at this project as a waste. Why spend money on 4 miles when they can spend it on 26 for ATV's else where. The point must be made that 4 miles can take a group an entire day to complete because of the difficulty.

The FS is looking to produce a challenging route that is sustainable and maintainable. They would like to see rock crawler input, as they have no idea what needs to be done to make this challenging.

ROAD SIGNING: All challenge routes done, except Bunce School. There are a few updates and new signs needed there. (bear with me on the list, it was read extremely fast, and I'm not sure I got it right)

Signing needed at:

Jumbo mtn
Park Creek
Button Rock
Chipmunk trail
TP route
Spring Gulch
Mammoth
Lump Gulch (after Fuels project is completed)
(more, but they lost me here)

Jenny Creek Signage update (Terry told them he'd ask Bill about the progress)

JENNY CREEK KIOSK

Forrest Service needs to look at Kiosk. From the images they've seen, it needs modification, as there are some questionable additions that they need to look at. A decorative piece was mentioned, and if this piece exists, it will need to be removed.

Congrats to RS for the Kiosk.

OTHER TRAIL MAINTENANCE:

Middle St Vrain- TRR will be doing a run, and working with the FS to fix an illegal bypass on Beaver Reservoir side.

Jumbo MTN: new closure planned

Taylor Road needs to be addressed before January Closure. This will be discussed next meeting.

RESTORATION:

Park Creek-Complete, varioius new route closures.

LeftHand- Complete, very successful, Fireman's Hill restoration is the next step.

Goldenage (?) mine resto- DONE.

Adopt a Trail procedure discussed for benefit of new club (didn't catch the name).

Meeting Adjourned.

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Isaac, you do a way better job at reporting than I do. I got a phone call from Terry as well. THANK YOU TWO for doing this, beers on me!

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Great report! Thank you guys for attending and representing us! :thumb::thumb: :beer2:

AxleIke
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I just PM'd Bill, and I will copy my message here:

If the club consents, I would like to look into becoming the coordinator for the project they've proposed at Carnage. I am a good writer, and have my father's grant writing knowledge to draw upon. He is a branch chief at the National Park service and has written hundreds of gov't grants, so he knows what they like to hear. I've got the time, and assume I can draw upon your knowledge as well.

ArloGuthroJeep
09-28-2007, 08:47 AM
319 Grant-

Left Hand Post and cable completed, $ left over, so more projects are possible. Possible Fireman's Hill drainage fix.

Just to add, the money has also been ear marked for adding obstacles to that area this next year, not just the drainage issue.

Adopt a Trail procedure discussed for benefit of new club (didn't catch the name).

That was me, asking for Rock Frogs:D

Nice report:cheers:

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
You have my full support! That is way above awesome Isaac!!!! :thumb::thumb:

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Mine too!
I guess I can support the Rock Frogs too. I guess...

:lmao: