PDA

View Full Version : New job: when one door closes, another one opens

Hulk
09-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I started a new job on Monday.

As many of you know, I've owned my own business for nearly 6 years, doing graphic design, advertising and web site development. This summer, I faced some hard decisions. My business has been stable, but never quite reached the level I had desired when I started it. The lease on the Idea Shop office was up at the end of August. In June, the new owners of my office complex told me that they wanted to raise my rent by 40%. I started thinking that maybe I should simply move my office back to the basement of my house, which is where I started.

Then in early July, Ross, my head designer, told me he had fallen in love with a girl from Canada and planned to move to Toronto. He would continue to work for me remotely, if I was interested. So this made the idea of moving my office back to my home even more attractive -- after all, I didn't need to provide a space for Ross to work.

It was a really hard decision to abandon my office space. I'd painted it, bought furniture for it, and won clients simply because I had an office (in at least a couple of cases). Giving it up was tough. It tasted like failure, even though I knew most of my clients wouldn't care where I was working from.

So move I did. In late August, we moved most of my stuff to our basement (shout out to Perry for some much needed help). I rented a storage space for the rest.

My very first day back in my home office, I had a meeting with one of my clients, WildBlue Communications, to talk about an on-going project. In fact, the project had stalled because my main contact at WildBlue had taken another job. The head of the department asked me if I'd be interested in applying for Thomas's job. I said "Yeah, maybe..."

I wasn't really looking for a job -- yet. I won't lie: the thought had crossed my mind. I had prepared a resume, but I hadn't started a job search. And I wasn't sure I was going to.

After some interviews, WildBlue made me an offer that was simply too good to pass up. The most important part is that it's a super interesting job. I'll be in charge of all the company's marketing communications and the content on their web sites.

And who is WildBlue? Here's the web site (http://wildblue.com/). They offer high speed internet connections via satellite. You get a dish on your house similar to DirecTV. Their target market is people who live in rural areas who want something better than dial-up internet service, but can't get DSL or Cable. (Terry Holben up in BlackHawk has the service).

It was one of those events that really shows that God is looking out for me. And as I said in the title of this thread, when one door closes, another opens.

Ahem. I should finally get to the point: if you see me on the RS forum less, there's a reason. :)

Matt

60wag
09-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Good luck. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Ron Helmuth
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
too excited to sleep

congrats

bskey
09-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Congrats! WildBlue needs service in Westcliffe, CO (80231). My folks live there and have gone through 3 servers who are all locals who really dont have the backing to do this.

Anyway, congrats on the new direction in life. That must take a load off not having the whole business on your shoulders.

Uncle Ben
09-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Ohhhh the fear of change and the unknown..... Matt, I have no doubt you will excel with this new adventure like you always do! You are very bright and focused....you can do it! Good luck sir! :thumb::thumb::)

MDH33
09-26-2007, 08:59 AM
awesome. :thumb:

You'll probably start out feeling some angst/animosity about no longer being your own boss. ;)

But that steady paycheck, benefits, paid vacation and security are nice too. :D

nakman
09-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Congrats Matt, sounds like a great move for you & your family.

So are you still moonlighting Ideashop part time from the basement?

Red_Chili
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Congratulations, Matt!

My spidey sense tells me change of some sort is in my future too...

Inukshuk
09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Way to go Matt!

So do I ask you why the WildBlue.com site is:
"Service Temporarily Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache Server at www.wildblue.com Port 80"

:rolleyes:

wesintl
09-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Congrats Matt!

That's certainly a big change for you. You are very talented both personally and professionally. Good luck on the integration. I'm sure they are very pleased to have you!

Rezarf
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Blessings to you Matt in your new venture! Sounds like a good fit bro, have fun with it. My life's motto is "make a life, not a living!" :D Nothing like waking up and loving what you do.

Drew

Hulk
09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
So do I ask you why the WildBlue.com site is:
"Service Temporarily Unavailable. www.wildblue.com (http://www.wildblue.com)

Looks like it's up now. Weird.

Hulk
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
So are you still moonlighting Ideashop part time from the basement?

That's the plan. I plan to support existing customers for sure. I'll be pretty selective about taking on new customers, since my time to learn their business will be limited. Of course, anything Toyota 4x4-related will get preferential treatment. I'm planning to continue as webmaster for TLCA.org

Jacket
09-26-2007, 12:00 PM
From your description, that sounds like a really good gig, and won't be too tough of a transition for you. Is WildBlue a public company, or still private?

Congrats from one of the other Matt's!

Hulk
09-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Private for now. May go public in the future.

RockRunner
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Congratulations

So in fact you now have two jobs.................You can still run your own business and your new job. Just think of all teh parts you would be able to afford ;)

Hulk
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Just think of all teh parts you would be able to afford
Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. :D My wife has other plans. :( We shall see...

gcmandrake
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Congrats from yet another Matt and good luck.

the Other Matt

Romer
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
My name isn't Matt , but congrats

You are no longer "the man" you now work for "the man" except you are still moonlighting and will be "the man" part time. I'm so confused :D

Chris
09-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Congratulations Matt!

Sounds like a great opportunity, happy for you! :thumb:

corsair23
09-27-2007, 02:27 AM
Amazing how sometimes things just work out the way the do :cool:

Congrats on the new job, being able to keep the business, saving money by no longer paying rent, etc. etc. :thumb:

timmbuck2
09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
My name isn't Matt , but congrats

You are no longer "the man" you now work for "the man" except you are still moonlighting and will be "the man" part time. I'm so confused :D

Congrats! But it you are da man...and you stick it to da man.......aren't you sticking it to yourself? I am sooo confused.....

:p:

Uncle Ben
09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Congrats! But it you are da man...and you stick it to da man.......aren't you sticking it to yourself? I am sooo confused.....

:p:
Absolutely....continuously! :rolleyes: ;)