PDA

View Full Version : Who had two or more jobs at once?

acon40
09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Just bored and wondered. I work full time and have a good job. But making ends meet gets a little rough from time to time. I wish I could get some frelance work in design or photo since I do that from time to time, but I have to ask... How do you do a second job? I have 3 dogs, I am getting married and have so little time as it is? I am not sure if it would help (with bills yes) or just strain things at home if I had to get a second out of house job. Thoughts?

Uncle Ben
09-27-2007, 08:48 PM
If your wife continues to work after you get married things will even out usually. The trouble is you will get used to what ever income you have and you will spend more so you'll still be broke! ;)

IanB
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
If your wife continues to work after you get married things will even out usually. The trouble is you will get used to what ever income you have and you will spend more so you'll still be broke! ;)

Too true. I finding spending increases with income, soemtimes disproportionately :rolleyes:

Chris
09-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I have 3 dogs, I am getting married and have so little time as it is?

Day job + 3 dogs + getting married = 3 jobs, pick up one more but decide which of the existing you don't want anymore.

I agree with UB, it'll work out. :thumb:

Shark Bait
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I work 3 jobs. It's helping, but not as much as I'd like. :eek:

Romer
09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I work 3 jobs. It's helping, but not as much as I'd like. :eek:

I thought you quit your Chippendale's job:confused:

Rezarf
09-27-2007, 11:24 PM

Made me spit my water out Romer! :lmao:

I think jobs should allow you to be content, but when we get complacent... then it is time to look for something else.

Shark Bait
09-27-2007, 11:51 PM

After you showed up they didn't want me anymore. :lmao:

bskey
09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Ha!

Don't spread yourself too thin being a newly wed. Not a good time to put additional stress on the marriage if you an afford not to. Obviously, you have to do what you need to, but don't risk the health of your marriage; it's what will get you through regardless of the financial situation!

corsair23
09-28-2007, 02:05 AM
I've had up to three jobs at one time and it sucks...

Personally it seems like you are plenty busy as it is so I'd look into cutting expenditures or finding a better paying job than what you have now (assuming that would be something you'd want to do).

Honestly, depending upon how much extra $$ you make on the second job, sometimes in the end it isn't worth it due to increased taxes etc. Something you'd have to look into based on what you make now plus what you think you'd bring in doing the second job. It is possible to shoot yourself up to the next tax bracket which then affects every $$ you make, not just the extra :eek:

BPMOU
09-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I have a decent full time job, but have always had a second job serving tables three nights a week. For me, I am only away an additional 10-15 hours a week, and my family comes into eat at the restraunt once a week so it really amounts to a couple of evenings. For us the additonal money each month has paid for our wedding in 04, and this year it has really helped with allowing my wife to only work a couple of days a week at her job and now being able to stay home with are 23 day old daughter Addison, while really focusing on her personal in-home dog training business so that she can work out of the home as the baby gets older.

Like I said I've been doing it for a while, and I even quit my second job for a few months but I found that we ended up spending more money when I was home every evening. So I went back.

If it isn't something that you are used to, you make look at cutting expenses before throwing another coal in the fire. If you decide to do it, take a look at serving tables. If you can find a decent to busy restaraunt, you can make anywhere from $15-30 hour. Show me another part time job that pays that.

BogusBlake
09-28-2007, 08:37 AM
I did the moonlight thing for a while. It started as a way to get "in" at a company I thought I wanted to switch full time to. I ended up having a lot more money for two reasons- I was spending all my time working which meant more coming in, and I was never home or had much free time to go spend said money so it accumulated.

Then came tax time. :( That second job wasn't getting taxed very hard at the front end, so I really had to pay at the back end.

Not worth it IMO. But you do what you have to do.

BPMOU
09-28-2007, 09:03 AM
I did the moonlight thing for a while. It started as a way to get "in" at a company I thought I wanted to switch full time to. I ended up having a lot more money for two reasons- I was spending all my time working which meant more coming in, and I was never home or had much free time to go spend said money so it accumulated.

Then came tax time. :( That second job wasn't getting taxed very hard at the front end, so I really had to pay at the back end.

Not worth it IMO. But you do what you have to do.

I hear you on the taxes. You really have to look at the big picture and what your withholding is, for me serving tables I make 3.13 an hour because I'm tipped, but I fill out my with holding so that they take 100% of the hourly wage for taxes.

I can say that one point I was in between restraunts and wanted a new snowboard so I worked at Gart's for a few months for a discount and that was not worth it at all, a few days work each week and then barely $200 for a bi-weekly check was hardly worth the time (my snowboard was a good deal so that partially made up for it).

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
From time to time I need some extra labor if your interested. It would be on a cash basis so you would be responsible to claim it on your taxes if you choose. I just write it off as temporary sub contract labor. No Macs anywhere but a good pair of leather palm gloves and the ability to think for yourself so no one has to hold your hand and teach you what work looks like and we could definitely help each other out! :thumb:

acon40
09-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice input guys. Yea, with the house, cars and bills we are we pay more then we make. I am very lucky to have parents that help us out and pay a majority of the little bills here and there as before we moved here we had a apartment that just put a very sour taste in our mouth about renting. It's all worked out for the better and we couldn't be happier. The soon to be wife works at a coffee shop and serves at a local place during lunch. She might be a bartended in a few months there and if that happens this wouldn't even be a issue.

I think I am going to cut back on spending and see what goods I don't really need (no cruiser stuff....I need it all haha) but you know where I am going. I agree that a steady second job might stress things out to much.

Uncle, from time to time I might be game.

Maddmatt
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=BPMOU;47267]stay home with are 23 day old daughter Addison, QUOTE]

Hi-Jack on. Nice name, my Addison turned 6 this summer!

Hi-Jack off.

Two jobs can be rough, and its often not worth the effort. As had been said, I would probably look at cutting expenses, finding a better paying first job, or really applying yourself and trying to move up at the job you already have. That can get you too though, many years ago I was labor on an asphalt crew. It was a small crew, the grunts consisted of just myself and my room-mate. I was deep in debt, so I asked the supervisor how I could earn more. He said if I really busted my ass for a week he would try to get my 50cents more per hour (that meant something in 1989!).

So I worked like I never worked before. At the end of the week he said I really proved myself, so he cut my room-mate's wages by 50cents, and said "there, now you make 50 cents more." True story. Luckily the mountain opened 3 weeks later, we put our skis on and forgot about that job.

treerootCO
09-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I used to take in design work on the side to supplement my income. The day I upgraded my PC to Windows Vista put a stop to that. Labor type jobs pay very well if you don't mind burning a weekend every now and then. Tile work is easier than laying carpet so just pick one you like and try not to kill yourself working too hard. My second choice would be to find a nice union job and milk the overtime.

Groucho
09-29-2007, 12:17 PM
For most of the summer I have been working sundays at the Georgetown Loop Railroad as an Engineer/Fireman, leaving the house at 6am and returning at 6pm. This coupled with working for the family biz m-f 50+ hours/week, leaving for work at 4am, getting back at 5pm, plus 3 saturdays a month from 5am to noon. It has been tiring.

However, the money from the GLRR has paid for a birthday, anniversary, and helped get me a new ham radio. I can't complain too much.

Rzeppa
10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes, I have worked 2 and even 3 jobs at various points. When I was working 3 jobs I was also going to school full time and had a new baby at home! Talk about no sleep! Optimal is one good paying, fulfilling job that doesn't take all your time to be with your family and the things you'd rather be doing. But life isn't always optimal, and sometimes you do what you have to do to pay the bills and work toward your goals.

Keep an eye on those goals, and take the steps you need to take to get there, re-evaluate both the goals and the steps from time to time, and make mid course corrections as necessary.

Balance in life is VERY important to one's sanity, however being unbalanced for some finite period of time (working too much for example, or not having enough money to pay the bills being another example) can put perspective on life and help you appreciate it when things are going better. Best of luck!

waggoner5
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
A few years ago I had a boat manufacturing facility in Ft Lauderdale, stereo shop in Ft Worth, 2 machine shops in Ft Worth, and a boat repair shop in Ft Worth, all running at the same time. This is the reason I am here now with no job. OK money, but no life. Now I have a wonderful life, but no money.