PDA

View Full Version : I need me an upright freezer!

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
So my lovely bride is reluctant to spend money on a freezer. Our chest freezer is full, our side by side has room.

It's denial. Because we are going antelope hunting ('we' = four peeps with six tags between them), and after that I am going elk hunting (cow and bull). Now, buying a freezer for elk *might* be hubris, but buying a freezer for antelope is a little like planning on the sun rising tomorrow.

So anybody got one they would like to part with?

I might need to pick it up post haste on Wednesday or Thursday next week, obviously with leaving in the morning picking it up before then might be, um, ambitious.

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 10:04 AM
While we do have one in the garage right now unplugged it is with hope that it will again be plugged in this November so in short, no, not going to get rid of it. However, knowing how many of these beasts get passed around when someone want to reclaim the lost space and someone else need hard frozen storage I would think a quick search on Craigslist would find several within' short driving distance from your brides nest! (Hows that for a long run on sentence?) Search, young man, search! 6 Prairy goats should easily fit in your ARB fridge shouldn't they? :rolleyes: :D

nakman
09-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I've got a fridge with freezer on top that you can have. Typical older meduim-sized fridge, nothing fancy. It's currently outside on the deck, scheduled to be hauled off when the new fridge arrives next Friday. If you want it let me know and I'll tell you how to get it.

And for that matter, if anyone else wants this thing (or the stove, or the stackable washer/dryer all of which are working they're just old) please let me know and you can have them.

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Nakman! The problem is, I need only freezer space. Enough for 6 antelope and two elk (ok, ok... most likely 6 antelope with the possibility of one elk).

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
While we do have one in the garage right now unplugged it is with hope that it will again be plugged in this November so in short, no, not going to get rid of it. However, knowing how many of these beasts get passed around when someone want to reclaim the lost space and someone else need hard frozen storage I would think a quick search on Craigslist would find several within' short driving distance from your brides nest! (Hows that for a long run on sentence?) Search, young man, search! 6 Prairy goats should easily fit in your ARB fridge shouldn't they? :rolleyes: :D
Ain't got an ARB fridge dood! And no, they won't.
I did see a few on Craigslist, thought I would start here. Sometimes used freezers from strangers (stranger than here?) result in spoiled meat, knowwhutImean?

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Ain't got an ARB fridge dood! And no, they won't.
I did see a few on Craigslist, thought I would start here. Sometimes used freezers result in spoiled meat, knowwhutImean?

Hmmmm....6 goats = 12 lbs of meat :hill:

Both of our upright freezers were bought used and both work very very well. The big one was a "haul it out of here and it's yours" kinda deal and the smaller one was $40 IIRC.... Not much to fail in a freezer as long as the door seal is in good shape! Make sure it doesn't smell like spoiled blood, however! That smell will never go away and will permeate the food inside! Craigslist has a give away section too...might scan that.....

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Fair 'nuff! Mebbe I'll do an emergency scan when we get back to town and have coolers full of the prairie's finest. I think I'll debone fully in the field this year, my hunting mates call me Dr. Bill because I don't use a saw! Hate bone chips.

87Xota
09-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Probably pretty hard to find a red one though Bill;)

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Fair 'nuff! Mebbe I'll do an emergency scan when we get back to town and have coolers full of the prairie's finest. I think I'll debone fully in the field this year, my hunting mates call me Dr. Bill because I don't use a saw! Hate bone chips.

Bill, I will keep an eye peeled and I bet I'll secure one for you soon....

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Bill,
Want this one?

sale-433308582@craigslist.org (http://boulder.craigslist.org/zip/433308582.html)

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Not an upright... is it? Can't find that model. A chest would do in a pinch I guess, but hard to find stuff in the chest we already have. Problem is, I can't get up there to pick it up.

There's this... (http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/428236764.html)

Uncle Ben
09-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Not an upright... is it? Can't find that model. A chest would do in a pinch I guess, but hard to find stuff in the chest we already have. Problem is, I can't get up there to pick it up.

There's this... (http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/428236764.html)

I would be happy to check it out and pick it up it just boils down to if it's what you want....it does appear to be a chest type

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 12:02 PM
A big one too. For free, it will get me out of a pinch. If you are willing, and can meet me during the day maybe next week when we get back in town - SURE!

Then if we eat our way through what we have I can pay it forward and help someone else.

treerootCO
09-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I have an upright freezer in my basement I am not using. I wouldn't be able to get it to you without help though. I refrain from moving freezers by myself after the injury.

Red_Chili
09-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah, NO DOUBT. If the first one falls through I will contact you! I will need it in a hurry about Wednesday though, if that works for you. I will bring two teenage boys and a tired dad if we do.

Uncle Ben
09-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Soooo...I haven't heard from anyone yet....do I need to pick up that freezer, is it already gone, did William decide to try making his own out of styro and hot glue? Maybe William decided to have 20 tons of ice delivered to his new garage? My guess is no matter how cold he tries to freeze it, being within a mile of Red Chili II.5 will cook the meat to a crisp just from the sun glare! :lmao: :bowdown::bill:

Red_Chili
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey UB, I never heard back from the guy. Did you?

We got two antelope out of six tags (my excuse is that most of my time was spent with two newbie hunters and I passed up a lot of shots, but truth be told, I missed two shots I should have gotten despite hellish wind. However, I DID get a nice buck within 15 minutes of legal shooting that is an improvement on the one on my wall currently!). Also, truth be told, it about wore me out just carving the two we got, and I am grateful I didn't drop another on the last morning of hunting. We managed to squeeze the 'lopes into existing freezer space, but lemme tell ya if I get an elk here in two weeks we gonna be hurtin'.

Lemme know what I need to do, if you heard back from him and got that freezer!

Uncle Ben
10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey UB, I never heard back from the guy. Did you?

We got two antelope out of six tags (my excuse is that most of my time was spent with two newbie hunters and I passed up a lot of shots, but truth be told, I missed two shots I should have gotten despite hellish wind. However, I DID get a nice buck within 15 minutes of legal shooting that is an improvement on the one on my wall currently!). Also, truth be told, it about wore me out just carving the two we got, and I am grateful I didn't drop another on the last morning of hunting. We managed to squeeze the 'lopes into existing freezer space, but lemme tell ya if I get an elk here in two weeks we gonna be hurtin'.

Lemme know what I need to do, if you heard back from him and got that freezer!

I haven't heard a thing.....is it still on CL?

Red_Chili
10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Nope.
Root, I may be able to take yours. If still available.