PDA

View Full Version : to build or buy

acon40
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
So i picked up that Outback Roof Rack of craigslists. It's got the mounts for 100 series, but he only wanted $500 so why not. Now, i called Slee, but he won't sell the 80 mounts by themselves. So I am going to fire a email off to the company to see if I have any options, but to? I don't have the tools to do it so I would have to bug one of you guys from the board, but I would make it worth it......thoughts?

nakman
10-01-2007, 10:45 AM
So you're looking for some custom gutter mounts?

Rezarf
10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I am totally enjoying in and all things welded right now. I love the old Con-ferr Bulldog clamps, they can be copied very easily.I would be glad to help Tim, just give me a hollar.

acon40
10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Rez,

If you are game, I would love to bo it. Beer on me and snack hahaha....yea and the damn materials too...

nakman
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Well Nathaniel has already got these designed, ready to placed into an order to be stamped out and made. IIRC the cost was around ~$20-$25 per clamp, but varied quite a bit based on how many was in the order. To do it right, you need 6 of them (3 per side). Maybe it's time to finally put together a group buy and get these going, I'd probably be in for a couple.. I'll shoot him a PM.

acon40
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Keep me posted, i need it asap.

acon40
10-01-2007, 03:32 PM
slee is the only source as he is the us importer so it looks like they must be built.

nakman
10-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Ok any/all new interst please direct those to the new "group buy" thread- looks like we're about there with covering the minimum, but still plenty of room for more to play. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4925

Acon, how asap do you need these things, you got a big trip planned or something? I could probably loan you mine until our new ones come in, or just loan you my Conn Ferr, etc. I sure don't need a roof rack over the next two weekends.

farnhamstj
10-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm interested in those 100 series mounts if you end up getting the rack.

sleeoffroad
10-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Alex, we do not sell the mounts on their own to people that do not own a rack. The reason for this is that we import the racks and a certain number of fit kits. If I sell all the fit kits, I will be stuck with racks without feet. A lot of people want to buy just the fit kits since that is the difficult part to make.

Typically we will sell a set of 80 and 100 mounts to the same person if they have both trucks. This case is a little different, so we will sell the fit kit since you did get a rack, even if it was 2nd hand.

I believe when you spoke to Ben he mentioned that he has to check with me if we could do it.

acon40
10-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey thanks for the input. I was under the impression that he couldn't sell the mounts and I agree 100% as to why not to. On a imported part I understand how you could get stuck with it and I don't blame you. I must have missed that part about asking you as I don't remember that, but regardless I was not worried or upset. Just made a call to see if it was even a option. I will contact you Thursday.