PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever follow someone to ask them about their truck?

Jacket
10-02-2007, 09:50 AM
So I'm driving on S. Boulder Road this morning heading to work, and I see this beautiful old Toyota heading the other way. Best I could tell, it was a completely stock 85'ish white 4Runner with an excellent body, SFA, nice looking top, etc. There was an old, grey-haired guy driving that thing, and I almost flipped a Uturn and chased him down. I wonder if he really knew what a nice truck he has! I wonder if I could buy it from him for a couple thousand....

Then I saw a nice 96'ish LX450 behind me in my rear view mirror - totally stock with an older Asian dude at the wheel. Again, I'm thinking this guy doesn't know what a nice, capable truck he has.

Do you guys find yourself doing this? Admittedly, I mostly admire Toyotas, but occasionally I'll stare at a Land Rover or an old Bronco. I especially like the hidden gems - classic, stock Toyotas that have probably been driven around town their whole life out here in the West, with maybe an occasional visit to a camping spot. :thumb:

Maddmatt
10-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I've never chased anybody down, but I've delayed my departure from gas stations, etc... to chat. Reactions run from the nice, happy to talk about their vehicles folks to the grabbing the children and backing slowly away "strangers are the devil" type.

Hulk
10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Been doing this for years. Always interesting. I never talk to anyone with an 80/100 series unless it's been modified in some way -- they're still too modern. But the older Cruiser owners (and 4Runner and truck owners) always have love for their old vehicles and want to talk.

Most recently, I met an older couple in Ouray over Labor Day weekend with a beautiful restored FJ45 pickup. Took a few pictures of it -- I'll have to post them up sometime. They had it restored at Proffitt's Cruisers. :)

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I think I know the truck you described. I have spotted a couple cherry's like that in the area that I hope one day will have a for sale sign on them! Have you spotted the two tone Gray/Blue FJ-62 yet with the older gray haired man driving it? That thing looks like it just came from the showroom! I spoke to him once at Chili's and he loves that truck since he bought it new! He's not into Cruisers but he does have only Toyotas in his garage! :)

I have followed a couple times. I have even embarrassed myself and after "stalking" a Toy for what seemed like "too far" I decided to not stop. Most of the time at least Cruiser folks know what they have (pre 91) One thing that I have noticed lately is the older Cruiser owners are recognizing the later model Cruisers more. Wasn't that long ago that if I was in my 80 and I waved or said "nice Cruiser" to a 40 or 60 owner that they would ignore me more times than not....but that is definitely changing. (I know what your thinking but I'm talking about folks who DON'T know me :rolleyes:)

Boulder is a stock town! When you drive a modded Toyota it seems to disgust the hard core, drive 'em forever' Toyotaheads. Louisville definitely is an "any Cruiser is cool" town and we sure have a lot per capita around here!

Ron Helmuth
10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
jacket Matt-I actually talked with the older gentleman you describe with the 4Runner at last years 4WD parts fest at the Merchandise Mart and he had the solid axle conversion done at Off Road Solutions I believe it was. He had it done in winter of '05 I think it was and did not seem inclined to ever let go of that nice rig. Nicest (modified) 1st gen I have ever seen. Everything on the truck was complete and professional to look at. Heck of a nice guy, I think his name is Tom, and he seemed to recall exactly what every mod cost and the inherent issues hidden behind the scenes. I generally leave a business card on the windshield and ask them a leading question to get them to call me back......and that is what Tom did. Rig is based in Broomfield if I recall correctly.

drool drool

ArloGuthroJeep
10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I sometimes chase this Jeep that is always following me around...then I realize that I am just chasing myself:D

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I sometimes chase this Jeep that is always following me around...then I realize that I am just chasing myself:D

Sounds like a dog chasing his tail! ;) :lmao::lmao: :hill:

nuclearlemon
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
that's how windy city land cruisers came into existance. i stalked a guy at the hobby store, and from there, the two of us stalked every cruiser we could find in the chicago area.

Jenny Cruiser
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I followed Mike's built blue 80 home one day. He was on his way home from Guard duty and started making weird turns, but finally stopped in a parking lot to talk. He thought I was a terrorist. :rolleyes:

wesintl
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I often get followed in the 70. People want to know how I got it here. It does get old sometimes. It'll be tougher to keep up with me soon though.

Bruce Miller
10-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Buying a 100 series or turbo charging the 3B?

wesintl
10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Turbo on the 3b. I have all of the parts sans the turbo itself. I'm going junkyard hunting this weekend looking for a T3. If I don't find anything i'll buy one online. Custom 2 1/2 or 3 exhaust. :D

Jacket
10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
UB - When you mentioned blue/gray two tone, an image popped in my head, so I think I've seen that truck too. You are right though - this area seems to have a lot more stock trucks around.

It is kind of funny about the newer trucks. I see a lot of current gen Tacoma and FJ Cruiser drivers checking out my truck, and giving me "the nod" or "the wave", but I can't ever recall any older Toyota truck people giving me a second look. It seems to take one or two redesigns for a particular model to get added to the Toyota ring of honor.

This thread also reminded me of a time this summer when I was trying to follow (keep up with) a built 80 coming east out of the Eisenhower tunnel. It was pouring, and I was going pretty fast, but he was flying down the hill. I lost him around Georgetown I forget the guy's name, but I met him on the Blow off Work run this year. Nemo maybe.

Bruce Miller
10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Wes, we put 3" exhaust on the diesels here, trying to keep the EGT's as low as possible. All except for my 70 series. I won't turbo that. I like it just the way the factory built it. It's a good old man vehicle.

wesintl
10-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah that sounds good.. The problem is I also want it inside the frame rail and there is very little room between the frame rail and the tcase.

Romer
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
that's how windy city land cruisers came into existance. i stalked a guy at the hobby store, and from there, the two of us stalked every cruiser we could find in the chicago area.

I thought you were a stalker:D

Rezarf
10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I saw a later model BJ70 in boulder this morning, left hand drive, bfg's with a mtr spare... sweet looking rig!

I have chased down a cruiser and been chased down too. :D

I used to feel like the paparazzi when I would see UB's or Robbies rig around Louisville! I would chase them down just to look at them.

What I can't understand is in 1.5 years now I have had ONE FJ cruiser wave... I gave up last spring. I think when the hard top is on a few people get it, but only one built up black FJC in boulder has ever waved like he knew what was up... sheesh, some peoples kids. ;)

PabloCruise
10-04-2007, 05:30 AM
That is how I met FJBen. His Pig was parked in town, so I stopped to check it out. He came out of the store he was in w/ a cautious "May I help you?" as I am ogling his Pig...

:thumb: