PDA

View Full Version : Retirement plans?

treerootCO
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Who of the younger crowd have a 401K, Roth, etc. set up already? Also, who of the more experienced crowd want to admit they don't have a retirement plan set up already.

Just curious is all.

acon40
10-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Age 26
401k matched at 6%
10% into stock
0% into saving

per check

sno bored
10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't know if I'm part of the younger crowd but I have a 401k, and stocks.

wesintl
10-02-2007, 01:14 PM
401k, stocks, mutual funds, savings, Pera on the wife's side.

diversification...

Your throwing away $ if your employer has a match and your not contributing.

If you want some scary reading look up when social security will be insolvent...

Hulk
10-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a Roth IRA that I've had for nearly 10 years. A 401(k) from a previous job. Some retirement benefits from a plan at a previous job in Chicago -- took 7 years to vest fully, which is why I actually stayed 7 years. Just got a new 401(k) with the new job, too.

Plus I have an FJ40, which should appreciate, right?

corsair23
10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
401K, some stocks, CDs, savings, risky investments, etc...started at age 18 IIRC as even back then I had no delusions of ever seeing any Social Security benefits

All this done in the vain hopes I can retire early and enjoy life before I get too old and have to start wearing depends...

The key is to start as early as you can, invest as much as you can, and DON'T touch it unless absolutely, positively, you have to...and maybe not even then :)

Oh, and diversification is a good idea as much as you possibly can. Problem with keeping up doing the above is tough when you have the Cruiser affliction like we all do :D

wesintl
10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Oh, and diversification is a good idea as much as you possibly can. Problem with keeping up doing the above is tough when you have the Cruiser affliction like we all do :D

That's why you got to have a 40, 45, 55, 70, 80, and 100 series cruiser.. Diversification is key :eek: :D

ScaldedDog
10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
We've each got 401K's and IRA's, and I've got some money in PERA from a previous career, plus some taxable stuff. The big thing for us is debt avoidance: We're house shopping, and we're limiting our budget to whatever we can pay off in 10 years, when I'm 59.

In my head, I figure I'm going to have to live on 4% per year of whatever we've got at retirement. Need $100K/year (in future dollars)? Then you need $2.5M in the bank.

I gotta get back to work... :D

Mark

nakman
10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Am I a young guy or an old guy? Either way, looks like we're in the hunt with the rest of you. One big goal on my list though is setting up some sort of passive income stream, that will augment whatever savings we have/don't have. So rental properties, on line merchandise, information services, etc.. No I don't have anything going yet still just a lot of ideas up in the hopper at this point, but we'll get there.. I hope to retire in 20 years or less.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Q: who of the more experienced crowd want to admit they don't have a retirement plan set up already.

i will, but i have my reasons :D

i have treasures :thumb:

ScaldedDog
10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Q: who of the more experienced crowd want to admit they don't have a retirement plan set up already.

i will, but i have my reasons :D

i have treasures :thumb:

There's having a plan, then there's having enough in the plan. Fortunately, Treeroot didn't ask about the latter... :D

BTW, me too!! <><

Mark

bskey
10-03-2007, 10:45 AM
We're 25, and both have 10% going into our 401k's and I have a very small Roth... and should be saving more, but we managed to get ourselves into a large ($50k) hole in college, so instead of saving a ton, we have been paying down our debt. We'll be debt free by the end of the year (WOOHOO!!!!) and looking for a house, so then we'll be able to really start fully funding our Roth's too.

Honestly though, I'm putting most all of my eggs in the Powerball basket! Ha!!

Jacket
10-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Plus I have an FJ40, which should appreciate, right?

Funny - I used that line to market the idea of an FJ40 to my wife.

bskey
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Funny - I used that line to market the idea of an FJ40 to my wife.

Still driving a Tacoma, huh? ;) :cheers:

SteveH
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Load up 401(k)s, Roths, etc. especially to any extent that a company matches your contribution.

Have some investments (stocks, funds, whatever) that are not in retirement plans, so that if you need money, you don't immediately pay penalties for withdrawing. I'm using a Roth for a college fund (if needed), as I'm not wild about 529s. If you set up a Vanguard IRA, you can roll over all those silly small 401(k)s from former employers into one low-load, low cost IRA. Some employer plans are a real hose job as far as loads and fees.

treerootCO
10-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I put in 25% until I hit the government set limits and then roll the rest into investments. That may be a little odd but I figure the more I put in now the better. My company matches 100% up to a certain percentage as well. 10% goes into savings and I am debt free at the moment.

Rock Dog
10-04-2007, 06:36 PM
401K, Stocks (DRIPs have been woking for me, kinda on auto pilot), Roth IRA..
I agree that anyone that has an employer match 401K opportunity that is not taking advantage of it, is missing one of the best opportunities for a working schlub...