PDA

View Full Version : Gutter mount group buy

Groucho
10-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Nakman is correct. I have drawn up and prototyped replicas of the bulldog mounts using the old Con-Ferr mount as a sample. I tried to attach a .pdf so that you can look at the design, but my file was too big. If you want me to email it to you, send me a pm.

The brackets are powdercoated a durable gray color, called "Mock-Rock". But I could powdercoat any color the group wants. If you want them Clear Zinc Plated like the sample Con-Ferr was, that can be done but will cost $3 more.

Cost with powdercoating?

$25 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

Cost with clear zinc plating?

$28 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

60 brackets means that 10 people would have to commit to buying 6 brackets(3 per side of the truck) each.

Any interest?

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Nakman is correct. I have drawn up and prototyped replicas of the bulldog mounts using the old Con-Ferr mount as a sample. Attached is a .pdf of what the parts look like, if anyone is interested.

The brackets are powdercoated a durable gray color, called "Mock-Rock". But I could powdercoat any color the group wants. If you want them Clear Zinc Plated like the sample Con-Ferr was, that can be done but will cost $3 more.

Cost with powdercoating?

$25 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

Cost with clear zinc plating?

$28 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

60 brackets means that 10 people would have to commit to buying 6 brackets(3 per side of the truck) each.

Any interest?

I'll commit to 6 for future use.... 9 people to go....

acon40
10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I would do 6 also. Sorry, but I don't have time to set up the group buy....

nakman
10-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Ok I'm in for a set of 6 then. Counting Acon that's only 7 more folks needed.. who else? Also the cheaper powder coating is fine by me.. these will be the same color as my 40 rims, right?

And fwiw I've seen the prototype and it is very well built and super beefy.. it was just a little tight but I'm sure the bends will be refined in the production version. I can also bring a Con-Ferr to the meeting for comparison.

Groucho
10-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Sorry, but I don't have time to set up the group buy....

I'll take care of that.

Before I place the order, I would like 36 brackets committed and paid. That way I'm not out my own $$$ for 60 brackets.

As a group we need to decide if we want powdercoat or clear zinc plating. The group will get either/or.

From when I place the order it will be a 15 day turn to delivery.

And I'm in for 6.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I like the gray but will do the clear if thats the group preference. Groucho, do you have a Paypal or do you want $ at the meeting?

Groucho
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Ok I'm in for a set of 6 then. these will be the same color as my 40 rims, right?

And fwiw I've seen the prototype and it is very well built and super beefy.. it was just a little tight but I'm sure the bends will be refined in the production version. I can also bring a Con-Ferr to the meeting for comparison.

The "Mock Rock" color is different from the "silver pearlescence" that your 40 rims are(were). It is much more durable, and fairly attractive. I will bring my 80 to the meeting tomorrow, it has the 4 protos on it, plus it has a sample of what the "mock-rock" looks like.

The brackets are precision fab'd from both 3/16" steel and 10 GA(0.130") steel. Very worth the $$$.

Hulk
10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
So if I have the brackets, I could make my own roof rack?

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Loaded question.... :eek::rolleyes:

Groucho
10-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Loaded question.... :eek::rolleyes:
Tee-Hee!:lmao:

Matt, I am in the process of making cross-member supports for roofracks for just that reason. The idea is that someon could buy brackets and cross member supports and then put what they want for the cage. I know someone on mud has figured out that the ATV ramps from Home Depot or Harbor Freight work good for that reason, and another guy used electrical conduit, all for the cage. I am just simplifying the mounting process with the cross member supports, gutter brackets and possible brackets to facilitate 1" tube to be mounted easily to the cross member supports. That way, each joe-blow can build their roof rack to suit their specific needs.

I'll try to have samples at the meeting.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Joe-Blow, I am in the process of making cross-member supports for roofracks for just that reason. The idea is that someone could buy brackets and cross member supports and then put what they want for the cage. I know someone on mud has figured out that the ATV ramps from Home Depot or Harbor Freight work good for that reason, and another guy used electrical conduit, all for the cage. I am just simplifying the mounting process with the cross member supports, gutter brackets and possible brackets to facilitate 1" tube to be mounted easily to the cross member supports. That way, Matt can build his roof rack to suit his specific needs.

I'll try to have samples at the meeting.

Fixed it for you! :lmao:

nakman
10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Actually I believe our very own and beloved Green Machine here has used the ATV ramps with much success.

acon40
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
And I am to think this will work with that roof rack then...the african outback rack?

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 12:44 PM
And I am to think this will work with that roof rack then...the african outback rack?

I have the African Outback rack on my 80 that you can look at. I am not sure the Confer type brackets will work but they are similar. The AO rack is one of the nicest I have ever seen and the stock brackets are very thought out. If I had to guess I would say you could make Groucho's brackets work.

corsair23
10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Matt, I am in the process of making cross-member supports for roofracks for just that reason. The idea is that someon could buy brackets and cross member supports and then put what they want for the cage.

I'd be interested in a setup as well then...Need something to mount up my RTT and was in the process of collecting parts for a Thule rack but can easily change direction :D

Do you recommend 6 clamps total (3 per side) or 8 total (4 per side). I've seen both and wonder if 8 wouldn't be better (albeit more expensive) to distribute out the load, especially for RTTs and heavy loads up top. Hmmm...did I just call myself fat? :eek: :lmao:

wesintl
10-02-2007, 09:04 PM
what are we talking about $ wise? $125-130 for a set of 6?

I could probably be pursuaded to purshase a set.

nakman
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Total price would be $150 for a set of 6.

Jeff IMO you're fine with 3 per side for your RTT, but of course, MIB. On my 3/4 size Con Ferr I only run 2 per side sometimes, partly due to laziness but really didn't have that much load up there to begin with, so figured it's fine. If I were to really load it down, or when I run the RTT, I'll put the third pair up there. On a full length deal (one that goes over the sunroof) then 4 per side would be bomber, you could do whatever you wanted on the roof. But think of all the racks you see out there with just two sets of Yakima towers & crossbars... these blow those away.

Thanks for the new "groupbuy" thread, Wes! :bowdown: and heck I think we're there..

Acon - 6
Uncle B - 6
Nakman - 6
Groucho - 6

Hulk? - 6
Wes? - 6
Corsair? - 6 or 8?

I bet we can pick up a couple more at the meeting tomorrow.. Groucho let's pull the trigger! Man we should have done this a year ago. Let us know if you want cash, or paypal, or what.. :beer2:

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Jeff IMO you're fine with 3 per side for your RTT, but of course, MIB. On my 3/4 size Con Ferr I only run 2 per side sometimes, partly due to laziness but really didn't have that much load up there to begin with, so figured it's fine. If I were to really load it down, or when I run the RTT, I'll put the third pair up there. On a full length deal (one that goes over the sunroof) then 4 per side would be bomber, you could do whatever you wanted on the roof. But think of all the racks you see out there with just two sets of Yakima towers & crossbars... these blow those away.

My full length African Outback rack has three clamps per side and is one stout motha! There is very little flex when I crawl up on it even with the 100+# RTT mounted. I was concerned at first about only 3 clamps per side but it obviously depends on the rigidness of the rack!

LandBruiser
10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
You can get them for cheaper. I have a guys # that bought out the company who made the 4" ones.

IIRC I got my 8 for $100.
Then remember seeing someone say they got theirs for 10/piece. I can post a pic of them and get that contact # if you all are interested. A group buy would save alot!

Hants
10-03-2007, 07:06 AM
I won't be able to make it to the meeting tonight, but I'm interested.

Any chance you can post up a picture?

Thanks!

Beater
10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
no chance of doing aluminum? Anyway - I recommend 4 per side on anything over 60" of length, it you want it to stand up to real abuse. I have pics of my rangie using the 4 .25 inch thick mounted rack as a roof slider. Especially if you are going to put a tent up there, or really load it.

I can't spare the cash, or I would be in. I will probably attempt an aluminum foot in the middle of winter, but right now, I am considering selling my truck anyway..

Hulk
10-03-2007, 10:11 AM
You can get them for cheaper. I have a guys # that bought out the company who made the 4" ones.

IIRC I got my 8 for $100.
Then remember seeing someone say they got theirs for 10/piece. I can post a pic of them and get that contact # if you all are interested. A group buy would save alot!

You should post a picture and contact info for the company. Probably would be best to do this in a new thread, so this one doesn't get hijacked.

Hulk
10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
...but right now, I am considering selling my truck anyway..

Why? You jonesin' for a 100 series? FJ Cruiser? Another Land Rover?

nakman
10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I wonder if those cheaper ones you're thinking of are the "Quick n Easy" mounts.. which are definitely not the same deal. Yes, put up a picture please.

Groucho
10-03-2007, 10:41 AM
These are not quick n easy mounts.

A link to the page with a .pdf of the part is here (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4928).

I have placed the order for 60. I asked if the shop would take another look at the quote(the original was from april). They did and the price actually went DOWN :clap:to $22/each for powdercoated and $24/each for zinc plate.

The unit price includes a kit with 2 bolts, 5 flat washers, 3 lock washers and 3 nuts to complete the assembly.

Now I need to know what everyone wants: Powdercoat or Zinc.

I can let them know tomorrow after the meeting if anyone wants to look at the sample powdercoat color tonight at the RS meeting, but we need to decide. Majority rules.

Uncle Ben
10-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you sir! I am still good with either so let the majority speak up...

These are not quick n easy mounts.

A link to the page with a .pdf of the part is here (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4928).

I have placed the order for 60. I asked if the shop would take another look at the quote(the original was from april). They did and the price actually went DOWN :clap:to $22/each for powdercoated and $24/each for zinc plate.

So for 6 brackets it is $132 for p/c, and $144 for zinc. This unit price includes a kit with 2 bolts, 5 flat washers, 3 lock washers and 3 nuts to complete the assembly.

Now I need to know what everyone wants: Powdercoat or Zinc.

I can let them know tomorrow after the meeting if anyone wants to look at the sample powdercoat color tonight at the RS meeting, but we need to decide. Majority rules.

nakman
10-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Awesome! :bowdown: I would be fine with powder coated, but whatever it's all good can't wait!!

corsair23
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Quick question :confused:

Looking at the picture got me wondering, will the cross bars (whatever those end up being) clear a factory rack on an 80 series using these mounts? I hadn't planned on removing my factory rack as I'm one of the odd ducks that likes the look, and in general will only run with the "better" rack on trips where it is needed. That was one the really awesome things about the Thule rack I had on my Durango with the quick disconnect feet....easy on and off :)

Groucho
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Yes, I still have the factory roofrack on my 80, so the design will compensate for that as well.

Quick question :confused:

Looking at the picture got me wondering, will the cross bars (whatever those end up being) clear a factory rack on an 80 series using these mounts? I hadn't planned on removing my factory rack as I'm one of the odd ducks that likes the look, and in general will only run with the "better" rack on trips where it is needed. That was one the really awesome things about the Thule rack I had on my Durango with the quick disconnect feet....easy on and off :)

corsair23
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the answer Nathaniel...Looking forward to seeing the examples at the meeting tonight :thumb:

Groucho
10-04-2007, 08:35 AM
*UPDATED 10-4-07*

We are going to have them powdercoated "Mock Rock". Plating was voted out to powdercoat 2 to 0 last night at the meeting.

Thanks for the new "groupbuy" thread, Wes! :bowdown: and heck I think we're there..

Uncle B - 6
Nakman - 6
Groucho - 6
Hants - 6
Hulk - 6
Corsair - 6

Wes? - 6

:beer2:

Cosair, Hulk, you guys in?
I can accept paypal if anyone is interested, just pm me for my paypal info. Otherwise cash and check are cool.

acon40
10-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Pull me out. Slee responded in my other thread and it turns out he is going to sell me a set I need. That being the case, sorry I have to back out, but I am glad this came of it.:beer:

Hulk
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
OK, put me in.

corsair23
10-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Put me down for 6 :) - that mock rock PC looks nice so that got my vote :thumb:

Oh, and I'd be interested in 3 cross bars as well if those ever get past the development stage ;) - Should have looked closer at the drawings last night but would would the entire thing be swappable to a FJ40? Feet/clamps should work right, but would the cross bars fit to the shorter width of a 40's top, with some bar "hang over" (pun for the North Sider folks :lol:)

Groucho
10-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Got it.

The crossbars will have holes to compensate for a narrower roof. They are not far from being done. I'll post updates.

Put me down for 6 :) - that mock rock PC looks nice so that got my vote :thumb:

Oh, and I'd be interested in 3 cross bars as well if those ever get past the development stage ;) - Should have looked closer at the drawings last night but would would the entire thing be swappable to a FJ40? Feet/clamps should work right, but would the cross bars fit to the shorter width of a 40's top, with some bar "hang over" (pun for the North Sider folks :lol:)

Groucho
10-25-2007, 07:21 AM
I smell powdercoat on roofrack brackets..... we're getting close!

wesintl
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
am i out of is, or there still time to pay you... sorry I forgot about this.

Groucho
10-25-2007, 12:32 PM
am i out of is, or there still time to pay you... sorry I forgot about this.

I will have stock of at least 3 sets of 6 brackets(18 brackets). We x-posted to mud to see if there was any interest. If you want some, LMK.

Groucho
10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I am receiving these today. They look great. I just checked one on the 80 gutter this morning, and they work beautifully. Here are a couple of teaser shots.
I have payment from Hants, Cosair, Uncle Ben. I'll take cash or check from the others. Paypal only if absolutely necessary(Fees).
Wes, were you going to get in on this?

I will bring them(and the extras) to the meeting on the 7th, unless someone wants them sooner and I'll drop them off to you whenever.

wesintl
10-26-2007, 10:58 AM
yeah. can you pm the the paypal info and $ or i can send you a check, etc...

Groucho
10-26-2007, 12:25 PM
yeah. can you pm the the paypal info and $ or i can send you a check, etc...

Send me a check.

corsair23
10-26-2007, 01:38 PM
I am receiving these today. They look great. I just checked one on the 80 gutter this morning, and they work beautifully. Here are a couple of teaser shots.

I will bring them(and the extras) to the meeting on the 7th, unless someone wants them sooner and I'll drop them off to you whenever.

AWESOME :thumb:

Could you hold on to mine for me? I won't be at the November :( meeting 'cuz I'll be sunning myself on a beach in Floriduh :D - Or if you're going to be at the Spooky Night run I could grab them then.

corsair23
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I will have stock of at least 3 sets of 6 brackets(18 brackets). We x-posted to mud to see if there was any interest. If you want some, LMK.

I've seen at least one, probably more, threads in the 80s section about roof rack clamp options/ideas. I didn't post up in the thread as I wasn't sure what the overall inventory situation was. If you want, I'll find that thread and x-post the info as well as keep an eye out for other folks posting up looking for clamps.

Hulk
10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I still want a set. Nathaniel, can I give you a check on Wednesday night at the RS meeting?

Groucho
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Could you hold to mine for me? I won't be at the November :( meeting 'cuz I'll be sunning myself on a beach in Floriduh :D - Or if you're going to be at the Spooky Night run I could grab them then.

I can get them to you whenever you want. Some of my family lives in your general area, so dropping them off on a saturday/sunday would not be any sort of PITA. Just let me know when.:thumb:

I've seen at least one, probably more, threads in the 80s section about roof rack clamp options/ideas. I didn't post up in the thread as I wasn't sure what the overall inventory situation was. If you want, I'll find that thread and x-post the info as well as keep an eye out for other folks posting up looking for clamps.

Maybe there should be a new thread in the 80's section listing this info, and maybe a general thread in the merch storefront? I actually have 4 sets available(I was going to snag one set for myself, but if I can sell it, better yet!), and I can have more if needed. Jeff, lmk what you think might be good.

I still want a set. Nathaniel, can I give you a check on Wednesday night at the RS meeting?

You are on the list of people confirmed. A check at the meeting is perfect.

Thanks everybody!

nakman
10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Nathaniel those look beautiful man.. I've got cash for you and we can make the exchange the next time I see you. You going to be on the night run tomorrow?

Convert
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Nathaniel
Can I get a set of six? If so I will bring payment to the RS meeting
Thanks Dan

Groucho
10-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Nathaniel those look beautiful man.. I've got cash for you and we can make the exchange the next time I see you. You going to be on the night run tomorrow?

I won't be able to make it. I got stuck babysitting. Meeting?

Nathaniel
Can I get a set of six? If so I will bring payment to the RS meeting
Thanks Dan

Their yours! Meeting? Sounds cool.

That makes 3 sets of 6 left.

Hulk
10-26-2007, 04:30 PM

Could you hold to mine for me? I won't be at the November :( meeting 'cuz I'll be sunning myself on a beach in Floriduh :D - Or if you're going to be at the Spooky Night run I could grab them then.

Jeff, you could send Nathaniel a check, and I could pick up the brackets for you at the meeting.

corsair23
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Jeff, you could send Nathaniel a check, and I could pick up the brackets for you at the meeting.

Already sent him the $$ so whatever works is fine with me. If you can grab my set at the meeting then when the aux tank parts arrive we could meet up and do an exchange :thumb:

I'm in no hurry to get the mounts though 'cuz until Nathaniel gets the cross bars done I can't really use the mounts :hill: - No pressure though Nathaniel :cheers:

corsair23
10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Maybe there should be a new thread in the 80's section listing this info, and maybe a general thread in the merch storefront? I actually have 4 sets available(I was going to snag one set for myself, but if I can sell it, better yet!), and I can have more if needed. Jeff, lmk what you think might be good.

I'll find that thread and post up some info in it. Any others I see I throw a note in as well. Issue with MUD is you might suddenly get inundated with PMs if my feelings are correct :)

If you want to continue to make some up then yeah, I'd throw up a post in the vendor forum for sure :thumb:

Groucho
10-28-2007, 11:24 AM
RS members who want these go to the members only section.

nakman
11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey, just making sure you'll be at the meeting Wednesday, and us low lifes who haven't paid yet should come with cash in hand?

Groucho
11-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey, just making sure you'll be at the meeting Wednesday, and us low lifes who haven't paid yet should come with cash in hand?

Roger that, dude. I will have everything boxed and ready to go. See you guys at the meeting! :beer:

knorrena
01-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Are there any mounts left? If so, how might I purchase a set?

Karl

FJBen
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
back from the dead...

any mounts available? I just scored a rack ;)

Groucho
08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
back from the dead...

any mounts available? I just scored a rack ;)

Shure are. Let me know. I work in North Longmont, so it may be easy to get them to you.