PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Title Question

Shark Bait
10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
OK, so I have the title for this project 40 of mine, but it's un-signed. What do I need to do to get the title in my name? Should I have it signed (by the PO who might be around, or not)? I think I'll need emissions, yes? BTW, does anyone have a set of emissions wheels & tires I can borrow? I'm not quite ready, but I'd like to get this lined up.

TIA

Uncle Ben
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
OK, so I have the title for this project 40 of mine, but it's un-signed. What do I need to do to get the title in my name? Should I have it signed (by the PO who might be around, or not)? I think I'll need emissions, yes? BTW, does anyone have a set of emissions wheels & tires I can borrow? I'm not quite ready, but I'd like to get this lined up.

TIA

If you can get them to sign it it will save you several hoops! Also, make up a bill of sale and have 'em sign that too....will make your life much easier!

nakman
10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Actually bill of sale doesn't matter much, they go off the sales price that you write on the title. And yup, you're going to need to pass emissions.. then get the 5 year plates, but you knew that.

corsair23
10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Check or call the DMV and ask :)

Seriously though, you really should have a signed title and a signed bill of sale along with an e-test to get the vehicle registered in your name...That will net you a title in your name.

The trick is how do you get a e-test done on a vehicle that "technically" is not street legal (i.e. registered) yet? Answer is take the signed title and signed BOS down to the DMV and they'll give you a temp tag (good for 30 days IIRC) for like $5

Was the vehicle a CO vehicle when you bought it? If not, you'll have to get a VIN check done as well. E-test will do it for a charge OR you can do what I did - get a copy of the form, call your local county Sheriff department's non-emergency phone number, and request a Deputy come by to do the inspection. A deputy showed up within a couple hours when he had some time, was real nice, chatted about the 40, checked the VIN, signed the paperwork, and that was it...All free of charge ;)

As for tires, I guess if you get in a real pinch we could put my 40 up on stands, take off the tires, run your 40 up to the e-test place a couple miles from my house, and reverse the process...What tires do you have again? You may not get them back :hill:

wesintl
10-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Check or call the DMV and ask :)

Seriously though, you really should have a signed title and a signed bill of sale along with an e-test to get the vehicle registered in your name...That will net you a title in your name.

You can get a title without getting registration, 2 seperate things.

Title will need to be signed. A bill of sale will help facilitate things too.

For registration you need the sniffer test which you can then do at a latter date .

:cheers:

I loathe the dmv

treerootCO
10-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Jeffco requires a bill of sale that is signed, dated, and has the vin number referenced. Your 40 can go to the test with big tires. Any rig over 25 years old they don't put on the dyno test deal. Colorado Air Care Inc. is what you have to look up in the phone book but they can definitively answer your questions if you want to know ahead of time. Get the title first with temp tags (don't forget your proof of insurance) and then mess with Colorado Air Care Inc. If I was in your situation, I would call the PO and ask him to sign it. If he/she is too busy or out of state, go to the motor vehicles office and ask them for 3-4 power of attorney forms for motor vehicle. These forms are very specific and most people don't worry about signing them for you. You will need one to sign the truck over to you, one for the bill of sale, and a few more for random crap. Mail them to him and keep the title safe at home with you. As as added bonus, make it easy on the PO and send all this in a self addresses and stamped envelope. Spring for overnight if you want to convey a sence of urgency. Anything else, just call me. I am an expert when it comes to the motor vehicle dept.

nuclearlemon
10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Anything else, just call me. I am an expert when it comes to GETTING SCREWED OVER BY the motor vehicle dept.

fixed it for ya. :D

Shark Bait
10-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I think the PO is no longer available. :(

Boulder Cruiser
10-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Not to sound like a delinquent but ive signed titles over that are in my dads name when i sell one of my cars, the Dmv doesn't know what his signiture is, you can write it in and they wont know the difference unless the Po reports the car stole, etc. If the title is an out of state title then you will need to get the vin check, and you will obviously need to get the emissions done. I dont think you'll need a bill of sale either, it helps but not necessary (at least here in boulder).
I have a spare title/vin plate if you need one, i can sign it over to you.

Rock Dog
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Technically, if you have no Sales receipt and the Title is not signed, there is nothing but integrity that prevents the PO from applying for a duplicate Title....
Without a signed title, i believe it means that you have to apply for a new title (which involves a title search and so on... a real PITA... :mad:)

Shark Bait
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks. It's a CO title. I've got the VIN plate and need to install it. :D

PabloCruise
10-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Chris,

You can have my wheels and tires - free:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4937

Boulder Cruiser
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Technically, if you have no Sales receipt and the Title is not signed, there is nothing but integrity that prevents the PO from applying for a duplicate Title....
Without a signed title, i believe it means that you have to apply for a new title (which involves a title search and so on... a real PITA... :mad:)

Im pretty sure for the po to apply for a duplicate title the truck has to be inspected, because they need to make sure that its not a stolen car, since he doesnt have the truck it cant be inspected. But i could be wrong. How long have you owned the cruiser Chris? If its been a while i dont think you have any problems. But pm me if you need the title.

Shark Bait
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks TJ. IF no one else wants them, I'll take them. I'd have to put them on disc brake rims. Maybe I can talk Subzali out of a set. :eek::D

Rock Dog
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
It may be a colorado title, but in someone else's name, so you will have to apply for a new one in your name... As Kevin originally said, having the PO sign it will reduce the headache's.. and yes if you apply for a new title there will probably need to be a "Vin verification" done..

Boulder Cruiser
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh yea you can borrow the 60 wheels if you need them.

Rock Dog
10-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Im pretty sure for the po to apply for a duplicate title the truck has to be inspected, because they need to make sure that its not a stolen car

Not true. This happens when a title gets lost for example. If the person listed on the title filed with the Motor vehicle department requests a duplicate title (proven by 2 forms of ID), they will send them a "duplicate title", especially if the address has not changed. We have done this in the past for my older brother's pickup.
There is no checking to see if it is stolen, because the VIN is not different, and the OWNER is not different.... (No stealing from yourself unless you have multiple personalities).. It gets a bit trickier if there are multiple names on the title...

Boulder Cruiser
10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
When we lost the title to our boat trailer we had to have it inspected and they had to hold the boat/trailer for awhile, to make sure it wasnt a stolen. Guess its different for cars. My bad.