PDA

View Full Version : So I took my shiney mall crawler to the upscale meat market...

Red_Chili
10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Organic, of course. Parking was a bit of a problem, or so we thought - my favorite spot right next to the mall entrance was taken. Ah, no worries, plenty of spots.

There was a lot to choose from. The air conditioning seemed to be blowing a bit hard, especially during the evening entertainment. But the variety of organic meat was really inspiring, and we shopped the first day just to see what there was to choose from.

We got up early the next day with a goal in mind, I have a new recipe to try out and it required JUST the right kind of venison. I knew I had seen what I wanted the day before, but of course the store is restocked every night so one simply cannot be too sure where it will be the next day.

I chose this one:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204643413-L.jpg

Lots of parking at this mall. You can see our spot to the upper right of the muzzle. No, the shot was not THAT long, it was about half that distance (from the ridge visible), stalked in the semi darkness. I was not certain where they would be, but my spidey sense told me they liked these folds of land, which hid them from the road. The field was generous to me that day.
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204641436-M.jpg

Of course, with such natural meat, there is a bit of self service involved. I hate tarps, and with the wind at 45mph, I hate hair in my meat. Time for SuperRigger to invent something:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204641697-M.jpg

Justin got hisself a nice doe fawn (GOOD eating!), but with the crosswind placing the shot on a moving target was a challenge. Here, one avoids the disrupted internals and preserves as much meat as possible, only losing the tiny tenderloins:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204641808-M.jpg

Forrest is READY with deadly intent for the next morning's hunt:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204642300-M.jpg

Even in the Wyoming wilds, here are the gadget guys...
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204642863-M.jpg

And a fine way to end a fine day's hunt:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/204642977-L.jpg

Rezarf
10-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Bill, you are amazing man! What great shots, if you ever want to trade some of that "anti" meat for some corn raised Iowa deer, give me a shout :D

What a great trip... and your rig looks amazing man!

Drew

ArloGuthroJeep
10-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Nicely done:)

Red_Chili
10-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys. Hmmm, trade pronghorn for whitetail? Lemme think about it for a minute OKAY.

Squishy!
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Just don't be tradin my delicious young fawn for the whitetail :D But I would like to try some whitetail... :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Just don't be tradin my delicious young fawn for the whitetail :D But I would like to try some whitetail... :thumb:

HEY......Administrator! This is a family forum and this kind of suggestive content is not permitted! :eek: :hill:

wesintl
10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
nice turbo goat Bill! Iowa venison for me is only eclipsed a nice medium cow elk. I need to find me a good spot one day and get a one of these fine animals.

Rezarf
10-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I can get nearly all the Iowa deer anyone wants. Seriously. My brother-in-law gets tags from clients that need to thin out the herds on their property. He probably gets about 25-30 deer a year and can't get rid of it all. Farmers and ranchers get special tags (read lots of doe tags) to trim down the herds feeding on their crops and my BIL always seems to land TONS of tags, he trades his business service for the tags. These are simply deers that farmers don't want to deal with.

MMMMM... corn fed deer. :D

Red_Chili
10-08-2007, 06:39 AM
PM sent!

wesintl
10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I'll take as much as you can give me.. I have an empty chest freezer right now. My time with watching the little one may only afford me a weekend to find a cow so my chances are slim this year.

I've hunted Iowa a couple times. The doe population is WAY too high. 3 years ago I brought home 2 and took at least 6 on damage tags and donated them to local Amish.

JadeRunner
10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Nice job Bill. That SuperRigger looks handy.

Red_Chili
10-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, the GoatHoist beats a tarp in the Wyoming dirt & wind ANY day. Tarp = hair everywhere, dirt too. Nasty.

In Colorado, an elk hide makes a fine tarp. :D It would take a hoist two men would have to lift into place - not to mention bumper strengthening - to hoist a decent elk. Deer on the other hand...

JadeRunner
10-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Please clarify. Could I hoist an Elk with that thing from my rear bumper\receiver?

Ron Helmuth
10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
the new Red Chilli looks even better than the original version-lots of front articulation is possible it seems

Red_Chili
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Please clarify. Could I hoist an Elk with that thing from my rear bumper\receiver?
Not with that one. Too light weight. I really made it to compensate for lack of trees in Wyoming pronghorn hunting, maaaaybe for deer hunting on the plains. Using the winch means I can hoist an antelope with no assistance.

Antelope are, what, mebbe 120 lbs. for a monster? Figger an elk at ~600 lbs (cow, not bull!! Herd cow, maybe 750?), make sure your receiver could handle it! Also, I would not want to be the one to lift an elk up on it. It really works in conjunction with a winch. But if you had a come-along and an appropriate place to attach the come-along, it could be done. Put it in the front with a winch, much easier. The hock hanger part would need to be MUCH stronger.

We could come up with a tree hanger snatch block and skip the gantry part, just use the winch.

My buddy outdid my design in simplicity, he simply used rigid EMT fitted over a trailer ball, held up by straps. Without a winch, he needs help getting the animal on the hoisted unit. If it were altered to fit a receiver, it would be more stable. Even that wouldn't handle an elk though. Two tubes welded together vertically, maybe. And a VERY stout hinge to swing the end where it mounts to a receiver tube.

Some time this winter we could try some designs if you like. I hafta say though, an elk on the ground using the hide for a tarp is not too bad. Not very often do I envision dropping an elk where the vehicle can get to it. And getting the elk to the vehicle is usually a post-quartering operation! Pronghorn are playthings in comparison. Unless your friends are bigger than mine, and one of mine is 6'4", 220 fit pounds.

Red_Chili
10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
the new Red Chilli looks even better than the original version-lots of front articulation is possible it seems
Thanks much, the articulation is about the same as before, limited by the IFS frame and crossover steering on the compression. I do get lots of droop though, which it seems is a tad hard on the main leafs. I replaced both, one had broken in the rollover. The remaining good leaf had some twisting evident. It is now a spare.

Most of what I was after was the fender width, with the 15x10 wheels with 3.5" backspacing, the stance is a couple inches wider than before (a good thing for rollover protection of course). I got tired of mud spewed all over the sides from tiny little puddles. Now I have to protect the fenders.

It never ends.:hill:

JadeRunner
10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I hafta say though, an elk on the ground using the hide for a tarp is not too bad. Not very often do I envision dropping an elk where the vehicle can get to it. And getting the elk to the vehicle is usually a post-quartering operation! Pronghorn are playthings in comparison. Unless your friends are bigger than mine, and one of mine is 6'4", 220 fit pounds.

Point well taken. I always seem to have to de-bone and pack out anyway. We started using the gutless technique to de-bone on the hide a few years ago which sure is nice.

Red_Chili
10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
You'll have to enlighten me on that one.

JadeRunner
10-09-2007, 08:02 AM
You'll have to enlighten me on that one.

Here is a link describing the gutless technique. Getting the inner loins out is the tricky part.

Warning: This article covers graphic content not suitable for children or the squeemish

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27