PDA

View Full Version : FJ60 clutch, transmission jack - needed?

Turtle60
10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I am starting a transmission remove/replace and don't want to find out after the fact that I have the wrong tools. Should I use one? Is there a rental place around that has one? Getting started this afternoon.

Man Jerk
10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I have done it without, but it was kind of sketchy.

nuclearlemon
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
i've always used cherry pickers, but in an fj60, you don't get much room to work, so it requires three people.

Man Jerk
10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
i've always used cherry pickers, but in an fj60, you don't get much room to work, so it requires three people.

Ah yes. Cherry picker through the door. If I were to do it again I would do it this way.

mhdsummers
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I used two floor jacks and a home made "cradle" from an old steel framed creeper. The allowed me to raise and lower the tranny and case with only help from the wife.

A couple of other tips:

Get some 3-4 inch bolts the same size as the tranny mounting bolts. Cut the heads off and use them as studs to guide the tranny back in.

Pilot bearing removal tool
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=66170\
Worked like a charm.

BTW, I have the cradle, tranny studs and pilot bearing removal tool I made if you want to borrow them.

Turtle60
10-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the offer! I got the shift boots, handles and inspection cover off last night. I'll get the rest ready tonight and see how it goes. I had already bought a transmission jack adapter for my floor jack, so I'm going to try it first.