PDA

View Full Version : getting burned out/frustrated... :(

FJBen
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
:(

Maybe it's just seasonal depression hitting or something...but I've about had it...:eek:

I just keep having little problems and no time to do it and have not much at all to show...not too mention ZERO wheeling time this year. :rant: :( I've got a bunch to finish up and no time/money to do it. I just started with a band a few weeks ago so chop some time from that. My family comes first and I have 2 in school, 1 in kindergarten the other in pre. blah blah blah...have I whined enough yet??? :blah:

top it off I think I"m going through one of those "i'm not sure why I'm building this rig up soo much, I prefer the looks of mild/stock and clean." I'm honestly ready to fix the probs, and send her down the line and take a step back from it all for awhile.

sorry...just needing to vent and I"m just frustrated as hell. Ever since :flop: I have been in lost/indecisive mode. thanks for listening/reading...

J Kimmel
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
didn't you go to CM '07? maybe its the chevy drivetrain in your toyota :shrug:

AxleIke
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
We all get that way.

Best fix for it is to take a break, and start checking out other builds, hang out with some cruiser heads, and get back in the mood. Then start working on it again.

There are days when I walk out, look at my truck and think, "Man, what a beater piece of crap. It'll never look good again or be what I want." It happens.

Sorry man, Hope things start looking up.

Romer
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
We have all been were you are at. Wait til both kids are in soccer and your coaching and you have to be in both games across town in crappy times that chew up the whole day. yada yada yada. Don't get me wrong I am glad I coached and had fun, but I am glad I am now retired.

Work has got me down and burned out. Thinking I would like to go back to Lockheed because the work there is really cool and fun, but can't afford the paycut with 1 kid in college and one about to be.

Only, I never look at my truck and wonder why I am building it up. I am real happy with my truck and where it is going. It provides a release valve for me. Maybe you just need to find your release valve. Something, as Bill Morgan puts it, " touches the soul"

BogusBlake
10-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Yep, everyone who's built a truck themselves has been there. It's one of the things that makes you appreciate all the work you've done when you're finally out on the trail in a badass rig.

I got major burn-out about 95% through building my buggy. Every time I went out to work on it, I only ended up pissed off and caught myself producing mediocre work (which I then had to redo, which got me more pissed off). That's the polar opposite reason I started the project in the first place. I decided (with not a little convincing from my wife) to close the garage and not work on the buggy for a month or two. During that time, I wheeled my other truck a little, and rode along in some friend's finished buggies. I didn't allow myself to work on my own junk until I was really fired up again.

One other piece of advice is to set a number of measurable and attainable goals for each day you work on your rig. Actually writing a list and crossing tasks off as you complete them really helps keep your head in the game. It sounds cheesy, but it works.

If you really think you've hit a wall, have a build party. Even if you don't get a whole lot done, you'll get to hang out with friends and drink beer.:beer:

Red_Chili
10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Life has its rhythms. I have never made a good decision in the downswing though, and never when I am anxious. Those are the decisions I regret later even though they seem to bring some closure in the near term. DAMHIK.

IMHO, walking away for a while, taking the pressure off, and not doing something permanent gives the soul time to listen to what moves you again. YMMV of course.

[EDIT] It just occurred to me that this is pretty true of marriages and parenting too... :lmao:

Nay
10-11-2007, 12:28 AM
High maintenance kids (by definition if you want it to be good :D)
High maintenance marriage (by definition if you want it to be good :D)
High maintenance truck (by definition unless you have an 80 :eek::hill:;))

Same reason why I can't get around to picking up those gears and getting them to you, each day is just unreal and there is always something.

We took a trip this weekend down highway 67 and all over the place and into Morrison from Woodland Park - pure wanderlust, I had to get out. Did me a world of good and the kids loved it. Not "wheeling", but I don't know what I'd do if I was stuck in a place with no escapes like we have in Colorado.

It'll come back :cheers:

trucruiser
10-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Ben,
Look at the bright side, atleast you can still look out your window and see your cruiser. and go outside and tinker with it when you have a chance.
My wife lost a couple accounts with her business due to closures and I had to sell my 60for not much profit to make up for some lost revenue. It sucks now I have a small amount of money -$1000.00 to get a car for commuting or another cruiser. You know what kind of cruiser that will get you.
I have to fill the propane tank for the house before winter which is some major cash and I have alot of wood to split to try to supplement my propane heat. My cruiser was my log splitter because i have a wheel worm splitter to split wood its six lug and not universal so I have to borrow my dads 55 if i want split wood now.
Enough of my sob story, Misery loves company huh?
Keep your head up and press on you still have a cruiser.

treerootCO
10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
If it helps any, I haven't touched any of my Cruisers since August 12th.

trucruiser
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Summary:
Ben is tired of his cruiser
I dont have a cruiser
Nay has a high maint life
Romer hates his job
Root wants to erase a scar and hasnt touched a cruiser since Aug.
See you are not a lone at all.
Told ya misery loves company.

You should rename the title of this thread the Depression session.

Nay
10-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not depressed, that's what fermented grapes are for :D

treerootCO
10-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I thinks the gas fumes and carbon monoxide keeps us in denial....time to drive a 45 again, I know where my keys are again. Sometimes I forget they are in my pocket

FJBen
10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
thanks for the replies...

i'm sure we all get that way, it's just been a very busy frustrating year. Had to back out of the band last night as they were wanting to practice/play waaaay more than I could. Of course they all have kids my age (old farts :) ) so that creates some issues.

I"m going to sit down and prioritize the list...get it working...

it's just a lot of unfinished bizness...:D Somedays I just shake my head and say WTF....and then others I don't mind one bit tinkering with it.

i've got this laundry list to do.

Nay, no worry on the gears, I have to use a backup 3rd at the moment as mine has spun the shims. but anytime you can get them ;) then I can build my ARB'd 3rd with those gears :)

Red_Chili
10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Ben... BTW, you have a beeeyooteeful 40. Just sayin'...

Uncle Ben
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I have no idea why but 2007 has been one of those years for many. I for one am very happy to see it go! Hang in there Ben and don't do something you will soon regret (like selling your 80). Put the project on hold and gather parts in the meantime. Nothing more fun than taking a couple personal health days and installing and testing a shelf full of accumulated parts! Your 40 is awesome and soon you will have it just the way you want it!

wesintl
10-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Check this out (http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={90A5EC55-BF73-4B74-BFB2-499E492DF0C6}&inv=BB5A28DF1E1FF3C&userid={90A5EC55-BF73-4B74-BFB2-499E492DF0C6})

Uncle Ben
10-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Check this out (http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={90A5EC55-BF73-4B74-BFB2-499E492DF0C6}&inv=BB5A28DF1E1FF3C&userid={90A5EC55-BF73-4B74-BFB2-499E492DF0C6})

Dayam....good therapy Wes! ;)

FJBen
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Chris is where the HJ45 went. He does awesome restorations on the rigs. Very nice guy. We keep in touch a bunch, I"m glad someone got it that could fix it up nicely.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={90A5EC55-BF73-4B74-BFB2-499E492DF0C6}&inv=BB5A28DF1E1FF3C&userid={90A5EC55-BF73-4B74-BFB2-499E492DF0C6}&AlbumId={DB8FE5C5-98F3-46AF-9D46-8E6025DE2C2A}&inv=BB5A28DF1E1FF3C&GroupId={64CE7B89-E656-40D3-A050-6ED43EBF9CA8}

wesintl
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
that was the link I meant to post ;)

I try not to overindulge in projects I know are too much for me. I know I could probably do a full resto but I don't have the time esp now. They only thing i've done all year is a rebuild on the fj40 front end and that was when the wife and kid were in ny. I always make sure I another car to drive so my project can sit if it needs to. I like to tinker and rebuild things. I need to find a weekend to install my turbo. Got me a volvo T3. can't wait to smoke em soon. :hill:

I also got lucky and found a '89 supra ct26 for $59 needs a rebuild though. So I dunno what i'm going to run :confused: As I was pulling it 3 people asked if they could buy it. lol

Jenny Cruiser
10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I have no idea why but 2007 has been one of those years for many. I for one am very happy to see it go!

You got that right. It's been a good year in some ways, but the sooner 07 is over the better.

Red_Chili
10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I feel the same way as you may well imagine.

But the only problem with wishing a year will go soon, is that you end up running out of them!

Beater
10-12-2007, 01:05 PM
same here.. may not make 2008, but maybe I will. Even considering selling the truck, as building one is half the fun when I start again..

hmmm.. suicide doored t100 longbed, with an exo... hmmm

who knows, I know that I only feel guilty that I am not helping with the group, and that I am not using my truck.. other than that, I am coming to grips with not wheeling/camping for a while

Red_Chili
10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Sometimes you just gotta take a little different direction, a little different focus... change is as good as a holiday.

Picking up a new-to-me Starcraft 10R/T popup tomorrow (GreenMachine saw the somewhat, um, 'experienced' Viking going up to antelope hunting. It went more or less the same heading as the Chili as John passed us, +/- 20* or so).

Gnarly. Pulling it with the Chili (try THAT with a buggy!!) and goin' elk hunting. In relative luxury. Stoked.

treerootCO
10-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Anyone can borrow any of my trucks anytime they want. Would you feel better driving around in a 45 for awhile?

treerootCO
10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Would you be interested in a new 55 Ben? I'll buy you a new one if it helps you get out of your funk.

FJBen
10-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Would you be interested in a new 55 Ben? I'll buy you a new one if it helps you get out of your funk.

lol I would love a 55 :D I thought things were starting to get a bit better, but then I just had to quit the band :( The were wanting to practice 2 times a week and on the weekends...so I just couldn't commit every weekend.

So after a weekend in Nebraska (1 speeding ticket later for $244, thanks nebraska po po) I think I"m going to borrow the mother in laws POS truck to try and get some of my stuff taken care of and then see how I feel about everything. Either I will be super happy and ready to explore, or I'm going to want to sell it and back down to a clean stockish setup that I won't mess up ;)

Red_Chili
10-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Don't be makin' any permanent decisions there, Ben! You'll be posting how much you regret it...:(

FJBen
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Don't be makin' any permanent decisions there, Ben! You'll be posting how much you regret it...:(

oh I"m not making those decisions yet, I just want to let it sit so I can work on it without the pressure of having to have it done to drive everyday.

just noticed my toe in was actuall toe out...:( and I think causing wear on my front tires, they look a little more wore than the rears :(

ok think happy thoughts...:beer: