PDA

View Full Version : 1975-1984 Fj40 front doors wanted

treerootCO
10-11-2007, 09:32 AM
I am looking for a pair of 1975-1984 front Fj40 doors. Minimal rust if at all possible.

Also looking for a 1/75-1984 Fj40 windshield frame. - Gary needs one

Time to build my hardtop up to match the rest of the truck. Fj40s with hardtops are sexy

Hulk
10-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I haven't run my hard top since 2001.

subzali
10-12-2007, 07:12 AM
I just repainted my hardtop so it's sexy.

Romer
10-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Notice how the single guys think the hardtop is sexy:rolleyes:

MDH33
10-12-2007, 08:03 AM
I just repainted my hardtop so it's sexy.

We require pictures. :thumb:

nakman
10-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Hard tops are quieter, warmer, and you can stick magnets to them. My next 40 will have a hard top for sure.

question: If you had a later model 40, can you use an older model hard top? You know, with the flip-up hatch and split tailgate, instead of ambulance doors? Is the only difference the rear doors?

Hulk
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I think it depends on how late your late model is. They changed the tub starting with model year 1979.

MDH33
10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
There's also differences in the windshield and where the wipers are. Older tops have the cutouts for the wipers and the bolt holes do not align correctly along the windshield channel.

treerootCO
10-12-2007, 10:50 AM
The hardtop makes a 40 look like a short bus. If a gal is going to fault me for riding the short bus then she is not the one for me ;)

I would post pics but I need to find some doors before I can put the top back on. It will be a lot easier to paint everything at once then to do everything twice.

corsair23
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
There's also differences in the windshield and where the wipers are. Older tops have the cutouts for the wipers and the bolt holes do not align correctly along the windshield channel.

x2...BTDT

On my 12/74 it has the "older" style tub, older style hard doors, etc. but with the newer windshield frame (wipers at the bottom). This was a surprise when I got my hardtop and found it needed to be modified to fit. Ron @ RMC basically stated you never get them to seal perfectly but it is much worse trying to fit the wrong years top on the wrong years body and he advises against it. On my top (which Ron put on for me while it was getting its checkout :thumb:) it had to have new holes drilled into the windshield channel piece for the bolt hole locations and then filler squished in to get it to seal somewhat.

The issue is actually with the windshield channel piece that attaches to the fiberglass hardtop and subsequently gets bolted to the windshield frame. It is possible to graft a newer style channel (or vice versa) to the fiberglass top if you can find one. The concern there is dealing with 30+ year old fiberglass and the rivets holding that channel on and successfully getting the old channel off and the new channel on (and secure) without destroying the fiberglass top :eek:

IMO it is much easier to put an older style top (with the hatch) on a newer body (up to possibly '79?) than the other way as you don't have to deal with the ambulance door lower striker plates etc.

nuclearlemon
10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
It is possible to graft a newer style channel (or vice versa) to the fiberglass top if you can find one. The concern there is dealing with 30+ year old fiberglass and the rivets holding that channel on and successfully getting the old channel off and the new channel on (and secure) without destroying the fiberglass top :eek:

actaully, i'd say finding a w/s channel that's even close to decent would be the hardest part. i've got a few that i'm hording, but even those are rotted out at the ends.:(

Rezarf
10-13-2007, 08:23 AM
actaully, i'd say finding a w/s channel that's even close to decent would be the hardest part. i've got a few that i'm hording, but even those are rotted out at the ends.:(

Sounds like it is time to get Matt Tarnow involved :thumb:

Rezarf
10-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Mike-

Stacy has the camera this weekend but I will get you a few pics of the doors I have, they are not rust free, but they are far from ruined.

Drew

Rezarf
10-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Mike here are the doors I gots...

They are rough but usable. Out of 10 I would give them a solid 6.

This is door number one, it is missing a lock, and a few other little things. A PO drilled three non factory holes for a huge mirror (guessing here). All the glass is solid and the window felts/tracks are okay, but what you would expect for the condition of the doors. Personally, I love the color! :lmao:

Rezarf
10-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Door number 2.

This one is rougher than the other for sure. It has a bit of surface rust that could be sanded out without any trouble, it is much lighter than it looks. There is some pin holes in the lower door corner, so that area is pretty rough. The inner bottom inch section of the doors is rusted out. The inner panel is bent up and has some sort of glue or silicone on it.

That is what I gots.

treerootCO
10-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Are you also interested in selling the ambulance doors? I think the doors could be salvaged with some new metal welded in.

corsair23
10-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Guess I'll keep the extra one I have then :D - I didn't realize they were tough to find and got one in partial trade for that old Kayline rear tire/jerry can holder I had for sale awhile back...Seems to be in good shape but I haven't convinced myself that possibly screwing up the fiberglass top to swap out the channel is the smartest move :confused:

Rezarf
10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Are you also interested in selling the ambulance doors? I think the doors could be salvaged with some new metal welded in.

I don't have an extra set of amby doors, the ones in the back ground are for my hardtop.

Drew

bigbluefj
10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
i have a spare windshield i take a look at it and take some pic's for you...

bigbluefj
10-15-2007, 09:59 PM
not sure of the year but this is what i have...

bigbluefj
10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
few more