PDA

View Full Version : My new James Bond Car (As daughterofromer calls it)

Romer
10-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I have been slowly researching and evaluating other cars for commuter cars so when the time was right I could get the right one and not be in an impulse buying mode. I researched Toyota's, Honda's, Lexus and BMW's over the last few months.

I decided I wanted something sporty, better gas mileage and fun to drive. Something completely different that the 80 as I still plan on driving that to work during bad weather and when I feel like it.

I was looking at older (mid 90's) BMWs. There are a lot of BMW sites like mud and found a lot of good technical info on the different BMW series. I was debating between a sedan or a convertible and found their roadster Z3 which was pretty cool and still expensive for a 10 year old car. In 2003 the roadster had a major redesign in the Z4. Z4's are like $50K and I was just browsing through ads to educate myself on the BMW line when I find a 2003 Z4 for $16K from a private seller. Call the seller to ask a few questions and they said it was just out of the 4 year warranty except for the engine which was replaced to an internal problem. The engine has a 2 year warranty on it.

I check the records at the dealer and no big trouble issue had to do with an exhaust valve cracking and rather than tearing down the motor to get at it, BMW decided to just replace the whole thing. No problem on PM because under the warranty period, all PM was free and they kept up on it.

So I go and look at this and it's like brand new. It was more than I was planning on spending but this was such a great deal and they guy decided to give me another $500 because I asked what his buy today price was.

This 2003 Z4 was cheaper than most of the late 90 Z3's and $10,000 less than comparable Z4's. I had to get it and daughterofromer agreed (2nd picture).

Drove it home and it is awesome on the highway. Sun peaked out for a bit and the top goes down in 7 seconds with the push of a button. Sweeeet

I know, it's not a Toyota:eek:

Uncle Ben
10-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Sweet! All that's missing is a HUGE Beamer sticker on the back! :lmao::hill:

bigbluefj
10-13-2007, 10:21 PM
hey dad can i borrow the beamer

Hulk
10-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Sweet ride, Ken! Looks really nice.

bskey
10-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice car! Great price!! Should be a very different kind of fun from the Yota!

Vitesse_6
10-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Nice, Thats less than I paid for my wifes '98 M3 sedan

Rezarf
10-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Ken, I drove one of the Z3's in Germany on the autoban... everytime I see one of those things I have a flood of memories that make me want to drive fast!... and then I realize I am lucky to be around still. We did over 135... in the rain! :eek:

The Z4's are even cooler.

Sweet ride Ken, you gotta take me around the block sometime in it.

Drew

acon40
10-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Not sure if I am right but it looks to be from boulder at the blockbuster by baseline and foothils with a damn boulder cop driving by in the backgrouns in the white suv (like always). Damn I am good. If not...nevermind ;)......that is my fav style!

Romer
10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Not sure if I am right but it looks to be from boulder at the blockbuster by baseline and foothils with a damn boulder cop driving by in the backgrouns in the white suv (like always). Damn I am good. If not...nevermind ;)......that is my fav style!

Yup, I bought it from a private seller in Boulder. We stopped for lunch at that new Healthy Japanese Restaurant. It was pretty good.

Drew- it's a different ride. On the way home I looked down and was going 90 and didn't even realize it. The instant acceleration in this thing is amazing

Edit _ pictures showing new cup holders :D

Uncle Ben
10-14-2007, 09:17 AM

Good spot! I missed it when I first seen the pictures. You totally nailed the location (and the damn cop that is always there). :thumb:

bigbluefj
10-14-2007, 09:17 AM
So ken old friend are you going to let me take her for a ride when i come to the ralley next year... :D:D:D:D:thumb::thumb:

kevin

Romer
10-14-2007, 09:27 AM
So ken old friend are you going to let me take her for a ride when i come to the ralley next year... :D:D:D:D:thumb::thumb:

kevin

Excuse me. I know what happens when you drive things :eek:

And this doesn't even count the time you hit the deer, busted your knuckle, killed your fan:blah::blah: . . . Need I go on.

Romer
10-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Installed one of these on it yet Ken?

BUA (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parking-Sensors-W-LED-Monitor-Back-Up-Parking-Alarm-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33721QQihZ013QQitemZ230179474952QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

That comes after I figure out how the ejection seat works.

bigbluefj
10-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Excuse me. I know what happens when you drive things :eek:

And this doesn't even count the time you hit the deer, busted your knuckle, killed your fan:blah::blah: . . . Need I go on.

thank's kevin i needed a good laugh....

kevin

Uncle Ben
10-14-2007, 11:19 AM
thank's kevin i needed a good laugh....

kevin

You should know I have you back doood! ;)

bigbluefj
10-14-2007, 11:20 AM
for some reason i don't look to happy in the picture....

timmbuck2
10-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Ken, you are easily the coolest Dad on the block!!! Very nice...

PabloCruise
10-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Enjoy!

powderpig
10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Just wondering if it has gagets? like a back up camera or stuff to protect you from certain doom? Full air bags? Rockets? grease despenser(for rapid get ways)?
Way cool car, This is a car that would put a smile on my face when I drive it fast. Enjoy it and be safe. robbie

wesintl
10-14-2007, 09:47 PM
sweet...let us know how the z4 forums are ;)

Romer
10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
sweet...let us know how the z4 forums are ;)

They are much busier than Mud with about 2000+ people on at a time. Not very detailed in the Z4 section since most of them are still under the factory 4 year warranty. The older sections are more technical when I was skimming but haven't spent much time in there. Lots of BMW merchandise and vendors.

Shark Bait
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm sure you'll be the tech moderator in short order. Nice score, Ken! :bowdown::clap:

corsair23
10-14-2007, 11:31 PM
But...but...but it is so wittle :lol: :D:

Nice score Ken :thumb:

Red_Chili
10-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Let us know who you want to ride with to CM08.

Since you will no longer have a license... :lmao:

Jenny Cruiser
10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Nice score. I don't know much about the Z4s other than they look best with the top down. Is it a slush box or manual? BMTroubleU's are great driving cars, but are maintenance intensive. I loved my 5 speed 525I. Great cross-country road car as are the 7 series. I looked at a 740I the other day. Very tempting black on black beauty. There's lots of very cool people on the BMW Forumz. :cool: