PDA

View Full Version : Diesel swap pointless?

acon40
10-14-2007, 11:16 AM
So I am am still flipping back and forth on this. My goal is to have all my cars on Bio. Wife has a vw Golf TDI. I have the cruiser FJ80 I plan to swap. Come spring or summer when I track down a black one, I am getting a VW Golf TDI also (or R32 haha still up in the air on one this and then the bio is out the window).

Here is the problem. I do not want to have 5 cars. just those three.....for now atleast. While converting the fj80 to diesel is great, I dunno if it's really a smart move for something I will drive as a second vehicle. I know for a fact the power sucks as is right now and something will be done, but I begin to wonder what my best option is.....or shall I say the smarter. I would think a supercharger puts me at 5k, diesel swap at 15k. MPG still suck, but oh well. Thoughts? I am rather torn.

ginericLC
10-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Which diesel were you thinking of swapping in?

I've researched them a lot for the 80 series. I've had two 80s that I thought were going to be the guinea pigs but they slipped through somehow. Something about my wife talking about divorce if I did another engine conversion. My preferred motor is the Isuzu 4BD1T. I also looked at VM Motori, the Cummins 4BT, Mitsubishi, John Deere, and everything else under the sun.

The other big set back was economics. It just doesn't make economic sense to spend 15k on a swap for a vehicle that is going to wear out. Unlike a 40 these parts are not easily or cheaply replaced. All of the good canidates are high mileage rigs. Worn interiors, door handles, hinges, etc... And then dealing with the full time TC. To net 20 mpg for fuel that is more expensive just didn't make sense to me.

And NON US TOYOTA DIESELS, forget about it. I don't care how close you are to your local parts guy and how well he treats you and how quickly he gets you parts. Unless you only plan on using the vehicle locally where your parts guy is it is foolish. Because some day you will break in the middle of nowhere (North Dakota comes to mind) and you'll be hosed.