PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Viking SP165 popup camper

Red_Chili
10-16-2007, 06:45 AM
After 18 years of enjoying this camper, it is time to upgrade. This is a simple popup, with gas heat, gas stove, icebox (not refrigerator), dining area, storage and sleeping accommodations for six. I am the second owner, we bought it as a rental used one year.

It tows fine unless you have a lifted 4Runner with a high hitch, in which case it sways a bit - but that was never a real problem even at 70. It does have a lift kit installed.

It is watertight, but a few years ago it developed a leak in storage and I did not catch it until some water damage was done to the right rear corner (now sealed). This resulted in some mildew, which I have under control with mildew spray, but you will notice some canvas staining, nothing horrible. Since I have used it for hunting, I have not used the onboard water/sink system, and IIRC the pump had frozen and cracked at one point - but these pumps are extremely inexpensive to replace. I cannot remember if the one in there is watertight or not.

There is a small canvas tear in the right rear, which is not a rain problem (been there for years, in fact, since before I bought it). It would be straightforward to repair.

Tires are decent, bearings are good, electrical / lights work. Includes partially filled propane bottle.

This would make a great camper for a hunter or family on a budget.

$750 OBO. PM me and / or reply to this thread, and please note I will be unable to respond from 10/19 through 10/27. First response gets it!

Uncle Ben
10-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Some people just never learn that.....

http://bb.bc4x4.com/images/smilies/worthless_without_pics.gif

Red_Chili
10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
You need a pic of an old Viking popup to visualize it? :confused: :lmao:

:rolleyes:
It is at the storage place, I doubt I will be able to get by there for about a week and a half, but I will give it a go if possible. It is not a gorgeous thing, but it is very functional. $750 is a fair price, just to help you gauge it. The SP165 is about an 8' box, just about right for a minitruck or 4Runner to tow it quite well.

Uncle Ben
10-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm probably just tire kicking anyway. :rolleyes: I have been wanting to snag a decent small pop-up to tear apart and rebuild into a true off highway camper. The units Christo sells inspired me and I have been kicking the idea around for a while. Truth is I'm so freaking busy all the dang time anymore and the resulting stress of being behind has prevented me from progressing in other projects. I am insane for even dreaming of starting a new one.....but hey.....it's a working $750 small pop-up!

You need a pic of an old Viking popup to visualize it? :confused: :lmao:

:rolleyes:
It is at the storage place, I doubt I will be able to get by there for about a week and a half, but I will give it a go if possible. It is not a gorgeous thing, but it is very functional. $750 is a fair price, just to help you gauge it. The SP165 is about an 8' box, just about right for a minitruck or 4Runner to tow it quite well.

wesintl
10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
hum.. i'm interested. does it include storage :hill:

Hulk
10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I might be interested too. Third in line.

Red_Chili
10-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey UB, it would in fact make a great off road camper project. I thought about it in fact, it is very doable. I would put a solid axle and leafs under it, easy to do. Currently it has (as most do) torsion bar suspension, which is pretty good for ground clearance actually. No shocks though.

Like I need more to do, I don't even have interior doors in my house yet... :rolleyes: That's why I bought the Starcraft.

Sorry guys, no storage included. :lmao:
If you wanna see it, we can go out to the storage at C470 and Wadsworth more or less, but I may not be able to find time until the 26th or 27th when I get back with a big brown freezer filler.

wesintl
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
what do they charge you for storage out there?

Red_Chili
10-16-2007, 12:50 PM
It's not broken out separately. We rent a big unit and he just lets me park a trailer out there. I now have two trailers out there and that may strain the generosity just a bit...

Red_Chili
10-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, I found out the manager of the place is OK with it, but not the owner...

They will let me keep it there while elk hunting but when I get back I gotta move it. So Wes, you are first in line if you want it (unless UB has been mulling the plans over and can't live without it!).

Off I go to chase brown furry things, wish me luck. Shoot me a PM if you want to see the popup when I get back.

Red_Chili
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I gotta move this camper. The storage owner is getting antsy. Wes is interested but some other things may get in the way, so jump on it y'all!

It's gonna go on Craigslist soon.

Uncle Ben
10-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I gotta move this camper. The storage owner is getting antsy. Wes is interested but some other things may get in the way, so jump on it y'all!

It's gonna go on Craigslist soon.

Pics will help!

Hulk
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Seriously, pictures are a must. I e-mailed Karie -- we may try to come look at it soon.