PDA

View Full Version : Wanted-22re radiator with auto trans cooler

beatdown83fj60
10-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Looking to get one for an 86 4runner with a 22re. I know most of the radiators out there have provisions for it but I do need this one specifically. Located in Dumont so the closer the better, let me know what you have.

Thank you,

Justin

Red_Chili
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
You are better off upgrading to a 3.0 radiator (three row) with auto trans provisions from radiator.com or such.

beatdown83fj60
10-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd imagine it would work but I have never had an auto toy in my life and I just need the radiator to get me about 400 miles without toasting the auto trans or the motor. I'm getting this sale-448373254@craigslist.org for $800 bucks. Looks cleaner than most and the price is right. I just don't know if I trust the auto trans. I may just get it, throw a rad. in and see if I can sell it for $1500 or find someone who wants to trade it for a SFA pickup with efi. Shoot me a pm or whatever about what you want for the radiator and I'll do my research to see if it fits. I can't imagine it would be any worse than modifying the plumbing for the auto though.

Uncle Ben
10-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I have a second radiator for my truck that I got from Performance Radiator on south Broadway. It has the AT provisions and is 3 core, seems Performance specs the same one for all trucks because I asked for the MT 22R-E one. Personally when I did the engine rebuild, I went back to the original 2-core after having it rodded out and painted (used Aurora Radiator, really nice guys). For some reason with the Performance Radiator when engine braking downhill, like cruising from the Tunnel to Frisco, the temp would dive and the t-stat would close. In the winter this was a big PITA, the heater would start blowing really cold air, freezing Kirsten's feet. That wasn't gonna work... Since going back the original radiator the temp gauge is rock solid, although I haven't driven through anything really cold yet. IOW, I have an extra radiator that should fit the bill, although it's from a '89-'95, so I dunno if that will fit.

A cool thing to do if you have an auto radiator in a stick vehicle is hook up your PS return line through it!

Red_Chili
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I did that... and found that I was actually heating the PS fluid!

Uncle Ben
10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I did that... and found that I was actually heating the PS fluid!

Hopefully not past 220* ! ATF/PS fluid will break down at 290* but your coolant (hopefully) will never get that high. Old faithful will show up at 240*!