PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual Spooky Night Run

nakman
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Oh my how the time flies.. but it's time again to dress up the truck, put another layer on the kids, and head out for the annual Spooky Night Run. This year we'll attempt to tackle Kingston Peak, and whatever amount of snow it has on it. At some point we'll park & do the official cook out, then it's back in trucks and head across the tundra then down towards Alice. We'll meet at 5:00, plan on being home around midnight. Spooky!!! :eek:

I've never run this trail so late in the year, so not too sure what to expect. If the snow gets too deep we can always turn around and head back the way we came.. should be a ton of fun in either case.

Meet in Rollinsville at 5:00 PM on Saturday evening, October 27.

Bring warm clothes, and something to contribute to the big cookout. My requests would include hot chocolate, chili, queso dip, coffee... but heck I like everything. Last year some folks brought sleds, which made for some great entertainment as well. also you can leave the beer at home... as this is a huge night for roadside checkpoints anyway.

Hope a bunch of you can make it out, should be a georgous night and a lot of fun.... who's coming? :thumb:

Red_Chili
10-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I wonder if I will have elk kabobs to thrown on the grill?
Aw, just realized I won't have the CWD testing back... hafta settle for turbogoat I guess. I *might* make it, all depending on when I get back from the elk hunt.

Groucho
10-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I think the spooksters from the Miller family will try and be there!

Kipper
10-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Next year maybe we can discuss doing this a weekend earlier or on a Friday? I'm always committed to a party on the Saturday before Halloween. I guess I could try to get them to move their party too. Anyone else have scheduling conflicts or am I the only one faced with this annual conundrum?

nakman
10-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Next year maybe we can discuss doing this a weekend earlier or on a Friday? I'm always committed to a party on the Saturday before Halloween. I guess I could try to get them to move their party too. Anyone else have scheduling conflicts or am I the only one faced with this annual conundrum?

A weekend earlier isn't a bad suggestion, and yes I'm missing out on a party because I've signed up to lead this. Ok Kipper next year we'll do this on Saturday October 18th. To do Friday instead we'd have to push the meeting time out a couple hours, which is too late to be out, IMO..

60wag
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Yea, the Sat before Halloween is always a busy one. Veloswap is that afternoon. My local climbing gym puts on a great party/comp that I hate to miss. Descisions... descisions...

powderpig
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks Tim for posting this up. I will talk to wife and see if she wants to go. As far as I know we have no plans for this night yet. Later Robbie

MDH33
10-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm committed to a party that night as well. :(

Romer
10-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Damn, just yesterday we made a commitment with some old friends to get together that night.

I let Rachel and Sarah know. Maybe they will join you.

nuclearlemon
10-18-2007, 02:54 PM
sucks that i'm gonna miss it, but i'm rsvp'd to visit the toyota museum in cali.:(

corsair23
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
We plan to attend - whether alone or with the family :thumb:

As for the weekend you run it...I guess you could change it to a week earlier or a week later and call it the "Not So Spooky Run" or the "Less Spooky Run" :hill:

ROD!
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
O i really wish i could go but i am working that night! sounds like fun though.....speaking of work, if by anychance anyone wants to do something else spooky for halloween and support a fellow wheeler you could always stop by 13th door and Slaughterhouse gultch. They are both haunted houses where i happen to work. Just advertising!

Kipper
10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Ok Kipper next year we'll do this on Saturday October 18th. To do Friday instead we'd have to push the meeting time out a couple hours, which is too late to be out, IMO..

Sweeet! :thumb: I agree, friday isn't a great idea.

Boulder Cruiser
10-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Count me in, it'll be me,my sis, and my girlfriend. Maybe i missed it but where is the meeting place in Rollinsville? Ive never been up there.

Uncle Ben
10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Count me in, it'll be me,my sis, and my girlfriend. Maybe i missed it but where is the meeting place in Rollinsville? Ive never been up there.

Rollinsville (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollinsville,_Colorado) is basically a place more than a city. A resteraunt, couple houses couple misc shops, few abandoned buildings, but most importantly the junction of Rollins Pass road and Highway 119 (Peak to Peak). Usually meet just after you turn onto Rollins Pass Road.

Boulder Cruiser
10-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Rollinsville (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollinsville,_Colorado) is basically a place more than a city. A resteraunt, couple houses couple misc shops, few abandoned buildings, but most importantly the junction of Rollins Pass road and Highway 119 (Peak to Peak). Usually meet just after you turn onto Rollins Pass Road.

Cool, cant wait!

MDH33
10-22-2007, 08:30 AM

This is where we met for the 40's only run, worked well, lots of space:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/179700521-L.jpg

subzali
10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I'll try to make it Tim! I got the chains in the back!

Uncle Ben
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I'll try to make it Tim! I got the chains in the back!

Don't need no stinking chains! ;) :bowdown::kevin:

daughterofromer
10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm coming too with my boyfriend Matt who I think a lot of you have met. Should we bring like a side dish thing to share with everyone or dinner? How many people (about) are going and what's the food situation?

Red_Chili
10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Rats, I can't make it. My rear brake circuit failed when up elk hunting and I got to tow a new camper back with only front brakes and trailer brakes, I don't think anyone wants to be in front of me that night!!
Master cylinder ordered from Marlin but won't be here in time.
Have a great time!

Uncle Ben
10-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Rats, I can't make it. My rear brake circuit failed when up elk hunting and I got to tow a new camper back with only front brakes and trailer brakes, I don't think anyone wants to be in front of me that night!!
Master cylinder ordered from Marlin but won't be here in time.
Have a great time!

That don't matter AS LONG as the freezers full!(?) Report on 45 needed!

Uncle Ben
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Tim,
Are you coordinating munchies or does everyone just bring chips and dip?

What is the main course? ;)

Head count?

nakman
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking of doing chili dogs this year.. or maybe Italian sausage sandwiches.. and I can take care of the bulk of that.. and I'll also come up with an herbivorous alternative for Corp. O'Reilly & Co, plus whatever else I think of while at the store. If everyone else could just bring something easy to share that would be great, really hard to go wrong though. Just remember it's going to be relatively dark, and cold, and quite possibly windy.. so hot queso dip tends to be a little more popular than spinach salad. Anything that you'd enjoy eating while standing up with gloves on :)

daughterofromer
10-25-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking of doing chili dogs this year.. or maybe Italian sausage sandwiches.. and I can take care of the bulk of that.. and I'll also come up with an herbivorous alternative for Corp. O'Reilly & Co, plus whatever else I think of while at the store. If everyone else could just bring something easy to share that would be great, really hard to go wrong though. Just remember it's going to be relatively dark, and cold, and quite possibly windy.. so hot queso dip tends to be a little more popular than spinach salad. Anything that you'd enjoy eating while standing up with gloves on :)

Yum! Matt and I will make sure to bring a side dish type thing to share, I'm excited!

Boulder Cruiser
10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
My dad owns an Italian resturant so ill have them make me a few pizzas if that works for you guys? Anything specific toppings???

nakman
10-26-2007, 08:11 AM
My dad owns an Italian resturant so ill have them make me a few pizzas if that works for you guys? Anything specific toppings???

Are you kidding!!?? YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! You bet, bring on some pizza!!! My request would be one that's all veggie, and one or two that's the antithesis of veggie. I have a feeling participation just went up.. :bowdown:

Jacket
10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm trying to talk the :Princess: into this, but I'm facing some resistance. Something about cold weather and whinny kids :dunno:

powderpig
10-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Well I will be coming, but no wife, Ty or McCall. All have some form of commitment that night. I will be looking forward to playing with you all. Post up what you want me to bring Tim and I will bring it along. Catch you all tomorrow night. robbie

subzali
10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
My boss Gary is coming with his stock FJ60, and I'll try to bring something to add to the selection of füd :D that can be carried in the Brahma :thumb:

Jeff, I got your air cleaner and instrument gauge too

corsair23
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
My boss Gary is coming with his stock FJ60, and I'll try to bring something to add to the selection of füd :D that can be carried in the Brahma :thumb:

Jeff, I got your air cleaner and instrument gauge too

:cool: on the boss coming, and thanks for bringing the parts :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll have something slow cooking in the crock pot on the trail! I'm guessing it will have come from the Glenwood Springs area last year! ;):cool: :thumb:

treerootCO
10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
UB picked up the first mod for my 80 so I might have to show up now.

corsair23
10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
UB picked up the first mod for my 80 so I might have to show up now.

Would be great if you are able to!

Anyone heard about the snow up there? Thinking of throwing some sleds in for the kids but hard to sled if it is still just rocks and dirt :hill:

nuclearlemon
10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
dang, sounds like some good food and good times...sorry i'll miss it.:(

Boulder Cruiser
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok so is 4 pizzas going to be enough? I can have them make something else to... If i cant get the tires mounted in time Is my titan going to be able to make up?

nakman
10-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Dude, you could almost do this in the IS... see ya tomorrow!

Ol'Grateful
10-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Newbie/Old Fart Ol' Grateful will make it for the first run with the 60. Wicked hot chili and corn bead will come along too. Subzali will be my seeing eye dog...or is that my Radar.

Gary

treerootCO
10-27-2007, 07:16 PM
The brakes too a little longer than I thought on Beth's Cruiser. I'll make it next year. If anyone wants to, free beer at my house. I started drinking at dinner, may as well keep it up for a bit. :)

Uncle Ben
10-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Great run Sir Nakgadget! What time did everyone get home? Matt and I had no issues and actually went full spooky and explored a new route and as Nak thought, we came out on rd 175 ot the Kingston Peak road. Very cool!

I got home at 02:30 :snail::doh:

corsair23
10-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Great run Sir Nakgadget! What time did everyone get home? Matt and I had no issues and actually went full spooky and explored a new route and as Nak thought, we came out on rd 175 ot the Kingston Peak road. Very cool!

I got home at 02:30 :snail::doh:

Pulled into the driveway right about 1:00am - slow going down the canyon with the gamblers :(

Boulder Cruiser
10-28-2007, 03:34 PM
i got home home 1:04, right as we were pulling into the gas station in Ned we ran out of gas and coasted in :hill:

powderpig
10-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I was home by 12:30 but did not hit the bed until 1am. Stoke the fire, take a quick shower, pet the dog. did sleep good. Was a great time. robbie

corsair23
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
i got home home 1:04, right as we were pulling into the gas station in Ned we ran out of gas and coasted in :hill:

Glad you made it to a gas station! We were wondering and kept an eye out for you heading down the canyon towards Golden but figured you probably didn't go that way.